• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Springs Branch stabling sidings project

Status
Not open for further replies.

montyburns56

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bovverboy

Established Member

Bovverboy

Established Member
I see that today, 1/3/20, two sets (one EMU, one DMU), are scheduled to be provided for service, the first time that the current stabling point has done this on a Sunday, I believe.
The diagrams begin:
1) 5F04 0817 Springs Branch - Wigan NW (ECS), followed by 1F04 0841 Wigan NW - Liverpool Lime Street;
2) 5N93 0839 Springs Branch - Southport (ECS), followed by 2N93 0938 Southport - Manchester Victoria.
In respect of the second of those diagrams, RTT says 5N93 divides at Southport, but following the diagram on suggests that it doesn't, unless it drops a unit which is picked up by the following service.

Bovverboy

Established Member
We passed the area last week en route from Heald Green to Wigan North Western and a unit was actually parked on the "unit washing" section there.

What day of the week was that, and what class of unit?

Just to add to what I said in the previous post, 1N04 is usually a through service from Blackpool North (with the unit being supplied from Blackpool North CMD) but there was coach substitution between Preston and Wigan NW earlier this morning.
5N93 usually starts at Wigan Wallgate Up Carriage Sidings, today's routine was, according to RTT, just for today.

Bovverboy

Established Member
I see that today, 1/3/20, two sets (one EMU, one DMU), are scheduled to be provided for service, the first time that the current stabling point has done this on a Sunday, I believe.
The diagrams begin:
1) 5F04 0817 Springs Branch - Wigan NW (ECS), followed by 1F04 0841 Wigan NW - Liverpool Lime Street;
2) 5N93 0839 Springs Branch - Southport (ECS), followed by 2N93 0938 Southport - Manchester Victoria.
In respect of the second of those diagrams, RTT says 5N93 divides at Southport, but following the diagram on suggests that it doesn't, unless it drops a unit which is picked up by the following service.

Just to add to what I said in the previous post, 1N04 is usually a through service from Blackpool North (with the unit being supplied from Blackpool North CMD) but there was coach substitution between Preston and Wigan NW earlier this morning.
5N93 usually starts at Wigan Wallgate Up Carriage Sidings, today's routine was, according to RTT, just for today.

On the following Sunday, 8/3/20, 5F04 & 1F04 were scheduled to operate from Springs Branch, but, in the event, both workings were cancelled for 'an unknown reason'. 5N93/2N93 operated from Wigan Wallgate Up Carriage Sidings.
For the period 2/3/20 to 6/3/20 (I think) Springs Branch provided the stock for the 0550 Wigan North Western - Alderley Edge, but the routine hasn't been continued.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The £4m extension of a Wigan North Western bay platform to provide a turnback for the depot has now been programmed with work starting 12th September and completing in December.

Wigan platform extension to bring better rail journeys for passengers
Region & Route: North West & Central | North West & Central: North West
A multi-million-pound platform extension at Wigan North Western station will soon provide passengers travelling to Manchester and Leeds with longer and more reliable trains.

The work, as part of the Great North Rail Project, will see platform 3 made longer so it can take four-carriage trains.

This will mean train operator Northern can provide extra capacity for passengers and move more trains in and out of its newly built £46m train depot at Ince-in-Makerfield.

Network Rail is delivering the £4m platform extension scheme. The investment has come from the Department for Transport to improve the reliability and performance of train services for passengers across the North West.

Jonathan Hepton, sponsor at Network Rail, said: “This platform extension is designed to put passengers first, helping to improve capacity on trains from Wigan into Manchester and across the Calder Valley into Leeds.

“It’s another example of the Great North Rail Project in action and will provide longer trains which means more seats for passengers.”

The work will start on 12 September and will be complete in December. Train services will not be affected by the work at the station, which is managed by Avanti West Coast. Passengers are being advised to double check which platform their train is leaving from.

Chris Jackson, regional director at Northern, said: “This vital upgrade work, delivered as part of the Great North Rail Project, will allow us to fully realise the potential of our new Springs Branch depot at Ince. This will, in turn, enable us to provide additional capacity for customers and deliver the quality of rail service they expect and deserve.”

Zina Nomicas, general manager at Avanti West Coast, said: “We’re working with Network Rail and Northern to minimise the impact of the platform extension work.

“As always, our station team will be on hand to help, and we advise customers travelling to and from Wigan North Western during this time to double-check which platform their train is departing from. We would like to thank customers for their patience while the works take place.”

Mathew S

Established Member
How are they extending platform 3 - by closing 2?
The rumour was by extending it past the current buffer stops, into the area currently occupied by the waiting room (now that a new waiting room has been created on platforms 5/6).
I use the station multiple times a week, so I'll keep my eyes open and see if I can snap some explanatory photos.

WatcherZero

Established Member
I wonder if they will try and move the Leeds services back to North Western again after its done.

M60lad

Will a new waiting room be provided as part of the plans considering passengers will be losing the one between Platforms 1-3? I know a new waiting room has been opened on Platforms 5/6 but what use is this to people waiting for Southbound trains?

AMD

I wonder if they will try and move the Leeds services back to North Western again after its done.
No plans to - Avanti charge Northern for every a train that needs dispatched, so as long as there is capacity through Wallgate the Leeds services go there (along with the Blackburn services when they return. One or two will continue to go to North Western either because they are coming or going to Springs Branch, or it's a diagram which could have a 153 - which are officially not cleared into Wallgate.

Status
Not open for further replies.