• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sprinter on Man - Cdf sunday services

Status
Not open for further replies.
On sundays ATW seem to use sprinters on their Man - Cardiff services, do anyone actually know which services they are booked on and what the traction is, someone told me a couple of weeks ago is was 153 + 153 + 150 but think that was on the 1530 departure.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I have no idea about what is booked for various trains, but I can say that base don what I have seen and travelled on at Llanelli, the Manchester trains can be formed of just about anything. It's more often than not a 175 though, even on Sundays.

ATW do seem to use Sunday and early morning Monday trains to attach units as ECS. One Monday there was a 150+153+153 combination on the 0808 to Carmarthen. The 153's were locked out of use, which wa shardly surprising as loadings on that train don't require four cars!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
10 40 Cardiff to Manchester and 14 30 Manchester return to Milford Haven booked 158 and required to attach another 158 at Picc off last Chester Satruday night and which is stranded there due line closures. 12 05 Cardiff to Milford Haven and 15 30 to Manchester booked 158 for diagram balancing purposes . Also a couple of Holyheads are 158s.
All 175s are fully diagrammed to be occupied on Marches route on Sundays but there is one down at the moment (Llanboidy Crossing damage) so that has to be substituted but, of course, and odd problems can result in out of diafram working. As the Marches route is predominantly 175 worked, advantage has to be taken of non 175 trains to move Units around for reasons whatever to and from Canton thus he various combinations spotted.

12CSVT

Established Member
Class 150s have appeared on Holyhead - Cardiff services in the past week.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Before easter, I remember seeing 150+153 on a CDF-MAN at shrewsbury, and thought it must be quite rare, but apparently it isn't. It's a shame ATW don't have more 153s, as I find a pair of ATW 153s to be not that much different in comfort terms to an unrefurbished ATW 158, with 150s being quite alot worse (I have done the entire HoW line on one of the bloody things ;)).

Adam :D

Penmorfa

Sprinters are used daily on the Holyhead to Cardiff run, due to shortage of 175s.

No they are'nt
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Alas a daily occurance through Wrexham on that route, as ATW are at least two 175 franchise trains down,

Bob

It may be a daily occurrence through Wrexham - it certainly is'nt on the coast. I'm beginning to think there is a fairy godmother in Chester that is turning 150's into shiny refurbished 158's because that's what I see most of the time.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
Before easter, I remember seeing 150+153 on a CDF-MAN at shrewsbury, and thought it must be quite rare, but apparently it isn't. It's a shame ATW don't have more 153s, as I find a pair of ATW 153s to be not that much different in comfort terms to an unrefurbished ATW 158, with 150s being quite alot worse (I have done the entire HoW line on one of the bloody things ;)).

Adam :D
If the 150+153 combo was vice a 3 Coach 175, I say well done for at least providing 3 coaches.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I Know very little about this sort of thing but isn't it taking a long time to repair the damaged 175?

SprinterMan

Established Member
If the 150+153 combo was vice a 3 Coach 175, I say well done for at least providing 3 coaches.

Yeah, it was decent to provide at least 3 cars and not just a 150, at least the passengers in the 153 would have had a comfortable trip ;)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
'm beginning to think there is a fairy godmother in Chester that is turning 150's into shiny refurbished 158's because that's what I see most of the time.
Shame there isn't such a fairy in south Wales, there are barely any 158s west of Swansea. I'd settle for non-refurb blue&sliver examples, they still beat 150s and 153s.

It's a shame ATW don't have more 153s, as I find a pair of ATW 153s to be not that much different in comfort terms to an unrefurbished ATW 158, with 150s being quite alot worse
An unrefurbished 158 is still better than a 153, but I agree that pair of 153s would be a better cover for a missing 158 or 175 than a 150 if sufficent 153s were available.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
No they are'nt
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It may be a daily occurrence through Wrexham - it certainly is'nt on the coast. I'm beginning to think there is a fairy godmother in Chester that is turning 150's into shiny refurbished 158's because that's what I see most of the time.

I am not the only one to see them,see 12csvt, whom I answered,thread six
the 175 stock in Cardiff Canton between noon & 6.00P.M. has to be replaced, as ATW have no spares, Gareth Marston gave a comment on swops at Chester.

Status
Not open for further replies.