• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras renamed St.Patricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

steamybrian

Established Member
On a trip on the Southeastern today (St.Patricks Day) it was noted that the passenger information services had renamed St.Pancras International to St.Patricks International.
It confused a number of foreign visitors as well as a few local "normals".

(Apologies if the attached picture has been rotated but the original was correct)

Attachments

• Dover Priory 170317.jpg
    Dover Priory 170317.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 264
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deepgreen

Established Member
On a trip on the Southeastern today (St.Patricks Day) it was noted that the passenger information services had renamed St.Pancras International to St.Patricks International.
It confused a number of foreign visitors as well as a few local "normals".

(Apologies if the attached picture has been rotated but the original was correct)

I'm so sick of these TOCs' feeble attempts at humour at the expense of important information for passengers. It's just not funny.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
A bit silly, especially as St Pancras is the one station in Britain where you'd expect there to be a high concentration of tourists and people unfamiliar with the network. Who's to know there isn't a St Patrick's station?

Put a shamrock on the train or whatever if you like, but don't go messing with the PIS.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Agree with the above, do whatever you want as an operator to celebrate Christmas, Valentine's Day or today; but don't do so at the expense of essential, accurate information for your punters.

BurtonM

The railway really isn't somewhere to PIS about.
Make up some comedy prop signs, yes, and make jokes on social media, but changing things on the actual service PIS is too far. Especially if you're not aware of St. Patrick's Day!

daikilo

Established Member
Presumably this was photographed at Dover Priory so could it have been set up locally ... ?

fowler9

Established Member
....bet they will do naff all on April 23rd

The day British people start doing something on St Georges Day I'm sure companies that think they can make money from it will join in. As it is the public just say "You'd think they would do something", who "they" is is unclear, surely it is the English public? If the English public started taking the day off work and going on an all day bender (Which is all St Patricks day really is) I'm sure big business would get involved.

Last edited:

mike57

Established Member
In 2014 on April 1st Virgin renamed Wolverhampton to Wolverine advertising a film. I had a tough job trying to explain to a Chinese couple that it really was Wolverhampton. Their English wasn't good, but still better than my Chinese, and They really thought they were getting off at the wrong stop. Felt sorry for them. Heres a picture I took on the day

Attachments

• dsc_0011.jpg
    dsc_0011.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 157

fowler9

Established Member
In 2014 on April 1st Virgin renamed Wolverhampton to Wolverine advertising a film. I had a tough job trying to explain to a Chinese couple that it really was Wolverhampton. Their English wasn't good, but still better than my Chinese, and They really thought they were getting off at the wrong stop. Felt sorry for them. Heres a picture I took on the day

Is Hugh Jackman or Patrick Stewart a massive rail fan? Isn't one of the Pendos still called X Men Days Of Future Past?

berneyarms

Established Member
The day British people start doing something on St Georges Day I'm sure companies that think they can make money from it will join in. As it is the public just say "You'd think they would do something", who "they" is is unclear, surely it is the English public? If the English public started taking the day off work and going on an all day bender (Which is all St Patricks day really is) I'm sure big business would get involved.

I really wish that people would stop peddling this nonsense.

All over Dublin and Ireland yesterday there were lots of family friendly events that don't involve alcohol, with the largest being the St Patrick's Day parade. There were indeed parades through virtually every town in Ireland.

Walking around the capital, there was a great atmosphere. Yes of course plenty of people were out having a few drinks, but to suggest that the Irish national day is "an all day bender" frankly is offensive to the vast majority of Irish people who enjoyed the day without getting needlessly drunk.

The fact is that the Irish government and Irish Tourist Board have recognised that St Patrick's Day is an opportunity to market Ireland all across the world for both trade and tourism, and are doing so very successfully. It's anything but an "all day bender", but rather a chance to celebrate all things Irish.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
....bet they will do naff all on April 23rd

Does anyone do anything on April 23rd? The only things I've ever seen advertised for St George's Day are BNP/EDL rallies (presumably trying to capitalise on nationalistic sentiment on a day that most people just ignore).

AnthonyRail

Established Member

What film were they advertising?

Veteran Member
Does anyone do anything on April 23rd? The only things I've ever seen advertised for St George's Day are BNP/EDL rallies (presumably trying to capitalise on nationalistic sentiment on a day that most people just ignore).

As Baden Powell declared St George to be the patron saint of (English) Scouting, the organisation has traditionally marked the day (or the nearest Sunday). Round here it's the traditional church parade.

fowler9

Established Member
I really wish that people would stop peddling this nonsense.

All over Dublin and Ireland yesterday there were lots of family friendly events that don't involve alcohol, with the largest being the St Patrick's Day parade. There were indeed parades through virtually every town in Ireland.

Walking around the capital, there was a great atmosphere. Yes of course plenty of people were out having a few drinks, but to suggest that the Irish national day is "an all day bender" frankly is offensive to the vast majority of Irish people who enjoyed the day without getting needlessly drunk.

The fact is that the Irish government and Irish Tourist Board have recognised that St Patrick's Day is an opportunity to market Ireland all across the world for both trade and tourism, and are doing so very successfully. It's anything but an "all day bender", but rather a chance to celebrate all things Irish.

It is not nonsense. People fly from Ireland to Liverpool because it is cheaper than going on a bender in Dublin. Come over to Liverpool on St Patricks day and tell me I am wrong. In Liverpool and many other places it is mostly an all day bender and I am sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

I'm not sure what else I can say to you. Apart from Ladies day at the Grand National meet or the last Friday before Christmas it is the most mental night in Liverpool of the entire year. I say night, it starts early.

If I had to give you a list of nights I will not go out to the pub the above three are it.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member

No, if you want to do what happens on St Patricks Day in England take the day off work and go to the pub.

berneyarms

Established Member
It is not nonsense. People fly from Ireland to Liverpool because it is cheaper than going on a bender in Dublin. Come over to Liverpool on St Patricks day and tell me I am wrong. In Liverpool and many other places it is mostly an all day bender and I am sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

I'm not sure what else I can say to you. Apart from Ladies day at the Grand National meet or the last Friday before Christmas it is the most mental night in Liverpool of the entire year. I say night, it starts early.

If I had to give you a list of nights I will not go out to the pub the above three are it.

It has nothing to do with delicate sensibilities.

There are always going to some that go out and drink to excess. You can see that in any UK city on a Saturday night.

But I'm going to repeat myself - I was in Dublin City Centre for much of yesterday and I didn't see everyone out "on an all day bender". I saw families out enjoying themselves at the parade and other events.

If you are telling me that the majority of the people in Dublin and Ireland were out drinking all day then I well tell you quite simply that you're wrong. That is what I take offence to as it is simply not true.

We have the biggest St Patrick's festivities in the world here in Dublin with several million people here celebrating, and from what I can see there were virtually no arrests - that tells me that what you're claiming as a broad generalisation of Irish people is not the case.

I cannot comment on what goes on in Britain, but I can certainly tell you that the biggest St Patrick's festivities in the world here in Ireland passed off pretty much without any real problems. But don't let that reality get in the way of a good rant.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
It has nothing to do with delicate sensibilities.

There are always going to some that go out and drink to excess. You can see that in any UK city on a Saturday night.

But I'm going to repeat myself - I was in Dublin City Centre for much of yesterday and I didn't see everyone out "on a bender". I saw families out enjoying themselves at the parade and other events.

If you are telling me that the majority of the people in Dublin and Ireland were out drinking all day then I well tell you quite simply that you're wrong. That is what I take offence to as it is simply not true.

We have the biggest St Patrick's festivities in the world here in Dublin and from what I can see there were virtually no arrests - that tells me that what you're claiming as a broad generalisation of Irish people is not the case.

I cannot comment on what goes on in Britain, but I can certainly tell you that the biggest St Patrick's festivities in the world here in Ireland passed off pretty much without any real problems. But don't let that reality get in the way of a good rant.

Mate right from the start my comment was in relation to what happens in the UK and was replying to someone asking why we don't do the same on St Georges day. It was directly related to what happens in the UK on St Patricks day. I wasn't commenting on what happens in Ireland but don't let that reality get in the way of a good rant. Get over yourself.

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Mate right from the start my comment was in relation to what happens in the UK and was replying to someone asking why we don't do the same on St Georges day. It was directly related to what happens in the UK on St Patricks day. I wasn't commenting on what happens in Ireland but don't let that reality get in the way of a good rant. Get over yourself.

With respect - you made a very general comment about St Patrick's Day - you simply said it was an excuse to go on an all day bender.

I think I have every right to counter a general comment like that, because frankly it's ignorant and offensive to the vast majority of Irish people who don't behave in the manner you suggest.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
With respect - you made a very general comment about St Patrick's Day - you simply said it was an excuse to go on an all day bender.

I think I have every right to counter a general comment like that, because frankly it's ignorant and offensive to the vast majority of Irish people who don't behave in the manner you suggest.

Look mate I apologise if I gave the impression that I think the Irish are a bunch of drunks or that getting drunk is all St Patricks Day is all about. If anything I was slating the people of my own city and what happens here on St Patricks day.

I have nothing against the Irish. Two weeks back I was at the wake of one of my best mates fiance at St Michaels Irish Centre in Liverpool. Another one of my best mates wife is from Dublin. I'm from Liverpool, half of my family is Irish.

My original comment was based on what goes on in Liverpool on St Patricks Day and how people not involved go on about "You'd think they would do something for St Georges".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.