• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

SPT Zonecard Zones Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I'll be starting a new job on the 18th of July in Cumbernauld and I'll be getting the train from Glasgow Queen Street to Croy then the local bus services out to Hunt Hill where my new employer is based.

I've had a look at the Zonecard Map and it shows that I'll need Zones G1-G1, G7, S2 and S6 which is a total of 5 Zones as that's the way the train and local bus services go.

Zonecards slightly confuse me so any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
I make it 4 Zones, but I'm not 100% G1, G7, S2, S6

Are you going to be working for SSE? (Scottish & Southern)

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Zonecard zones seem to confuse quite a lot of people, including station and on-train staff! You are not alone - it is a very complex system.

Croy seems to be particularly difficult to assess, because it appears to be on the boundary between S6 and S7 - the only way I've been able to confirm that this is the case is by looking at a Google Streetview image of the station's bus stop. I think it would therefore be reasonable to say that you will only need zone S6 for this journey. I doubt anyone will insist on you getting S7 - even though the line does very briefly cross into that territory, there are no stations there. I previously queried this with the Whifflet line (which briefly enters zone H1, although there's no stations there) and was told that H1 is not required for travel on that line, so I expect that the same situation will be true for Croy.

So, I reckon zones G1, G7, S2, S6 - Four zones.

You will need Zone G1, and that lets you travel in the Central Glasgow area too, as well as on the entire Subway network. It is worth remembering that if you have three "G" zones, you can travel in all of them. So, if you are going to travel around Central Glasgow quite a bit as well, it'll only cost you £3.90 extra per week for unlimited travel in the city. If you think you would use that, it may be worth getting that extra zone. It gives you lots of added value, although obviously that's only true if you're going to use it!

sonic2009

Established Member
I don't know whether SSE offer a shuttle bus or something from the site? Worth looking into?

me123

Established Member
Yeah that's my new employer. I got 5 Zones as G1 and G2 are two zones, G3-G8 which includes G7 is another zone and then S2 and S7...

Sounds good. You don't strictly need G2 for the journey you're going to make, but as I've said you may benefit from having all Glasgow zones.

I think SSE is in zone S6 as is Croy station (see above) - double check that perhaps (the bus stop hasn't been built in Streetview yet!). But I think you'll only need one of S6 or S7, depending on which zone the bus stop is in.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
I always though that G1 and G2 were two zones as you have to buy a minimum of 2 zones. The third G zone is obviously G3-G8 which allows me to travel through Bishopbriggs and then S2 and S6 for going through Lenzie and ending up at Croy which like you can is on the S6/S7 Boundary.

I've cropped the map just for you to see where I'm coming from...

Plus I stay in Bridgeton which is in G2 so its looking likely that I might need the 5 zones...

2yoby34.jpg

Last edited:

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
There are bus services that serve Hunt Hill but I believe it's Canavan Travel that operate to there from Cumbernauld Town Centre.

The X25 goes direct to Cumbernauld via Abronhill and the M80...

me123

Established Member
Yeah, you'll need G2 if you're starting in Bridgeton. So five zones will be right. As I've said before, I've found having the whole "G" area to be exceptionally useful!

In general terms, there has to be a minimum of two zones on the card, but you can purchase G1 without G2 and vice versa. That said, since 3xG zones gets you the whole G area, it's usually worthwhile to go for that if that would be of use. Sadly, the three zones rule does not apply in the peripheral zones - as such, for traveling to Cumbernauld you have to choose between going to Croy or Cumbernauld itself, or purchase an additional two zones to give you flexibility.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Cheers, everyone. Getting my Zonecard tomorrow as I'll be starting sooner than I thought. In relation to potentially using the bus from Glasgow Buchanan to Cumbernauld, Stagecoach Glasgow's X25 at times doesn't get me in for the times I need.

However Stagecoach Fife's X24 is perfect timing wise. Am I able to use my Zonecard on a Non SPT Bus Operator?

me123

Established Member
I have had issues with smaller local companies listed (no longer trading FWIW) not accepting the zone card in the past. I'd hope that a company like Stagecoach would accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.