• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Spotting Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi guys. I'm Dan and iv recently decided to take up spotting. I have been looking around for best places to watch freight. I live in Wolverhampton.

Iv heard Stafford is good but not sure really what time to get there as I said I'm new lol.

Also Water Orton?

Your input will be appriciated.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freightmaster

Established Member
...I have been looking around for best places to watch freight. I live in Wolverhampton.
You are very fortunate - the West Midlands is one of the best/busiest
areas to view freight in the whole country! :)

As well as Water Orton and Stafford, which are both excellent choices,
Tamworth, Nuneaton and Rugby are all within easy reach, and each
offers a slightly different selection of trains. Closer to home, Walsall
sees a fair amount of freight traffic (bit not as much as the others)

I have heard Stafford is good but not sure really what time to get there as I said I'm new lol.
To save a lot of frustration/wasted journeys, you might want to
consider subscribing to Freightmaster Online, which features up
to date timetables for all the freight 'hotspots' in the Midlands
(and everywhere else, for that matter!).

But to start you off, Stafford (and Nuneaton/Tamworth)
are busiest between 3pm and 6pm.

MARK

The Snap

Established Member
If you fancy a trip further afield (although not that far), Doncaster will keep you busy all day long!

sburnley

I'll echo the comments about the West Midlands being a great area for freight. Stafford is excellent and has the advantage that the waiting rooms have glass panels at their ends so you can see trains coming from a distance in relative warmth and calmness - especially in winter.

Northampton is quite good too - there is a mixture of loco types including 86 6xx, 92 xxx and freightliner and EWS 66s.

It is also worth considering using a West Midlands Day Ranger ticket. You can travel from Crewe in the North as far South as Northampton on any train after 9 am so you can plan to pass Basford Hall and Daventry International Rail Freight Terminal.

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
Yep anywhere on the part of the WCML thats in the West midlands is good for freight. For times, late aftrenoon is the best times

Status
Not open for further replies.