• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras - Pau (France)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W230

Established Member
Afternoon all. Around September i am thinking of taking a trip to Pau in south France to visit some friends. I'm trying to work out the best/cheapest way of doing this. I am rail staff so need to get some FIP vouchers ordered (I have a valid FIP card already) though I seem to think these can't be used on international trains? I know they can't on Eurostar anyway but had a feeling this was the same if crossing borders.

Finally, where do I book this? I seem to think the one and only time I went abroad by train I used DB but i'm sure I read somewhere they don't do the bookings anymore.

TIA!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SWT_USER

I have just booked this journey myself to visit family next month. It was €80 in first class from Paris Montparnasse (cheaper than standard as it turned out!) There are very few direct trains, the only one you can use if you are doing the trip in a day and want a civilised arrival time - the 14:20 off Montparnasse. Other trains are available but involve a change at Bordeaux or Dax.

I booked mine at www.captaintrain.com - this allows you to choose seating preferences which voyages SNCF doesn't.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed info - can't help you.with FIP stuff though!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
FIP fares on Eurostar are fixed but quota controlled. Approx £25 standard single or £38 standard premier/leisure first single.

There is often very poor availability on Paris trains in the summer. You can however take the Brussels service as far as Lille and change there for a direct train to Bordeaux or Dax for your connecting train to Pau.

If you have a free international coupon for France you need a reservation/supplement for any TGV or reservation compulsory Intercitie train that you wish to use. In some cases this can be as low as 1.50€ but bank on paying about 10€ pp e/w and you will rarely be disappointed. This can be done prior to travel in the UK or at a booking office in France. Otherwise for local trains you just jump on.

Pau is a great wee place. The scenic line to Oloron Ste. Marie has recently been opened to Bedous (where I'm sure the bus link to Canfranc International will now depart from?).

En y va!

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
Thank you for your replies guys! Sorry its taken so long to get back to this thread. A crazy week...

I shall digest the information now! Sounds like a good place to visit.:D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It occurs to me that by doing this before the end of the year, you're going to be one of the last to experience TGV operation on the classic line to Bordeaux - make the most of it; it's very enjoyable once off the limit of the existing LGV about an hour out of Paris.

The TGV continues on the classic line at up to 135mph and in places the curvature is a bit like Weedon and the Trent Valley were before they eased them straighter a few years ago. It's much more enjoyable than the tilting on the WCML... I speak from experience having done Paris to Lourdes in 2013, Lourdes being one stop further along from Pau on the TGV.

Status
Not open for further replies.