• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Spotting' at Leeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyandy

Hi,
I am wanting to go to Leeds station to do some 'spotting' in the near future. My question is what are staff like about people 'spotting' at the end of the platform, are they ok with it or do they tell you to move off the station?

I will have a valid ticket from Liverpool-Leeds if that makes any difference...

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

erichoward1983

I used to commute from Leeds and saw plenty of spotters at the west end of the station (the A end of platforms as they're numbered at Leeds).

Genocide

The big island platform (5-8) usually has spotters on the west end of it so presumably you'll be tolerated.

I'd imagine that with binoculars you'd be able to spot the locos on Whitehall cord from there as well.

Alistair G.

I was there this summer and they we're fine. 1 member of staff just came yo to me to remind me not to cross certain boundaries (not that I would anyway, think they have obviously had people in the past try it) but wasn't funny about it and we actually had a chat about the station and the stock through it for about 10mins, so you'll be fine mate

Condor7

would carrying on to York not be better?

I guess if you prefer freight trains then York would be better, so long as you have binoculars to see the avoiding line, if however you like passenger trains, then you can't beat Leeds, there is just so much variety, with a few freight thrown if for good measure.

Bevan Price

Established Member
If you are staying there for several hours, you may find it convenient to take your own food & refreshments. If you exit the platform to visit the shops, the barriers will probably take your outward ticket to Leeds. Toilets are available within the barriers.

One alternative would be to get a Liverpool - Huddersfield return, then a West Yorkshire (Train only) Day Rover, which would allow you to ride to a few other stations if you get cold or fed up - it can get a bit "draughty" standing on Leeds station if the wind is strong.

Condor7

Thanks for all the help! I want to go to Leeds for variety really even if it is mostly units :)

You will certainly get a big variety.

Different classes include 43, 91, 150, 153, 158, 142, 170, 185, 221, 321, 322, 333, and that is without thinking.

You will also get a few freight during the day, mostly 66's, but the odd class 60 as well.

By the way you do not have to leave the platform to eat as there is a Pumpkin on one of the middle platforms (I forget which one off hand) also an undercover waiting room if you want to get out of the wind, or go up into the walkway where you can get a good view of the tracks from above, the only problem is the seats face away from the view.

455driver

Veteran Member
You will certainly get a big variety.

Different classes include 43, 91, 150, 153, 158, 142, 170, 185, 221, 321, 322, 333, and that is without thinking.

First time I went to Leeds there were 03, 08, 25, 31, 37, 40, 45, 46, 47, 55, 101, 105, 108, 110, 111 plus others.

My how things have improved! :cry:

Established Member
I know you've opted for leeds but I'd do a few hours there and zip off to Doncaster, however with the weather being the way it is, you want to be careful when you go.Its been a while since I visited Leeds but I've never had any bother whatsoever on my visits there. wherever you go, happy hunting hope you have an enjoyable day.

D6975

Established Member
One alternative would be to get a Liverpool - Huddersfield return, then a West Yorkshire (Train only) Day Rover, which would allow you to ride to a few other stations if you get cold or fed up - it can get a bit "draughty" standing on Leeds station if the wind is strong.

It also enables you to go past Neville Hill (Cross Gates and back) and Midland Road depots (Woodlesford and back). It's also valid out to Knottingley.

TheWalrus

Established Member
When I went to Leeds I went to the office and signed in and they gave me a visitor badge. I had no trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.