• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras - Leeds EMT HSTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Can anyone advise of the actual (not booked) arrival times of the following:

1D62 dep. 18.15 STP - LDS arr. 22.19
1D69 dep. 19.30 STP - LDS arr. 23.41
1F70 dep. 19.55 STP - LDS arr. 23.05

Hoping there is a bit of padding in these services, as I'm debating whether to get the last train to York (23.42). Ideally I'd get the one that arrives at 23.05, but if 1D69 normally arrives in early, then I might be tempted to get that one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The 19:30 is a stopper (pretty much everywhere EMT serve on the MML bar Kettering :P ) whereas the 1955 is relatively fast - hence the time difference :)

Established Member
Aye, the 19.30 is an hour longer but means more mileage and a tighter connection :-x

I'm hoping that there is a lot of padding between Sheffield/Wakefield and Leeds, so that the 19.30 arrives at least 5 early.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
2 example services I've been on, 1F70 arrived at 23.05, 1D62 at 22.16.

sonic2009

Established Member
The 1930 is allowed 20 minutes between Wakefield Westgate and Leeds.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Aye, the 19.30 is an hour longer but means more mileage and a tighter connection :-x

I'm hoping that there is a lot of padding between Sheffield/Wakefield and Leeds, so that the 19.30 arrives at least 5 early.

At that time of the night, I will not risk it normally.

However there is a 0032 (I assume you mean weekdays) TPE that goes to York so if you miss the 2342 then it is not the end of the world.

brianthegiant

out of interest, with regards the freight area in the loco, some have red 'door locked out of use' and some have green 'door in use signs'. couldn't spot any consistency. Wouldn't it be interesting to have these in use for additional bookable cycle space on some services, rather than just carrying fresh air?

Established Member
At that time of the night, I will not risk it normally.

However there is a 0032 (I assume you mean weekdays) TPE that goes to York so if you miss the 2342 then it is not the end of the world.

WIll be connecting with the last train to Newcastle, so definitely not a good idea to be late. Booked on 1F70 now.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
out of interest, with regards the freight area in the loco, some have red 'door locked out of use' and some have green 'door in use signs'. couldn't spot any consistency. Wouldn't it be interesting to have these in use for additional bookable cycle space on some services, rather than just carrying fresh air?

As I understand it these doors are a bit troublesome to keep in use, and so with the number of failures it makes sense to clearly sign which doors are in working order and which are not.

redthunder

The times Ive caught 1D69, The train has tended to arrive around 2337/8 ish, it waits for ages at Sheffield then its quite tight for time between there and Wakefield Westgate actually.

The same applies to 1F70 as well but that one should get you comfortably in for 2300 providing it runs on time but its ran 10-15 mins late at Derby and still came to Leeds on time too.

Routing is different too, 1F70 goes direct via Derby, where as the other 2 go via Nottingham then via Langley Mill & Alfreton to Sheffield.

Yew

Established Member

I had a look in a HST on sunday, was quite suprised to see so much space. maybe with cycle space in one, and a kitchen in the other, you could see interesting developments in the Loco vs MU front

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think the best that can be hoped for that space is as luggage/bike storage. It's too noisy to be used as a working environment for people, there's a reason that all HST sets had a TSO modified into a TGSO shortly after introduction ;)

Yew

Established Member
I think the best that can be hoped for that space is as luggage/bike storage. It's too noisy to be used as a working environment for people, there's a reason that all HST sets had a TSO modified into a TGSO shortly after introduction ;)

True, also arent there issues with the fire suppression system. I suppose bikes and extra luggage is all we could hope for on HST's :(

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well seeing as they already have a full kitchen in the buffet I'm not sure what else that space could be used for anyway! Beside having plenty of bike/luggage space isn't exactly a waste of space on a long distance service.

Established Member
The times Ive caught 1D69, The train has tended to arrive around 2337/8 ish, it waits for ages at Sheffield then its quite tight for time between there and Wakefield Westgate actually.

The same applies to 1F70 as well but that one should get you comfortably in for 2300 providing it runs on time but its ran 10-15 mins late at Derby and still came to Leeds on time too.

Routing is different too, 1F70 goes direct via Derby, where as the other 2 go via Nottingham then via Langley Mill & Alfreton to Sheffield.

Aye 1D69 has a long wait at Sheffield, not sure why (might be a crew change), but would have been better to get to Leeds a bit earlier for the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.