• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

PaulMc7

Established Member
*Mod note* Posts 1-34 were originally in this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/first-greater-glasgow.164437/

SPT changes announced too now. 31 absolutely butchered but understandable after what I posted earlier about SPTs issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

overthewater

Established Member
Some of the SPT routes have been highly questionable for years. I dare many others would agree a better network could be operated with less money.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Some of the SPT routes have been highly questionable for years. I dare many others would agree a better network could be operated with less money.

Most of the SPT routes I've seen have been mostly running dead or close to it. I'd imagine a bit of discussion with the public would be a start in finding out what people actually want

lastbus

These routes will no longer be operated by First. New operators will take over.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Must be a bit of a pain for people who rely on services in an area where the commercial service is operated by a different company to the SPT contracted journeys. Could also be part of the reason those services aren't well used to be honest

route101

Established Member
Must be a bit of a pain for people who rely on services in an area where the commercial service is operated by a different company to the SPT contracted journeys. Could also be part of the reason those services aren't well used to be honest

Deary me. I use to go to work on a first bus and come back on a stagecoach, they never accepted each others tickets.

The stagey 31 used drivers from x19 and was late a few times because of that.

route101

Established Member
Most of the SPT routes I've seen have been mostly running dead or close to it. I'd imagine a bit of discussion with the public would be a start in finding out what people actually want

I wonder if its because people have first passes and wont use other operators SPT services , then nly concession holders.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Deary me. I use to go to work on a first bus and come back on a stagecoach, they never accepted each others tickets.

The stagey 31 used drivers from x19 and was late a few times because of that.

Yeah it's pretty expensive to use SPT tendered services

route101

Established Member
These routes will no longer be operated by First. New operators will take over.

First still on the non SPT journeys ?

No service to EK at MO , so will that start on the 12th of July 2020?

NorthClyde320

I've experienced this exact scenario over the years, it's a pain and one of the many reasons people avoid/move away from using buses.

I also know of someone who could use their monthly First pass on the daytime service but not on the supported evening service even though it to was operated by First, but if they had a day ticket they could use it on both services, strange indeed.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yeah there needs to be a better way of operating SPT services so that people are more attracted to using them and can use their tickets on them and the other services in their area

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The whole reason those SPT services exist is because they're low used links that are vital to the community. Supported services are not designed to run full or make loads of money, they're designed to maintain lifeline links where it wouldn't be commercially viable.

PaulMc7

Established Member
The problem with that is that they don't even provide links if people would use them can't because of it costing more money etc. As I've said most I've seen run completely empty so there needs to be a proactive change and a bit of communication with the public or it's just throwing away money

Given the financial hole SPT could be in, then all those empty subsidised buses might be axed altogether, although having said that, the ones that run near me do have a fair few passengers on them...

PaulMc7

Established Member
I definitely think there needs to be a few changes to make things better for bus companies and SPT tbh.

More communication between companies and the public

Better funding from the government to avoid service cuts and allow companies to try more new things with routes

Better ticket setups for SPT tenders to allow people to use their ticket on them if they use the commercial service too.

Pollokshields is an area currently where things really aren't ideal for example.

59 normally First but not currently and was Mcgills for quite a while, 121 is by mcgills and now the 90 is all First despite the tenders being with Mcgills for a good while

I suppose that the Glasgowtripper card allows people to use multiple bus operators, and i would assume it would be valid on SPT tenders.
Then we can't forget Zonecard; whatever its faults, it is valid on pretty much all the buses, and in the case of Pollokshields, also on the train and subway at Shields Road.

route101

Established Member
Zonecard is quite a bit dearer than bus only monthlys is it not? If two operators are on the route say the 31 , should be ticket acceptance , all this talk of getting more people to use bus and that eh.

SPT are weak , should be stronger and regulate min service for areas .

route101

Established Member
I definitely think there needs to be a few changes to make things better for bus companies and SPT tbh.

More communication between companies and the public

Better funding from the government to avoid service cuts and allow companies to try more new things with routes

Better ticket setups for SPT tenders to allow people to use their ticket on them if they use the commercial service too.

Pollokshields is an area currently where things really aren't ideal for example.

59 normally First but not currently and was Mcgills for quite a while, 121 is by mcgills and now the 90 is all First despite the tenders being with Mcgills for a good while

Hard to keep track with these routes McGill or First , the 89 or 90 SPT evening service even goes old route at Mt Florida to confuse matters.

route101

Established Member
I suppose that the Glasgowtripper card allows people to use multiple bus operators, and i would assume it would be valid on SPT tenders.
Then we can't forget Zonecard; whatever its faults, it is valid on pretty much all the buses, and in the case of Pollokshields, also on the train and subway at Shields Road.

Uptake of the Glasgow Tripper cant be high.

Daytripper covers but not McGills for some strange reason

route101

Established Member
I've experienced this exact scenario over the years, it's a pain and one of the many reasons people avoid/move away from using buses.

I also know of someone who could use their monthly First pass on the daytime service but not on the supported evening service even though it to was operated by First, but if they had a day ticket they could use it on both services, strange indeed.

I used the monthly first pass on first Sunday 31 service no problem. I think single fares differed , as somene complanied to driver.

Busman84

Im sure i paid £3.15 single on sunday 31 once compared to £2.60 normal fare. Not mentioned anywhere.

I’m going back couple of years now but I’ve done a number of services that SPT subsided the journeys. The fare were normal First Glasgow prices and this also on the running boards so can’t see how it’s more as the 31 sees same bus on it all day so that running board has the 1 fare sheet on it. Different story if another operator does the subsidised journeys then fare would be different either set by SPT or the company doing it.

route101

Established Member
I’m going back couple of years now but I’ve done a number of services that SPT subsided the journeys. The fare were normal First Glasgow prices and this also on the running boards so can’t see how it’s more as the 31 sees same bus on it all day so that running board has the 1 fare sheet on it. Different story if another operator does the subsidised journeys then fare would be different either set by SPT or the company doing it.

This was a first sunday service SPT supported, was last year or 2018. Usually i have monthly or day ticket. Did have a driver that had a fare chart out when i passenger asked for fare on one service as he said fares are different on SPT services!

Busman84

Well I’ve done various routes over the years SPT runs and it was normal fare and there was nothing different on the ticket machine or fare sheet. Single fares, all day tickets and FirstWeek remained normal.