• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Sprinters Seen At St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Hello everyone,

On the evening of the 5th October 1985 I saw 150001 and 151001 at St Pancras station. Can anyone explain what they were doing there? Were they deputising for a HST or maybe a class 45 on a relief working?

Kind regards,

Essex Ram

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter.

This is strange. You have signed your other threads with the username of Essex Ram, yet this one is signed as a recently deceased and very well respected member of this forum?

Given he used to sign off many of his posts exactly as above, seeing it has made me feel slightly uneasy and I had to say something. I do miss his input here.

Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
I'm very sorry for the confusion. I'm visiting RichmondCommu's (Andrew) wife Manjit and their youngest daughter to go through Andrew's extensive collection of photographs. Manjit occasionally logs on in her husbands user name and there are currently two lap tops on the kitchen table. Manjit wanted to post a thread and got mixed up between the lap tops. Essex Ram

Darandio

Established Member
I'm very sorry for the confusion. I'm visiting RichmondCommu's (Andrew) wife Manjit and their youngest daughter to go through Andrew's extensive collection of photographs. Manjit occasionally logs on in her husbands user name and there are currently two lap tops on the kitchen table. Manjit wanted to post a thread and got mixed up between the lap tops. Essex Ram

Thanks for the explanation, I simply got spooked. Hope all of his family and friends are okay.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
This is strange. You have signed your other threads with the username of Essex Ram, yet this one is signed as a recently deceased and very well respected member of this forum?

Given he used to sign off many of his posts exactly as above, seeing it has made me feel slightly uneasy and I had to say something. I do miss his input here.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I seem to recall one of the 150s was a last minute substitute for a failed HST on one occasion. Kept remarkably close to time too...

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I think that was a very early morning sprinter service from Derby to Bedford in the late 80s which connected with a Thameslink service at about 3:30am

ag51ruk

There was a launch event for the Sprinters at St Pancras, which I think featured a "race" against an actual sprinter (athlete) along the platform. I guess they made it down there for other demo runs as well.

The_Engineer

At that date (late 1985) there were regular overnight diagrams for the new Sprinter prototypes between Derby and St Pancras. They were essential for shakedown/mileage accumulation/reliability proving, in addition to service running Derby to Matlock in the daytime.

The aim of the overnight runs was to hammer them hard on long fast runs in addition to the local stop-starts in the day, and reveal any glitches before the follow-on orders were placed. In the end I think the 50 Class 150/1s were ordered before the "proving programme" was finished.

I lived next to the MML at Sileby at this time (1984-87) and used to hear Sprinters heading south about 22:30 most every night!!

Yes, there were also some daytime press launches, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.