• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotting Flying Scotsman May 25th London Victoria - Surrey Hills Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaron81

Hi All

I really hope someone can help. I have a son who is obsessed with The Flying Scotsman and I know he would love to get a glimpse of it. I know that it is going from London Victoria to the surrey hills on the evening of the 25th May but I can't afford the couple of hundred quid it would cost for us to go on it.

Would anyone here know a good place that we could go to spot it on the way out of London? Or a www that I could go to to find out?

We live near Kew Bridge station but could get a train/drive a reasonable distance to see it.

THanks

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harbornite

Established Member
Hi All

I really hope someone can help. I have a son who is obsessed with The Flying Scotsman and I know he would love to get a glimpse of it. I know that it is going from London Victoria to the surrey hills on the evening of the 25th May but I can't afford the couple of hundred quid it would cost for us to go on it.

Would anyone here know a good place that we could go to spot it on the way out of London? Or a www that I could go to to find out?

We live near Kew Bridge station but could get a train/drive a reasonable distance to see it.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

Use this site to look for railtours with the Flying Scotsman (shown by its number, 60103)

http://railwayherald.com/railtours

Then you can use realtimetrains to get up to date, real time info for those railtours.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced

I have a son who is obsessed with The Flying Scotsman and I know he would love to get a glimpse of it. I know that it is going from London Victoria to the surrey hills on the evening of the 25th May but I can't afford the couple of hundred quid it would cost for us to go on it.

Would anyone here know a good place that we could go to spot it on the way out of London?

Assuming that it's going the usual London-Guildford-Redhill-London route, there are two places I'd recommend:
- the first is Shalford station, where the engines normally stop to take on water from a Fire Brigade bowser.
- the second is the viewpoint at the top of Box Hill (National Trust) near Dorking, where you can look down on the train in the valley below as it runs from Dorking Deepdene towards Betchworth. (Nearest station for walking is Box Hill & Westhumble, but going by car is easiest, as it avoids the steep climb up the hill. Use postcode KT20 7LB in sat-nav.)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
consider that Scotrail closed some stations to people without tickets ( Queensferry/Dalmeny i think) so check in advance.

Hope you find somewhere. FS is a stirring sight and if my niece and nephew are anything to go by kids love to see it

Spartacus

Established Member
The times in realtimetrains are only likely to appear at most 48hrs in advance of it running, possibly less than 24hrs, only being published the morning of the run.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
This one's been visible for a week or more, though, unless it's been subsequently hidden? I haven't looked again yet.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I did catch up with the airborne kilted bloke today; first at Kensington Olympia at 11.45 on schedule, second at East Croydon ( using the car park bridge rather than the station ) at just before 15.00 – about 15 late.

I then tried to be clever and realised I could combine getting my first three 387/2 haulages in by doing a GATX return; 17.30 off Victoria and then returning on the 18.36 ( a 442 ) from Gatwick which would cross over near Latchmere Junction as Scotsman was passing under…… and it very, very, nearly worked – the 18.36 was on time, but Scotsman was held at Latchmere for a 378 to go in front; I actually saw it there but trees and buildings prevented me from getting the unique photo angle – the 378 having blocked the front view!!! Had the 18.36 been about 45 seconds later it would have worked perfectly.

Ah well….

Status
Not open for further replies.