• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras to Leicester in 60, can it be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I don't mean to veer off topic however a few posts in this thread have made me think the following:

From a very basic perspective, not including weather/track conditions, gradients or anything like that, (lets just imagine a completely flat section of track).

So, the question is, if you had a A 2+4 set (MTU) HST and a *insert coaches here* 222 side-by-side, starting from a standstill, what are the performance differences between the following and which train would be the first to: 0-60, 0-100, 0-125 & 100-125.

This question would understandably only be applicable for a driver to get an accurate answer.

A 222.

0-60mph in 59 secs

A 2+4 HST is 70 secs.

And a 222 is better at higher speed performance anyway so it would beat an HST to 100 or 125mph.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanDaDriver

A 222.

0-60mph in 59 secs

A 2+4 HST is 70 secs.

And a 222 is better at higher speed performance anyway so it would beat an HST to 100 or 125mph.

222 all day long. They’re lovely (if not a bit dull) trains to drive. Although correspondingly thirsty.

A light HST power car would struggle to match it. (Disregarding the light 43 speed restrictions etc etc)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
222 all day long. They’re lovely (if not a bit dull) trains to drive. Although correspondingly thirsty.

A light HST power car would struggle to match it. (Disregarding the light 43 speed restrictions etc etc)

I imagine the greater % of powered axles makes a difference, particularly in poorer conditions, but simply a 222 has more power for its weight.

EMT have light power car speed restrictions then?

Status
Not open for further replies.