• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotting at main line stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enthusiast

Would you class a busy station, particularly one largely indoors or underground, as a 'public open space'?
No I wouldn't (for the reasons quoted above). I was more addressing the notion that there has been a recently lifted ban on non-essential travel (though looking quickly I cannot see the post where it was mentioned so it may have been edited). There has never been such a ban. Before May 13th the "reasonable excuses" which people needed to leave their homes would not include spotting. After 13th May the non-exhaustive list was widened and people have been allowed to travel near enough where they wish for reasons which would certainly include spotting. They were (and still are) asked to consider other means of transport before choosing public transport, but that's all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
That seems to have been an issue for some long before this virus arrived into the country. Personally, I have never had any issues with any security at stations - in fact the security blokes at Stafford (who weren't actually there when I went so guess they have been 'stood down' during the virus) are quite chatty with those enthusiasts who follow the guidelines and deal with those who don't in a professional way.

I don't see why anyone would be stopped from spotting on a station, particularly considering other activities that are now allowed!

Nor have i but there are a lot of new people about on stations now, Birmingham stations seem to have gained a new army of pink hi-viz, i'm not sure what they are actually for apart from wandering around platforms looking bored. To be honest i don't really want to have to explain for the umpteenth time what it is i am doing and why i am taking photos of trains.

No problem at Rugeley Trent Valley today anyway, was a few enthusiasts around.

james60059

I believe Doncaster and Stafford is a bit more relaxed now with enthusiasts (to be on the safe side, I'd wear a covering of some sort though just in case), but Peterborough is still a no go. No idea about Nuneaton however.

stevetay3

Hi I went through Reading and Didcot today a few spotters at each but everyone being left to get on with it,I spent about an hour at Reading with no problems. Nearly everyone in masks on the stations, all the food outlets and coffee shops were closed though, so you need a packed lunch. I then had very good two hours at Didcot Railway Centre which was very well organised. All three trains I traveled on were practically empty. I can’t see how much longer this can go on for but great for riding the trains.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Someone tweeted a video of the 57 + 43 + Mk 3 + 43 movement through Eastleigh ( possibly a Railcam video? ) earlier and there were at least half a dozen enthusiasts with cameras on the platform - all keeping their distance from each other. It didn't look like they were getting any hassle either.

james60059

To be fair, if you're masked up and socially distanced from other enthusiasts (if there are others) and stick to the rules as per the regulations by NR then it really shouldn't be a issue.

james60059

I believe Nuneaton is OK with spotters now, face coverings need to be worn, and social distancing needs to be adhered to. Also, could any enthusiasts also report to the office on Platform 1 just as a matter of courtesy to inform staff of your presence.

james60059

I saw quite a few spotters on Saturday, at Stafford, New St and (oddly) Aston. All seemed to be fine.

I think the Trent Valley was out so everything going via the West Mids. I follow a guy on YouTube called Antman, and he had a good morning with various freight around Stechford

james60059

Just to add, one of the reasons why the TV line was out was due to the footbridge at Nuneaton Station being overhauled too.

Last edited:

james60059

Care to share? You know like the forum rules ask you to...

Of course: https://twitter.com/NuneatonStation/status/1283393884610080771

Today we’ve had official confirmation from London Northwestern Railway that rail enthusiasts are welcome back at Nuneaton station . They will need to social distance from each other and wear face masks while in the station .

Also: https://twitter.com/NuneatonStation/status/1287385249215844352 for the photo's of the bridge being done up

Last edited by a moderator:

james60059

Just to verify the situation with Nuneaton, I went yesterday and seen for myself the situation. Spotting is indeed allowed again, However you are asked to obey some rules:

■ Notify staff of your presence (Office on Platform 1).
■ Wear a face covering, unless you're medically exempt.
ONLY the North end of Platforms 2/3 and 4/5 can be used for spotting purposes - this is to aid social distancing, also maybe because the South end is also full of building materials for the footbridge refurb.
■ Keep socially distanced from others, unless they're in your "bubble"

Cheers

James

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I went to Lockerbie, Carlisle and Penrith on Tuesday.

Lockerbie: No staff on the platforms (but there were in the ticket office), you could wander freely about the platforms and there were no staff or BTP enforcing masks.

Carlisle: Need to show ticket in order to gain access to the platforms, BTP having words with anyone without a mask. Can't really go in just to spot.

Penrith: Staff presence on platforms, but spotting seemed to be permitted, provided you wore a mask and stayed out of everyone's way.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Just to verify the situation with Nuneaton, I went yesterday and seen for myself the situation. Spotting is indeed allowed again, However you are asked to obey some rules:

■ Notify staff of your presence (Office on Platform 1).
■ Wear a face covering, unless you're medically exempt.
ONLY the North end of Platforms 2/3 and 4/5 can be used for spotting purposes - this is to aid social distancing, also maybe because the South end is also full of building materials for the footbridge refurb.
■ Keep socially distanced from others, unless they're in your "bubble"

Cheers

James

And obviously no consumption of food because you're in Nuneaton

I'll get my coat:D:D:D

BrettSy96

Just wondering if anyone knows what the situation is like at Peterborough in regards to spotters now?

Status
Not open for further replies.