• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Albans to London Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueflame8

Hi, from the 12th September until mid June I need to commute from St Albans Station to London Moorgate (and back). This is from Tuesday to Friday and I need to be there for 9am.

I don't know much about season tickets and wanted to find the cheapest option available to me. I would be eligible for a young persons railcard. I also won't need to travel for our holiday periods which will be about three weeks in December and roughly three at the end of March.

Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hi, from the 12th September until mid June I need to commute from St Albans Station to London Moorgate (and back). This is from Tuesday to Friday and I need to be there for 9am.

I don't know much about season tickets and wanted to find the cheapest option available to me. I would be eligible for a young persons railcard. I also won't need to travel for our holiday periods which will be about three weeks in December and roughly three at the end of March.

Any advice would be very helpful! Thanks!

Travelling that regularly, you'll need a season ticket. No railcard discounts on seasons, but it'll still be massively cheaper than buying returns every day, even just four days a week.

Seasons can be done for a bespoke period, if you don't need it for a full year. Google "national rail season ticket calculator".

telstarbox

Established Member
As above, you can get a custom period season for any length between a month and a year - so your first one could be 12 September - XX December.

Assuming this is for university, have you already got your timetable for the year?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hold on a minute!

Could you walk from Farringdon or City Thameslink to your final destination as that will reduce the cost?

A St Albans to London Thameslink weekly season ticket is £83 per week.

The Anytime Day Return is £19.70 and the OP can get a 16-25 railcard which brings this down to £13.00.

If the OP is only travelling 4 days a week it'll be better to buy daily tickets using the railcard. A season ticket from St Albans is poor value for anyone between 16 and 25, even if they were to travel 7 days a week!

Last edited:

blueflame8

Hold on a minute!

Could you walk from Farringdon or City Thameslink to your final destination as that will reduce the cost?

A St Albans to London Thameslink weekly season ticket is £83 per week.

The Anytime Day Return is £19.70 and the OP can get a 16-25 railcard which brings this down to £13.00.

If the OP is only travelling 4 days a week it'll be better to buy daily tickets using the railcard. A season ticket from St Albans is poor value for anyone between 16 and 25, even if they were to travel 7 days a week!

Ahh that sounds like a good idea, it's only about 15 mins from Farringdon. So just to clarify I just buy the anytime day return with my young persons railcard on the day (to Farringdon)?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As above, you can get a custom period season for any length between a month and a year - so your first one could be 12 September - XX December.

Assuming this is for university, have you already got your timetable for the year?

Thanks, yes it's from Tuesday to Friday 9am-1pm each day.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ahh that sounds like a good idea, it's only about 15 mins from Farringdon. So just to clarify I just buy the anytime day return with my young persons railcard on the day (to Farringdon)?

Yes, you can simply buy at the station on the day. To save queuing up each day I'd buy a weeks worth at a time (or buy the following days ticket when you get back to St Albans). Or buy on-line and collect from the ticket machine at the station again I'd buy a weeks worth in one go to save time.

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Note that you have to take Thameslink from St Pancras Low Level to Farringdon on that ticket, and cannot get the London Underground (which is no great hardship)

blueflame8

Note that you have to take Thameslink from St Pancras Low Level to Farringdon on that ticket, and cannot get the London Underground (which is no great hardship)

Sorry what do you mean by the first bit?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, you can simply buy at the station on the day. To save queuing up each day I'd buy a weeks worth at a time (or buy the following days ticket when you get back to St Albans). Or buy on-line and collect from the ticket machine at the station again I'd buy a weeks worth in one go to save time.

Great thanks for your help!

telstarbox

Established Member
Essentially for the Thameslink option you'd need to take a (Thameslink) train from St Albans to Farringdon - you can't get a train from St Albans to St Pancras then the Underground to Farringdon.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you're travelling from St Albans to Farringdon you'd get a direct Thameslink train anyway. It would actually take longer to change to do the last bit by Underground instead of staying on the train all the way from St Albans.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The cost of a 9 monthly season ticket is £2868.50, working out at approximately £15.90 a journey assuming travel only four days a week.

I really don't recommend buying daily tickets. You have no insurance if you lose them, and every extra journey you'll need to pay for yourself.

Don't forget that this is university, so it's unlikely you'll only need to make the trips you think you'll need to your lectures. Wait until you get a social life revolving around campus, or a girlfriend in London, and watch the costs mount.

A season ticket gives unlimited flexibility along the line of route.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The cost of a 9 monthly season ticket is £2868.50, working out at approximately £15.90 a journey assuming travel only four days a week.

I really don't recommend buying daily tickets. You have no insurance if you lose them, and every extra journey you'll need to pay for yourself.

An Anytime daily ticket with a 16-25 railcard (which full time students can have, regardless of age) is £13, which gives you a saving of £3 a day or almost a free trip once a week.

Daily tickets is a no-brainer.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Don't forget that this is university, so it's unlikely you'll only need to make the trips you think you'll need to your lectures. Wait until you get a social life revolving around campus, or a girlfriend in London, and watch the costs mount.

If the OP does get a season ticket, they're probably still best to get a series of shorter ones, avoiding the 3 week holiday periods.

If the only extra cost is replacing lost tickets they'd have to lose 1 in 4 for the season to be cheaper!

blueflame8

I see your point thanks. It's more of a post graduate course so I doubt I'd be out most nights, but you are right - I'll probably make trips a couple of times a week. Would you say it's better to get a season ticket or just the daily ticket and then pay for single trips on my oyster card?

Also am I right in that it would only give me access to the routes along this line? Aside from St Pancras it seems most of the trips I'd make would not be on this line.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I see your point thanks. It's more of a post graduate course so I doubt I'd be out most nights, but you are right - I'll probably make trips a couple of times a week. Would you say it's better to get a season ticket or just the daily ticket and then pay for single trips on my oyster card?

Also am I right in that it would only give me access to the routes along this line? Aside from St Pancras it seems most of the trips I'd make would not be on this line.

Go for either daily tickets or the season ticket for the first term, and assess your situation at the end of the term to see if the other option would have been better.

Then act accordingly the following term.

Unfortunately what we cannot predict is your travel patterns and study-social life balance.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Go for either daily tickets or the season ticket for the first term, and assess your situation at the end of the term to see if the other option would have been better.

Then act accordingly the following term.

Unfortunately what we cannot predict is your travel patterns and study-social life balance.

This is probably the most sensible option.

It is university and you never know how your life will pan out.

Abpj17

(Is Oyster actually valid out to St Albans yet?)

agree with those who suggest walking from Farringdon to Moorgate if you’re very cost conscious.

Carnets may be worth an option doing the math on, although I’m not sure the railcard discount applies. http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/carnet/ (if it does, I’m surprised no one has mentioned; as you’ll be off-peak on the way home, could run math on anytime single and off-peak single each day)

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
(Is Oyster actually valid out to St Albans yet?)
Not yet.

Carnets may be worth an option doing the math on, although I’m not sure the railcard discount applies. http://www.thameslinkrailway.com/tickets-and-fares/carnet/ (if it does, I’m surprised no one has mentioned; as you’ll be off-peak on the way home, could run math on anytime single and off-peak single each day)

I'll not comment on the maths, but carnets do have their own problems. Unless you are extremely careful when dating each ticket you run the risk of being prosecuted for fare evasion if it looks like the date might have been altered. If you make a mistake it often means you have to throw away a ticket which nullifys the discount.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed. I won't use Carnets until the railway either provides proper compostage machines, or sells them on smart cards requiring no manual validation other than tapping in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Frankly, although I see the advantages of having a season ticket in terms of flexibility etc using daily tickets with a 16-25 railcard is a non-brainer.

Even if the OP travelled 7 days a week the total cost would be £76.20, which still undercuts the season ticket price.

I do wonder how many 16-25 year old season ticket holders there are travelling from St Albans.....

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The only downside I can see of buying day tickets in this particular case is the extra hassle of having to queue at a TVM every day, or at the the hassle/time it would take of buying a load of the tickets in batches at the ticket office or online. It would add up to a considerable amount of time over the months. That said, I think the savisng would make it worth it still, especially if you buy your tickets for the next day the night before, when the ticket office is less busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.