• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras International - Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiyero

I booked a promotional Eurostar fare that was London to Paris so had to sort out my own connections from Southampton. I booked megatrain up on Tuesday and as there was no megatrain back (due to the Wimbledon diversions) a £5 Southern Advance back from Victoria on Saturday. I mirrored the connection times Eurostar give for people to connect to that train.
Now I am panicking a bit with what is going on with Eurostar!
I assume that my advance ticket is useless if I miss my booked train due to a Eurostar delay, any advice on my options? The train an hour later is still £5 so I could hedge my bets or is there anything else I could book (Eurostar CIV?) or any walk-up fares that I would be eligible for. I have a gold-card too if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What is your itinerary?

FWIW next time ring up Eurostar (01233 617575 / 01233 617913). I think they should be able to sell you a special Lndon Estar CIV - Southampton walk-on fare each way for £8.20, which includes a cross-London transfer and offers CIV protection in the event of delays.

Fiyero

What is your itinerary?

Eurostar 17:10 - 18:30 (Gare Du Nord - St Pancras)
Southern 19:32 - 22:02 (Victoria - Southampton)

FWIW next time ring up Eurostar (01233 617575 / 01233 617913). I think they should be able to sell you a special Lndon Estar CIV - Southampton walk-on fare each way for £8.20, which includes a cross-London transfer and offers CIV protection in the event of delays.

Do you know how they would get it to me? no time to post now, also when would be the latest I could order it?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
CIV tickets can be sold like normal walk-up tickets from any station office; however proof of the international journey (ie Eurostar ticket) will be required. They are not available online.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
CIV tickets can be sold like normal walk-up tickets from any station office; however proof of the international journey (ie Eurostar ticket) will be required. They are not available online.

Lndon Estar CIV fares are not available from ticket offices.

Ticket offices can only sell London Intl (CIV) fares, which in most cases are more expensive if comparing walk-on fares with walk-on fares.

Eurostar 17:10 - 18:30 (Gare Du Nord - St Pancras)
Southern 19:32 - 22:02 (Victoria - Southampton)

St Pancras - Victoria requires a minimum interchange time of 56 minutes, but I think for Eurostar connections an extra 30 minutes is required for clearing immigration, etc. I am of the opinion therefore that the connection would be risky.

I might be wrong w.r.t. the additional 30-minute margin so someone may correct me on that.

Do you know how they would get it to me? no time to post now, also when would be the latest I could order it?

They can arrange for the ticket to be collected at ticket machines just like any other National Rail ticket booked online. If they are able to sell it, you will have plenty of time to book one for the following Saturday (24th?).

Haywain

Veteran Member
St Pancras - Victoria requires a minimum interchange time of 56 minutes, but I think for Eurostar connections an extra 30 minutes is required for clearing immigration, etc. I am of the opinion therefore that the connection would be risky.

I might be wrong w.r.t. the additional 30-minute margin so someone may correct me on that.

You are not wrong.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
[St Pancras - Victoria requires a minimum interchange time of 56 minutes, but I think for Eurostar connections an extra 30 minutes is required for clearing immigration, etc. I am of the opinion therefore that the connection would be risky.
Being pedantic, it's 35 minutes extra for Eurostar connections, and no distinction is made between inbound and outbound in the eNRT.

In the event of a passport check on arrival at St Pancras, it can easily take half an hour plus to clear, even if you're towards the front of the train.

Fiyero

Being pedantic, it's 35 minutes extra for Eurostar connections, and no distinction is made between inbound and outbound in the eNRT.

In the event of a passport check on arrival at St Pancras, it can easily take half an hour plus to clear, even if you're towards the front of the train.

Obviously Eurostar website doesn't recommend my exact itineray but it does put people getting off my Eurostar onto my Southern service:
17:10 Paris Gare Du Nord 18:30 London St Pancras Int'l
62 minutes connection
You will need to transfer to London Victoria 02h 20m Eurostar 9047
19:32 London Victoria 21:22 Havant 01h 50m Southern 4324

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Lndon Estar CIV fares are not available from ticket offices.

Ticket offices can only sell London Intl (CIV) fares, which in most cases are more expensive if comparing walk-on fares with walk-on fares.

Depends on the TOC, of course, though in most cases tickets to London International have no time restrictions and are valid for two months. Though having had a quick look at a few stations in the Network Area, the London International fares have often been cheaper than the equivalent fare to Zone U1, or at most the same price.

For example:[*]High Wycombe - London International Euro STD Return (EOR) is £21.60, the Off-Peak Return (SVR) to Zone U1 is £28.50, and 2 x Singles (if you need to arrive in London before 10am Monday to Friday) would be £32.20
[*]Enfield Town EOR is £16.40, 2 x Singles (to Zone U1245) would be £16.40
[*]Cambridge EOR is £46.00, Anytime Return (SOR) to Zone U12 would be £52.00
[*]Reading Euro High Saver Return (EVR) is £32.70, SVR to Zone U1 would be £32.70, 2 x SDS (if travelling in the peaks) would be £51.40[/list]

Go outside the Network Area and it's a different story, I'll grant you...

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Depends on the TOC, of course, though in most cases tickets to London International have no time restrictions and are valid for two months. Though having had a quick look at a few stations in the Network Area, the London International fares have often been cheaper than the equivalent fare to Zone U1, or at most the same price.

For example:[*]High Wycombe - London International Euro STD Return (EOR) is £21.60, the Off-Peak Return (SVR) to Zone U1 is £28.50, and 2 x Singles (if you need to arrive in London before 10am Monday to Friday) would be £32.20
[*]Enfield Town EOR is £16.40, 2 x Singles (to Zone U1245) would be £16.40
[*]Cambridge EOR is £46.00, Anytime Return (SOR) to Zone U12 would be £52.00
[*]Reading Euro High Saver Return (EVR) is £32.70, SVR to Zone U1 would be £32.70, 2 x SDS (if travelling in the peaks) would be £51.40[/list]

Go outside the Network Area and it's a different story, I'll grant you...

Oh, yes, I agree. I meant comparing walk-on London Intl (CIV) fares with walk-on Lndon Estar CIV fares.

Needless to say, if compared to normal National Rail fares, they offer many distinct advantages, even if not cheaper price-wise.

button_boxer

Established Member
And adding the Lndon Estar CIV fares into the mix (LNE = London Intl, LOE = Lndon Estar)

• High Wycombe: to LNE - £13.20 single, £21.60 return, to LOE - £11.30 single, no return available
  • Enfield Town: no LOE fares
  • Cambridge: to LNE - £23 single, £30.50 high saver return, £46 open return, to LOE: £6 saver single, £10 open single, no return available
  • Reading via Slough: to LNE - £25.30 single, £32.70 high saver return with no time restriction, to LOE: £9.20 single, no return available

So for High Wycombe a return is cheaper to LNE, for all the other cases (single from HWY and single or return for the others) LOE is substantially cheaper.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, obviously there are exceptions (hence "in most cases"), but on the whole LOE fares tend to be cheaper.

island

Veteran Member

There is not usually a passport check on arrival though.

FenMan

Established Member

Doesn't that depend on whether the service stops at Lille?

I've sat on a Eurostar at Lille with the carriage doors open while, across the platform, a packed SNCF TGV was berthed, also with the doors open. There was a passport check on arrival at St. Pancras.

Clip

Established Member
Yeah Ive been checked every time I have come from Brussells so must be the Lille thing

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Which is probably why Cyruswolf said "In the event of a passport check...". They're not usual, but sometimes they happen. If one does you'll struggle to make that connection.

Fiyero

Thanks for all the comments and advice. Just to let you know I made it from St Pancras platform to Victoria concourse in about 30 minutes so can see how even a minor delay (or passport check) would make a 60 minute connection rather tricky! Think I will definitely look into a CIV option next time to calm my nerves on missed connections!

Status
Not open for further replies.