• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Albans - Boundary Zone 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class377

Hi,
Travelling to the Olympics tomorrow and, as such, have got a Zones 1-6 travelcard. Last time I did this I got a return to Elstree and Borehamwood (ELS) and got a slow train each way. I was wondering if it's possible to buy a ticket, however, from SAC to Boundary Zone 6 and get a fast service? I believe this is allowed, but from browsing here a while back I read that you can't buy it on the way into London, but only coming back?
Thanks for the help :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes, no problems. Fares are as follows:

• Anytime Day Return:

• £9.20 with no railcard.
    • £6.10 with railcard.
    • £4.60 for child.
  • Off Peak Day Return: (Valid on or after the 0929 ex St Albans Monday to Friday, by any train at weekends and on the return portion)

• £7.40 with no railcard.
    • £4.90 with railcard.
    • £3.70 for child.

TP

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
Cheap day return £7.40
Valid by the 09:29 from St. Albans City and all later southbound services.
Valid to return on any train.

Day return £9.20 if you need to depart St. Albans before 09:29.

A better bet if departing St. Albans before 09:29 is to buy a pair of games day singles from St. Albans City to London Games for £4.40 in each direction. These can only be bought over the internet at http://www.nationalrailgamestravel.co.uk/

soil

Established Member
I believe the cheapest option is

St Albans Abbey - London Games (£2.90 each way), or St Albans Abbey - Boundary Zone 6 off-peak return £5.60 (arriving London after 10am), in both cases actually travelling via St Albans City, as it's a shorter route and therefore valid.

trevmonk

Last weekend I made the same journey from St Albans to the Olympic Park and asked specifically for a "return to boundary zone 6" so that I could travel on a fast train that didn't stop at Elstree. However I was given a day return to Elstree which in theory should only be used on stopping trains in combination with the Olympic travel card.

There weren't any ticket inspections and there must have been at least 50 other people boarding with the same ticket combination as me so I think they would have a job enforcing a penalty fare. But we are talking FCC here which means you could end up with a prosecution instead!

embers25

Established Member
Woking actually have signs on all ticket machines advising people with Olympic Travelcards that they need to buy Woking to Surbiton returns from the machines not Boundary Zone Six tickets from the office. The fare is the same though.

soil

Established Member
Woking actually have signs on all ticket machines advising people with Olympic Travelcards that they need to buy Woking to Surbiton returns from the machines not Boundary Zone Six tickets from the office. The fare is the same though.

London Games tickets online are cheaper still.

Status
Not open for further replies.