• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotting at main line stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spamcan81

Have made a number of trips out for railway photography. Most have been at locations out in the countryside but I have spent time at both Cheddington and Whittlesea. Both are unstaffed so have had no problems at either location.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sleeper fan

On Moderation
As the last one got locked and no one actually answered my questions I'll ask again.

Cheers!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Linesiding* away from stations isn't a problem and hasn't been for some weeks since the excercise limits were relaxed.

Platform-ending, on the other hand, would probably result in you being asked to leave.

Having said that, I have seen two "platform enders" at Clapham Junction a week ago and staff were not bothering them - rather interestingly this was two days before the non-essential travel ban was lifted.

*At safe locations on the correct side of the fence and not trespassing on any private land, obviously!

sleeper fan

On Moderation
Linesiding* away from stations isn't a problem and hasn't been for some weeks since the excercise limits were relaxed.

Platform-ending, on the other hand, would probably result in you being asked to leave.

Having said that, I have seen two "platform enders" at Clapham Junction a week ago and staff were not bothering them - rather interestingly this was two days before the non-essential travel ban was lifted.

*At safe locations on the correct side of the fence and not trespassing on any private land, obviously!

Excellent thank you! Of course a safe location! I'm thinking Exeter SD but not sure if id get kicked off or no....even if I had a valid ticket to travel?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Excellent thank you! Of course a safe location! I'm thinking Exeter SD but not sure if id get kicked off or no....even if I had a valid ticket to travel?

At the moment, until they start an official "welcome back" campaign, I would suggest trying to avoid hanging around longer than you would need to in order to catch the next train to wherever your ticket was for. I've certainly managed one or two pictures while changing trains on shopping trips prior to Monday's removal of the "essential only" message with no problems.

There must be a convenient location nearby to Exeter St David's from which you could observe most of the movements without having to actually be on the station?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Excellent thank you! Of course a safe location! I'm thinking Exeter SD...
Peter was actually referring to visiting a safe non station location!

Regarding stations, judging by recent reports from enthusiasts around the country,
small and/or unstaffed stations seem absolutely fine (even in the London area*), but
major stations (such as Exeter St.Davids) are still a no go with spotters being
asked to leave.

* in London, other than the termini, the bigger stations such as Clapham Junction
and Stratford have been tolerant of enthusiasts.

MARK

The_Train

Established Member
I've been onto the local (Stafford) a couple of times. Asked staff if it was ok as I arrived and they were fine about it, just asked me to keep a face covering on which I obviously complied with.

I've also seen 3 other spotters on there when I walked past today (2 of whom are regulars and always travel by train). On top of that I've heard of people spending hours at Doncaster (one person reported spending 8 hours there and was one of many spotters at the end of the usual platforms) and also York seems to have become a bit busier with spotters recently (judging by activity on the railcams) and it will be interesting to see how busy York becomes tomorrow as Tornado is due to pass.

Equally, there has been a noticeable increase in photos taken at lots of station locations - big and small, staffed and unstaffed so I don't think you'll find many problems (the only places people are reporting issues is stations in London but it seems a few of those have issues with spotters anyway so that's no surprise). Just be sensible wherever you go, follow the usual guidelines whilst maintaining social distance and make sure you're equipped with a face covering. I'd also probably advise against dashing about the station to get pics and vids from different areas as the more you stay out of the way of regular pax, the less likely you are to draw attention to yourself.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
At the moment, until they start an official "welcome back" campaign, I would suggest trying to avoid hanging around longer than you would need to in order to catch the next train to wherever your ticket was for. I've certainly managed one or two pictures while changing trains on shopping trips prior to Monday's removal of the "essential only" message with no problems.

There must be a convenient location nearby to Exeter St David's from which you could observe most of the movements without having to actually be on the station?

On one of the footpaths alongside the Exe

Enthusiast

What's this "non-essential travel ban" that's been lifted? In England, since 13th May, you have been permitted to travel near enough wherever you like by any means you like provided you had a "reasonable excuse".

Journeyman

Established Member
What's this "non-essential travel ban" that's been lifted? In England, since 13th May, you have been permitted to travel near enough wherever you like by any means you like provided you had a "reasonable excuse".

I wouldn't say spotting was a reasonable excuse, though.

At the moment, I'd stick entirely to unstaffed, quiet locations if I were you.

xotGD

Established Member
Depends what kind of thrash you're talking about. English Electric, that's entirely reasonable. Sulzer? I'll have to think about it.
Excellent!

Incidentally, I wonder if you are allowed to remove your face covering if your head is outside of the train?

greyman42

Established Member
I've been onto the local (Stafford) a couple of times. Asked staff if it was ok as I arrived and they were fine about it, just asked me to keep a face covering on which I obviously complied with.
Why would you be expected to wear a face covering on a platform?

The_Train

Established Member
Why would you be expected to wear a face covering on a platform?

I have absolutely no idea as I believe the guidelines are for the wearing of face coverings on trains and not on platforms. However, the staff requested that I do so and therefore I complied with that request. I did note (on both of my visits) that a good number of regular pax were not wearing face coverings on the platforms - no idea if they put one on when entering a train or not - and also none of the 3 spotters I saw on the platforms earlier were wearing one.

Either way, it's not a major issue for me as I don't particularly find wearing the covering I have all that uncomfortable so will continue to take it with me and wear it if asked to by staff

The_Train

Established Member
Why do you think? Less likely to be a bored barely trained hi-viz thug mooching around.

That seems to have been an issue for some long before this virus arrived into the country. Personally, I have never had any issues with any security at stations - in fact the security blokes at Stafford (who weren't actually there when I went so guess they have been 'stood down' during the virus) are quite chatty with those enthusiasts who follow the guidelines and deal with those who don't in a professional way.

I don't see why anyone would be stopped from spotting on a station, particularly considering other activities that are now allowed!

greyman42

Established Member
As the poster pointed out, many other members of the public were not wearing face coverings and there is no law that says anybody should be wearing them on stations.

The_Train

Established Member
Because that is what the station staff requested. The alternative is likely to be declined entry to the station or ejection.
As the poster pointed out, many other members of the public were not wearing face coverings and there is no law that says anybody should be wearing them on stations.

Personally I just see it as doing the decent and reasonable thing as per the staff member's request, particularly in the current climate :)

greyman42

Established Member
Personally I just see it as doing the decent and reasonable thing as per the staff member's request, particularly in the current climate :)
Personally, I don't see what's indecent or unreasonable in not wearing a face covering on the station.

Established Member
Personally, I don't see what's indecent or unreasonable in not wearing a face covering on the station.
It is advised that you wear a face covering on the station in England. It is unreasonable to refuse to do as asked by the staff that don't have to allow you onto the platforms to spot.

Enthusiast

I wouldn't say spotting was a reasonable excuse, though.
Following the change in the legislation on 13th May the (non-exhaustive) list of reasonable excuses included "to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing". If you are a rail enthusiast I could think of nothing more likely to promote your "physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing" than a bit of spotting.

woodhouse122

Had my first trip on wednesday this week to Manchester since the covid outbreak and had an hour spotting before coming home and had no problems at all on piccadilly (i kept away from Platforms 13 and 14 though ;) ) i wore my mask just in case i had any problems with the staff but i wasnt even aproached

peterblue

Following the change in the legislation on 13th May the (non-exhaustive) list of reasonable excuses included "to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing". If you are a rail enthusiast I could think of nothing more likely to promote your "physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing" than a bit of spotting.

Would you class a busy station, particularly one largely indoors or underground, as a 'public open space'?

Journeyman

Established Member
Would you class a busy station, particularly one largely indoors or underground, as a 'public open space'?

Stations aren't "public open spaces" at all. They're private property to which the public are granted access under specific conditions. Therefore, access can be refused on any grounds. Obviously it can't be enforced out in the sticks, but claiming you're accessing it for exercise or whatever won't wash.

peterblue

Exactly my point.

I don't think there's any problem spotting if you stick to unstaffed/quiet stations.

scotrail158713

Established Member
That seems to have been an issue for some long before this virus arrived into the country.
I think they’re more likely to be the kind of people who will still believe you shouldn’t be here for non-essential purposes so are more likely to give you grief though

Status
Not open for further replies.