St Albans City - Tower Hill - Vauxhall (Help Needed)

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by divitrain, 20 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. divitrain

divitrain Member

Hi all

For various reasons I'm moving to St Albans from Kentish Town in a couple of months time and need some advice regarding the cheapest season ticket to get (or any other possible ideas).

I work next to the Tower of London so I need to get to a Tube station roughly in that area 4, sometimes 5 days a week. My girlfriend lives in the Vauxhall/Stockwell area so I need to travel there regularly also.

Is there any cheap (ish) ways of doing this or am I being unrealistic? As St Albans is outside the Oyster system, is it possible to get a travelcard that includes zones 1/2.

Any help massively appreciated!

2. CyrusWuff

CyrusWuff Established Member

A few options spring to mind:

A St Albans City - London Zones 1-6 Travelcard is £103.20 a week (£396.30 a month, £4128 a year)

You can reduce that to £99.00 a week (£380.20 a month, £3960 a year) by purchasing separate St Albans City - London Zones 5-6 and London - Zones 1-4 Travelcards. As both are zonal tickets, it's a valid combination under Condition 19(a) of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage, and the train does not have to stop where you change from one to the other.

You can reduce it a little further, to £98.70 a week (£379.10 a month, £3948 a year) by purchasing St Albans City - Hendon and Hendon - Zones 1-3 tickets, but this would restrict you to trains calling at Hendon in both directions.

Depending on how many tube journeys you make, you could get a point-to-point season ticket between St Albans City and London Thameslink for £82.20 a week (£315.70 a month, £3288 a year). This would cover you down as far as Blackfriars/London Bridge/Elephant & Castle, from where you could use Oyster or Contactless to complete your journey. (And it's perfectly feasible to walk the mile and a half from Blackfriars to Tower Hill).

3. RJ

RJ Established Member

A St Albans Travelcard is £103.20 a week.

Are you eligible for a 16-25 Railcard? If so, you could get a Travelcard for £17.50 a day.

4. DelayRepay

DelayRepay Member

This is what I do (walk, but not to Tower Hill). I have my Contactless card and will use PAYG on the odd occasion I am in a hurry but generally I walk. If it's raining I sometimes get a bus which only costs £1.50.

Are all your journeys in the peak?

Does your work do season ticket loans?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.