• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

.sta commands and stopping positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil_hippo

I have just downloaded the new 153. The problem is, I have no route files made for 153s and the stopping positions aren't right for a single carriage. This lead me to wonder how simple .sta commands are. Would it be easy for a lay player of BVE like me to change the stopping position or are the commands very complicated and to be handled by experts?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom B

Established Member
It's actually .stop which controlls the stopping position - .sta defines the station and .stop the precise stopping point.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
In the majority of cases a single coach train will stop at the same place as a 2 coach train, infact I've never seen a 1 car stop anywhere (that doesn't mean they don't exist though). If you do want to change the stopping position though, you just need to adjust the position of the .stop command, simple as that.

If your train length doesn't have a stop board (ie, 1 car) then you use the next one up. In this case you would use the 2 or 3 car stop. With the 37 run it would stop at the S car stop becasue it has 6 coaches but also a loco.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
I think the point he was making is that, in real life, a 153 would usually stop short of a 2 car stop board because it is more practical. For example, my local station only has VT 4/5 and VT S boards. Both of these are towards the far end of the platform and it would not be practical for a 1, 2 or 3 coach CT local service to use the 4/5 stop board, it's nowhere near the main waiting area on the platform. The same can be said in most BVE routes, the stop boards, even 2/3 car ones tend to be located further down the platform than a 153 could and probably would normally stop.

evil_hippo

It's generally obvious where to stop, it's just a matter of not being told to go forward because the stopping position is for a different type of train.

So, could someone explain how the .stop commands work?

ok, the .stop command cosists of the following

.stop x,

You need to substitute x for either 0,-1 or 1,

0 will not place any stop markers on the track
-1 will place a stop marker on the left of the track
1 will place a stop marker on the right of the track

I think there is a command for adjusting stopping allowances (the default is +/- 5.0m unfortnatately I dont know how it works. Perhaps someone else could explain

Tom B

Established Member
From BVE 4 it's actually

.stop x1;x2;x3

where

x 1 - the side as described by EB
x 2 - tolerance forward }
x 3 - tolerance backward } - might be the other way round - not sure

evil_hippo

All very well, and setting tolerance forward or setting tolerance backward certainly could boost realism, however what I'm wondering is how one moves the position the train is intended to stop at.

T

Tom

Move the .stop command based on where you want it to stop in metres (iirc) from the start of the route.

evil_hippo said:
right. As an example, what does .Stop 0;25;20 mean?

.Stop 0 = no stop marker is to be placed on the track.

25 = underrrun tolerance- this means that the doors will open as long as the train is within 25 metres backwards from the correct stop point.

20 = overrun tolerance- this means that the doors will open as long as the train is within 20 metres farward from the correct stop point.

See diagram below

direction of travel >>>>

<----------------------------->|<---------------------->
25 metre u/run tolerance................20 metre o/run tolerance
............................................^
...............................The correct stop point

Bill EWS

Hi Everyone,When driving 'Bubble' Cars, in my case the 'Classic' DMU type. The most logical place to stop was 'centrally' to the point where the station entrance/booking Office/ Station building was situated. There were no markers for single car units. Likewise, you didn't have a computer bawling you out for a mm stopping difference, here and there, which is quite rediculous and an annoyance in BVE. Obviously with longer trains stopping markers are placed and stopping at these is also the logical place to aim for, but again mm's of difference aren't used as a black mark against the driver. The computer treats everyone alike, as idiots, and as I have mentioned previously, when passengers see a train is gong to stop a little further ahead or shorter than expected, they tend to move the next point on the platform where the next set of doors will most likely stop and any delay is kept to the very minimum and not usually a problem in the total timing of the journey.

Giving that the average length of a coach is apprx. 60ft a central position would give you an allowance of apprx. 15ft each side of the central point to stop within.

Of course, BVE is still a Game and so it has the same sort of 'competitive' measures built-in, but this kind of computerised precision is an annoyance to me, as on the real railway the length of stopping error that I generally made would not be given a second thought. If train companies are training drivers to this level of precision on their simulators then all I can think is that they are trying to produce a bunch of trained Monkeys and not 'Human' drivers. But then, that's only my 'personal' opinion.

I suggest that if you stop, whatever train reasonably centred within the stopping mark for your train then just ignore the 'warning' messages just as you ignore 'You have passed the station you should have stopped at' when you havn't got to a station as yet, or "Move back/forward to correct position" when stopping at a signal not liked to a station. They are just a quirk of BVE. Then you can start enjoying your driving on BVE. Apart from when timing trains for Beta Testing, I tend to switch of the timetable and just drive the train, stopping where required, without worrying about the precise times and I know by the way I am passing through the sections and stopping at stations or arriving at freight terminals, how well I have done.

The trouble with computerisation, TPWS and the rest is that while they have their positive uses it means pen-pushers (or should that be keyboard-tappers) are now driving the trains from their offices, instead of the driver in the cab.

Cheers.

BillEWS.

NORTH STAR

The tolerances on the Berks & Hants routes are minimum 25m... nothing worse than having to crawl forward because you were 5.1m out.

evil_hippo

Of course, naturally I stop where passengers are; as close to the booking office and the exit as that will allow. And if BVE doesn't like that... F6!

Status
Not open for further replies.