• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Tendered Routes

experts

First still on the non SPT journeys ?

No service to EK at MO , so will that start on the 12th of July 2020?

I wouldn’t be shocked if SPT don’t replace it, I believe they have canned other routes With no replacement as of July. 68 being one.

hints on other pages that the SPT elements of the 31,M3,209,226,227,228 Are being done away with

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Well I’ve done various routes over the years SPT runs and it was normal fare and there was nothing different on the ticket machine or fare sheet. Single fares, all day tickets and FirstWeek remained normal.

Interesting , wonder why the SPT 31 had higher fares.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Interesting , wonder why the SPT 31 had higher fares.

I'm pretty sure the 46 was different compared to normal fares too. Not sure about now though as that was a few years back my friend used it and mentioned a difference. Just another way to put people off public transport I guess

route101

Established Member
I wouldn’t be shocked if SPT don’t replace it, I believe they have canned other routes With no replacement as of July. 68 being one.

hints on other pages that the SPT elements of the 31,M3,209,226,227,228 Are being done away with

Hopefully not , will see who runs the SPT 31 from 12th of July , McGills or WCM i reckon,

awsnews

Hopefully not , will see who runs the SPT 31 from 12th of July , McGills or WCM i reckon,
I don't think anyone has registered a replacement yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it was added onto one of the MyBus contracts in the area.

route101

Established Member
I don't think anyone has registered a replacement yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it was added onto one of the MyBus contracts in the area.

Worrying, im seroiusly thinking of moving into Glasgow or getting a car.

PaulMc7

Established Member
If the SPT cuts have to be as bad as they're warning then it'll be interesting to see what's actually left for them. Could see a lot of areas losing most if not all of their bus services

smtglasgow

The SPT shortfall is coming at the worst possible time. Can see various operators (big and small) trimming their weaker routes over the next 6 months or so with evening and Sunday services probably most at risk of disappearing. Just when we need SPT to step in, it looks like their sporran is going to be empty.

PaulMc7

Established Member
I wasn't thinking companies would cut too much at first but now I can imagine that any route that wasn't doing great before the pandemic could be extremely under threat. Unless the government step in then it's pretty certain that it'll result in more car use

Jmb are taking over the 226/227/228 services in Hamilton

Edit search

PM1087164/29
New
J M B TRAVEL LTD226Little Earnock, Sherry DriveHillhouse, Clarkwell Road
PM1087164/31
New
J M B TRAVEL LTD228Hamilton Bus StationHigh Earnock, Davington Drive
PM1087164/30
New
J M B TRAVEL LTD227Hamilton Bus StationWhitehill, Whistleberry Drive

PaulMc7

Established Member
Jmb are taking over the 226/227/228 services in Hamilton

Edit search

PM1087164/29
New
J M B TRAVEL LTD226Little Earnock, Sherry DriveHillhouse, Clarkwell Road
PM1087164/31
New
J M B TRAVEL LTD228Hamilton Bus StationHigh Earnock, Davington Drive
PM1087164/30
New
J M B TRAVEL LTD227Hamilton Bus StationWhitehill, Whistleberry Drive

Did think they'd be the ones to take them tbh. Was always the most likely possibility

Not sure if these are temporary services due the current situation but shuttle buses are taking over the 94 and 124 services in Glasgow

Edit search
PM0001560/68
New
SHUTTLE BUSES LTD124Cardonald, Harlaw CrescentGovan Asda
PM0001560/67
New
SHUTTLE BUSES LTD94Knightswood, Cloberhill RoadMaryhill, Garrioch Road

ClydeCoaster

There were a couple of Shuttle Buses Solos on the M2 the other day. May be reported elsewhere and i‘be missed it but wasn’t aware they had any Glasgow services.

Observer

There were a couple of Shuttle Buses Solos on the M2 the other day. May be reported elsewhere and i‘be missed it but wasn’t aware they had any Glasgow services.
They have taken the bulk of the work temporarily dropped by First Glasgow.

Craig’s of Cumbernauld taking over the 209

Bus registration details
  • Registration numberPM2024756/9
  • Licence NumberPM2024756
  • Variation number0
  • StatusNew
  • Service number.209
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointWatling Street Motherwell
  • Finish pointWatling Street Motherwell
  • ViaHamilton Road, Bellshill
  • Date received29 Jun 2020
  • Effective date12 Jul 2020
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?Yes
  • Local authorities covered by routeStrathclyde Partnership for Transport
  • TAOs covered by routeScotland
Registration history
PM2024756/90NewManual29 Jun 202012 Jul 2020
Back to topBack to search results

lastbus

Craig’s of Cumbernauld taking over the 209

Bus registration details
  • Registration numberPM2024756/9
  • Licence NumberPM2024756
  • Variation number0
  • StatusNew
  • Service number.209
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointWatling Street Motherwell
  • Finish pointWatling Street Motherwell
  • ViaHamilton Road, Bellshill
  • Date received29 Jun 2020
  • Effective date12 Jul 2020
  • End date
  • Supported by subsidies?Yes
  • Local authorities covered by routeStrathclyde Partnership for Transport
  • TAOs covered by routeScotland
Registration history
PM2024756/90NewManual29 Jun 202012 Jul 2020
Back to topBack to search results
That’s a strange one never heard of them.

PaulMc7

Established Member
As far as Craig's of Cumbernauld go I could only find that they run 5 services in total and all are SPT tenders

335-Cumbernauld Town Centre then Seafar, Carrickstone, Craigmarloch, Balloch, Craiglinn interchange, Seafar then Town Centre again
343-North Carbrain circle to Cumbernauld
343A- Seafar Circle to Cumbernauld
346- Cumbernauld Station to Wardpark
381- Kilsyth to Twechar

Not even a website for them or anything

AlexanderPS

Not sure if these are temporary services due the current situation but shuttle buses are taking over the 94 and 124 services in Glasgow

Edit search
PM0001560/68
New
SHUTTLE BUSES LTD124Cardonald, Harlaw CrescentGovan Asda
PM0001560/67
New
SHUTTLE BUSES LTD94Knightswood, Cloberhill RoadMaryhill, Garrioch Road

According to the SPT timetable section these are currently operated by WCM on a COVID-19 timetable.

route101

Established Member
I've seen Shuttle Bus on M2 service i think , bit far from their depot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Observer

As far as Craig's of Cumbernauld go I could only find that they run 5 services in total and all are SPT tenders

335-Cumbernauld Town Centre then Seafar, Carrickstone, Craigmarloch, Balloch, Craiglinn interchange, Seafar then Town Centre again
343-North Carbrain circle to Cumbernauld
343A- Seafar Circle to Cumbernauld
346- Cumbernauld Station to Wardpark
381- Kilsyth to Twechar

Not even a website for them or anything
Also M4 Anniesland – Partick Bus Station whilst First Glasgow isn't running it along with the M93 MyBus which is currently suspended. They keep themselves busy, that's for sure.

Seen Shuttle Bus on M2 service i think , bit far from their depot.
They took on the majority of the contracts temporarily given up by First Glasgow as they have buses lying around doing nothing for the time being, they took on more MyBus work last year and again, that is currently suspended.

Whatever they get paid for it will cover the costs otherwise they wouldn't have gone for them.

smtglasgow

Will First be taking up their contracts again? They’ve always blown hot and cold about tenders. Going back to the early 2000s they hardly had any – either not interested or bidding too high.

If SPT really are in deep trouble money-wise, I hope they have a good look at what they are currently supporting. Always get the feeling that a lot of routes don’t change because of pressure from councillors.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Can see a lot of areas being cut off quite a bit in terms of bus options if SPT start cutting services out.

As for First I think the 11 is a good one to take as it fits in with the M11 anyway for most of the route and the 71A partly fits in with the 89A for part of the route. Don't expect them to take anything else new on though

mccolls are taking over the m3 spt journeys

start point or finish point
Licence traffic areaAll Scotland
StatusAll New
Update results
Registration numberOperator nameService numberStart pointFinish point
PM0002409/34
New
MCCOLL'S TRAVEL LIMITEDM3Hope Street, GlasgowStobhill Hospital

PaulMc7

Established Member
mccolls are taking over the m3 spt journeys

start point or finish point
Licence traffic areaAll Scotland
StatusAll New
Update results
Registration numberOperator nameService numberStart pointFinish point
PM0002409/34
New
MCCOLL'S TRAVEL LIMITEDM3Hope Street, GlasgowStobhill Hospital

Interesting one but I did think we would see some unexpected moves given the need to get some money in for everyone

Stuart’s are taking over the evening and Sunday journeys on the 31 between city centre and Carmunnock

Attachments

• FDB52F72-04B2-468C-8104-AB29A78EDA86.png
    FDB52F72-04B2-468C-8104-AB29A78EDA86.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 44

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
In the northern part of Cumbernauld where I now reside, I have various SPT tendered services with various route numbers (presently operated by Stuarts of Carluke - miles away from their home), plus two circular routes the 34 and 35 that are operated by Dunns Coaches (based in Airdrie) on a commercial basis.

Pre- lockdown, the 34 and 35 used to run every 30 minutes between 07:00/08:00 and 18:00 Monday to Saturday. In the second half of April, the 34 was withdrawn, with the 35 running until 16:00. In the second half of May, the 35 was revised to run every 60 minutes between 08:00 and 14:00, with the Saturday service being withdrawn. The situation still remains the same today, despite lockdown restrictions having been eased in recent weeks.

The SPT subsidised routes operated by Stuarts are the 348 (Croy Station - Carrickstone), 403 (Croy Station - Cumbernauld Town Centre omitting Seafar Road), and the 403A (Croy Station - Cumbernauld TC via Seafar Road). There is the 335 Saturdays Only circular service via Seafar Road operated by Craigs of Cumbernauld that runs from 09:00 - 17:00 that is funded by SPT after Dunns withdrew the Saturday service on the 35. Depending upon the time of day and the day of the week, this determines which side of the road you would need to be on for a bus to or from the town centre.

The 348 is the weirdest out of the lot, as it is not a clockface timetable on Mondays to Saturdays daytimes, and there is a large 3 hour gap between 11:30 and 14:30 or thereabouts. Also, when the frequency is increased to two trips within a particular hour at the beginning of the morning and the end of the afternoon, this service runs direct along Eastfield Road to and from Carrickstone, omitting Balloch Loop Road and Glen Fyne Road.

The 403 runs five Mon - Sat evening journeys from Croy Station, with two back from Cumbernauld, and the final two journeys running as the 403A. Sunday daytime it is the 403A in both directions, with the last three journeys in both directions becoming the 403.

In other words, it is a mess which can be seen from the file I have attached below. A thought that came into my mind is that i feel that these routes could be simplified to run Croy Station - Cumbernauld TC via Balloch Loop Road, Glen Fyne Road, Carrickstone Road, and Village every 60 minutes daily, and the 34/35 circular services to run every 60 minutes in each direction during the daytime. These would interwork which would provide a combined frequency of every 30 minutes between Balloch Loop Road and the town centre via Glen Fyne Road, Carrickstone Road, and Village, and would work with 2 buses instead of three (one for each route). There are already other bus services that cover the town centre - Craiglinn Roundabout and Craiglinn Roundabout - Croy Station.

Attachments

• service348-403-240120.pdf
    788.9 KB · Views: 26