• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotters dicing with death

Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Yankee

Whenever I "trainspot", safety is my priority. My life is worth more than a picture of a train. I stand at least 1 feet (30 centimeters) from the edge of a platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Phil6219

I can't remember now but isn't the yellow line 300mm from the edge, ergo 30cm? Or is that the white line?

As for the video of the dipstick hiding under the train, chuffin' 'eck, words fail me.

Phil 8-)

Tommy3000

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Whenever I "trainspot", safety is my priority. My life is worth more than a picture of a train. I stand at least 1 feet (30 centimetres) from the edge of a platform.
This discussion is in the National Rail section of this forum so I'll point out that is not far enough!

Though I accept that you will be referring to other transport systems in your area, such as metros where the requirements may be far less than on National Rail.

But I feel it is important to note that distinction to anyone reading this, you do need to be careful how your posts will be interpreted, as some people have interpreted your post as an admission to standing too close!

Flamingo

Established Member
One of our drivers was taking a HST to Cheltenham a few weeks ago, on the Kemble branch line he comes around a curve to see two idiots with cameras in the four foot straight ahead of him. He slammed in the brake and manages to stop, they legged it (discription male, 20's, well dressed). When he got his breath back he took it on slowly to GCR and it was terminated there, as he was too shaken to continue.

If anybody knows anything, or spots the resulting pictures anywhere, let FGW or BTP know. These two idiots nearly killed themselves, inconvenienced a lot of passengers, and frightened the crap out of a very good driver - they need a bloody good kicking.

NY Yankee

This discussion is in the National Rail section of this forum so I'll point out that is not far enough!

Though I accept that you will be referring to other transport systems in your area, such as metros where the requirements may be far less than on National Rail.

But I feel it is important to note that distinction to anyone reading this, you do need to be careful how your posts will be interpreted, as some people have interpreted your post as an admission to standing too close!

Obviously the distance will vary depending on the mode of transportation (hence the words "AT LEAST"). If it's a NYC subway train then 1 feet will suffice. If it's a high speed Amtrak Acela train, then I obviously need to move back further.

anthony263

Established Member
One of our drivers was taking a HST to Cheltenham a few weeks ago, on the Kemble branch line he comes around a curve to see two idiots with cameras in the four foot straight ahead of him. He slammed in the brake and manages to stop, they legged it (discription male, 20's, well dressed). When he got his breath back he took it on slowly to GCR and it was terminated there, as he was too shaken to continue.

If anybody knows anything, or spots the resulting pictures anywhere, let FGW or BTP know. These two idiots nearly killed themselves, inconvenienced a lot of passengers, and frightened the crap out of a very good driver - they need a bloody good kicking.

certainly cannot blame him for being shaken.

More than likely I suspect those two spotters were local although that said considering how far we all get about its possible they could have been visiting the area from elsewhere in the UK.

Still I agree these two should get a visit from the BTP along with getting a good yelling at maybe more. I would really call them enthusiasts more like a bunch of idiots playing with their lives especially since the situation could have been far more serious

Temple Meads

Established Member
I never imagined that anyone would get excited about a train's horn. What a bunch of insufferable nerds.

But at the end of the day people do, everyone has a hobby, and some are stranger than others!

We shouldn't in any way look down upon these people (IMO), but they do themselves no favours by acting in such a foolish manner.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I never imagined that anyone would get excited about a train's horn. What a bunch of insufferable nerds.

I think your criticism of their hobby is a little unwarranted. By all means criticise the idiotic behaviour, but there are plenty of other people with the same hobby but are perfectly sensible.

JoeGJ1984

I have seen several photters all in their 50's+ Normally over the Do not pass this point at platform ends! I must say at stations Like Tiverton Parkway I will occasionally venture down the platform ramps (Where it is Permitted!) And only when it is a train that is stopping/Stationary or Departing.

Is it permitted? I've never been there but looking here, it seems that there is no ramp down to the track that can be used by passengers, and these ramps at the ends of platforms will have a sign saying not to pass this point at the top of the ramp. The exceptions are where a barrow crossing is provided, but that does not seem to be the case at Tiverton Parkway.

Established Member
Is it permitted? I've never been there but looking here, it seems that there is no ramp down to the track that can be used by passengers, and these ramps at the ends of platforms will have a sign saying not to pass this point at the top of the ramp. The exceptions are where a barrow crossing is provided, but that does not seem to be the case at Tiverton Parkway.

The sign is at the bottom of the ramp and the staff there have never had a problem.

PR1Berske

Established Member

To see things from another perspective, they may not be nerds. They could be autistic, for example, and find pleasure in things which might seem unusual to you. I notice the way that they get enjoyment from the sound of the horns is very innocent/child-like, so it's not as though they're some kind of purist who has a scholarly attitude towards numbers/classes.

I understand the problem which might come from encouraging drivers to react whilst in charge of a train going at fast pace through a station. I don't get why they're "insufferable" though.

ex-railwayman

At the end of the day, there is a difference between the spotters and photographers from the 70's/80's and today, back then there was no You Tube. or, other video hosting sites, blimey, there wasn't even any internet, so, nobody could share silly videos and show off to the world, which is what 50% of videos do nowadays. We live in a society of idiots, where common sense has gone out of the window, there is no discipline, no manners and safety procedures have gone right out of the window. I remember a few years ago I visited Crewe to see a Steamer, took my camera, which was affixed to a tripod, but, stood back behind the platform line wordings to get a photograph from a safe distance, and what happens, about 8 people pushed past me and stood right in my line of vision virtually hanging over the edge, and a couple of them were older than me, and I 'aint a young 'un any more.
Whilst their are platforms (forgive the pun) for silly, unlawful and downright idiotic videos to be broadcast to all and sundry via the internet, folks will still break the law and risk their lives, without due care to themselves, or, anyone else in the vicinity, especially railway staff who are going about their daily jobs, folks seem to switch off to what's going on around them, and disregard everything they've probably been taught, and I daresay seen for themselves, just to get a photograph, or, capture a video on their iPods, many to post on a website, just to see their name up in lights.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

The Snap

Established Member
Not the Thurston incident, been discussed numerous times... http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=32741 was the original thread.

It is well known that the minority let the majority down when it comes to stuff like this.

Never seen that vidoe from Thurston. What a tool! And he didn't even look that bothered...:roll:

If the driver was completely heartless and wouldn't have been too fussed if he'd have clipped the guy, it's a bit of a shame he didn't!! :lol:. I joke of course.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There isn't much else that can be added to this discussion so this thread is now closed.

I have also reported all these videos to youtube control. I'm not holding my breath as to whether they take any action.

Status
Not open for further replies.