• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

St Pancras to Liverpool St, Faringdon change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Cto15E

I am now of an age whereby I am not so mobile and need to reduce my walking if possible.

Tomorrow I will be going from St Pancras (EMT) to Liverpool St (GA), I have always walked from the EMT platforms to near the large statue, and down the stairs to the Hammersmith line tube to Liverpool St, but it is now a struggle walk wise.

Would I be any better going down the nearest escalators to EMT and then down to Thameslink and getting the Thameslink train to Faringdon and then change to the tube? I am not familiar with Faringdon station.
I have an Oyster card but not a through rail ticket.
TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am not familiar with Faringdon station.

You will have to cross a footbridge to get from the southbound Thameslink service at Farringdon to the eastbound Hammersmith and City line platforms. There may be a lift but I've never sought it out so can't say for sure if there is one or not.

I confess I don’t know the specifics of this at St Pancras, but at most large stations there is an assistance buggy available to help people navigate from one side to the other.

It might be worth giving EMT a ring using the details contained here and see if they can help you out at all. If they can give you a lift down the concourse it might be easier than changing at Farringdon.

hooverboy

On Moderation
I am now of an age whereby I am not so mobile and need to reduce my walking if possible.

Tomorrow I will be going from St Pancras (EMT) to Liverpool St (GA), I have always walked from the EMT platforms to near the large statue, and down the stairs to the Hammersmith line tube to Liverpool St, but it is now a struggle walk wise.

Would I be any better going down the nearest escalators to EMT and then down to Thameslink and getting the Thameslink train to Faringdon and then change to the tube? I am not familiar with Faringdon station.
I have an Oyster card but not a through rail ticket.
TIA
yes,I would say so.

farringdon station has lift access from rail to underground platforms.
not too much of a walk at all.

38Cto15E

Thanks all, I am not so bad at walking but I was just looking at an easier option, oh for St Pancras in the old days when the track almost reached Euston road. :)
I will give Faringdon a go tomorrow for future reference purposes, ps: I am going to Norwich for a couple of days on the 37's etc, maybe also the Harwich -Felixstowe ferry :)

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Thanks all, I am not so bad at walking but I was just looking at an easier option, oh for St Pancras in the old days when the track almost reached Euston road. :)
I will give Faringdon a go tomorrow for future reference purposes, ps: I am going to Norwich for a couple of days on the 37's etc, maybe also the Harwich -Felixstowe ferry :)
From past disappointment make sure that you book the tiny ferry crossing in advance. When I just turned up the skipper fell over laughing and said that all places were booked solid for the next three days. There is a mobile phone number to call, apparently.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Far easier to pop downstairs at STP to the low level platforms than to walk the full length of the station to the sub-surface underground platforms. There are escalators and lifts available too.

The interchange at Farringdon is straightforward, there are lifts but no escalators. You will need to cross the footbridge, aim to be towards the front of the Thameslink train when boarding at STP.

Established Member
From past disappointment make sure that you book the tiny ferry crossing in advance. When I just turned up the skipper fell over laughing and said that all places were booked solid for the next three days. There is a mobile phone number to call, apparently.

It’s a bigger vessel these days, Google the website for times.
Never knew that ferry exsisted, one for the future!

Just be aware that although it’s just a short walk from Harwich Town station, it’s a fair way from Felixstowe station. A bus does run hourly to where the ferry lands, but if walking is a struggle the shingle beach at Felixstowe won’t help. Alternatively stay on board for a return crossing, the views of the container port are quite impressive.

Probably worth a thread in its own right rather than hidden here.

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Far easier to pop downstairs at STP to the low level platforms than to walk the full length of the station to the sub-surface underground platforms. There are escalators and lifts available too.
However if you come back by the same route you have to walk nearly half way down the length of St Pancras to get to the escalators and lifts up to the EMT level, then back again on that level (whereas the "down" escalators are much closer to the EMT ticket barriers). So I'd say in that direction once the change at Farringdon is added in there's not much to choose between that and staying on the Met/Circle all the way.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
However if you come back by the same route you have to walk nearly half way down the length of St Pancras to get to the escalators and lifts up to the EMT level, then back again on that level (whereas the "down" escalators are much closer to the EMT ticket barriers). So I'd say in that direction once the change at Farringdon is added in there's not much to choose between that and staying on the Met/Circle all the way.

I still think the Farringdon change is preferable though.

What might be better still is to change to Thameslink at somewhere link Luton Airport Parkway rather than at St Pancras, depending on where the OP is travelling from.

38Cto15E

Thanks very much for the great input everyone, this is what rail forum is all about. I am keeping my options open on the ferry part as it looks like it may get pretty wet on Wednesday afternoon. I know there is a number 77 bus from Languard Fort to the centre of Felixstowe but I am going to buy a Ipswich-Harwich town Off Peak day return in case I come back the rail route. I have been on the Anglia Plus Rover about 4 times already this year but I find the Cross Country 170 journey from leicester to Ely a bit of a nightmare, so via London this time.
Once more thanks for the help everyone.

sga962

As someone who works at St Pancras, If you tell the station you get on at that you need assistance to transfer to the underground or to thameslink, we can be there to provide assistance when you arrive including, if you need it, a station wheelchair

38Cto15E

sga Thank you very much for the offer, fortuntately I can still walk short distances unaided, it would just be nice with the new St Pancras if EMT didn't terminate near to Cambridge Street depot . :)

Status
Not open for further replies.