• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotting banned at Manchester Piccadilly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
There were a group of unaccompanied children on Taunton station last week filming all the arrivals and departures. They were doing "that thing with the arm" (up and down movement) to try and get the drivers to sound the horn - with mixed results.

Not much else for the kids to do in Taunton though!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

With all this talk about a 'Jed' and reports of seeing spotters on platforms, does anyone else see the irony in trainspotter-spotting? :)

Harbornite

Established Member
Could someone enlighten me about just what there is to 'spot' on the modern network particularly by the little group who seem to live on Eastleigh?

Class 73s, 66s, 70s and 08s in the yards and on freights, and whatever is in the works.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I note the usual overreaction to groundless rumours that spotting will be banned.

If I'm honest, I don't think anyone has overreacted. It's not as if people were threatening to send abusive messages to NR.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
With all this talk about a 'Jed' and reports of seeing spotters on platforms, does anyone else see the irony in trainspotter-spotting? :)

I do. But I prefer to do it in a Top Trumps kind of way, ie points for the amount of camara equipment, age and colour of overcoat etc.

Elecman

Established Member
Class 73s, 66s, 70s and 08s in the yards and on freights, and whatever is in the works.

If I'm honest, I don't think anyone has overreacted. It's not as if people were threatening to send abusive messages to NR.

They've probably issued an FOI request for NRs Policy on the issue instead!!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Railway Enthusiasm. One the bitterest hobbies?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
True. But we're never short of things to complain about.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Dedicated interest in a subject seems to encourage cynicism towards that which is ubiquitous, widely popular or considered "mainstream" within that subject area, at least amongst a vocal minority, which isn't just limited to railway enthusiasm. Such an attitude strikes me as taking things too seriously and rather taking the fun out of a hobby or interest.

PR1Berske

Established Member
Dedicated interest in a subject seems to encourage cynicism towards that which is ubiquitous, widely popular or considered "mainstream" within that subject area, at least amongst a vocal minority, which isn't just limited to railway enthusiasm. Such an attitude strikes me as taking things too seriously and rather taking the fun out of a hobby or interest.

The Venn diagram for "railway enthusiasm" , "real ale drinkers" and "non league groundhoppers" is quite the doozy where they all converge.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Well put, I wouldn't normally make such a sweeping statement except that I had a few real ales in the pub last night. :)

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Venn diagram for "railway enthusiasm" , "real ale drinkers" and "non league groundhoppers" is quite the doozy where they all converge.
Yes, I had all three of those in mind when I made that post (though could also think of others). :lol: They seem to form a popular crossover of interests.

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Going back to the original subject I assume that any enthusiasts catching the train from Manchester Piccadilly will enter the train continually looking down at their feet just in case they see a train number by accident?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Well put, I wouldn't normally make such a sweeping statement except that I had a few real ales in the pub last night. :)
Well my personal approach to railway enthusiasm certainly involves the consumption of plenty of bitter! :)

krus_aragon

Established Member

Having seen this post, I could indulge in some Trainspotter-spotter-spotter-spotting, but that's a bit too meta even for my tastes!

Almost as bad as lemon and grapefruit enthusiasm. That is bitter.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member

Is there a Platform Five book with them all in, preferably with pictures. :D

What is the current 'in' fashion for flasks - dare I take my old 'tartan Thermos' as retro-chic?

Southern Dvr

Has that footbridge at Ardwick received any remedial works over the last two years?

Didn't appear to have had anything done to it when I visited a few weeks back.

More than likely a candidate for Polesworth/Norton Bridge semi closure due to footbridge concerns?

Status
Not open for further replies.