• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Squeaking 47?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

47851 has failed at wigan on the ECS from this tour, don't know what the squeaking was but there must be some sort of link which has resulted in the failure.
She's pouring out smoke apparently!

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Isn't it just a bird chirping in the background? I couldn't make out any doppler effect, it just started and stopped

Established Member
Isn't it just a bird chirping in the background? I couldn't make out any doppler effect, it just started and stopped

Sounded a lot like a blackbird doing a warning call, although it does seem to get increasingly louder as the duff gets nearer.

Phil6219

Isn't there a known thing on the Class 47 where when the engine is running at full for quite a while where a buildup of sulphur? forms on the exhaust, the chirp is from globs of it falling back into the engine.

If anyone has seen the Locomaster cab ride of North Star - South West they point it out as it is quite audible.

That said it may not be in this case.

Phil 8-)

6S83

Hello, everyone. I was just watching this video --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZf6pMbaj8E&feature=relmfu
of 47851 & 47854 on Shap the other day. There does seem to be a sort of squeaking noise coming from the leading loco, as it's audible in both the shots. What might be doing that?

It's the turbocharger that makes the chirping noise, blades catching on the housing possibly. If you ease the controller off you can hear the chirping slowing down.

DXMachina

If dump valves would do on a train what they do on a chavved-up Corsa, thank god for that

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Kevin from Compass Tours (big 47 follower) did explain to me how the bird chirping works, it was on the Hereford tour as the 47/8 was doing it, a known thing on the ex-47/4s.

I forget what it was but I *think* it was to do with air or oil and the turbocharger, basically meaning it's on it's way out or something like that...

Status
Not open for further replies.