• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff assulted and probably deserved it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisM

Witnessed a Guard being punched today at Netley and after first helping and backing up the Guard by stopping another guy jumping in the Guard twice pushed the guy for no reason and telling him to 'come on and get it' the guy punched him in the face and knocked his glasses off.
Now i have in the past helped railway staff and indeed have friends who are Guards,Driver and a brother who is SWT Supervisor and know what is and isn't acceptable but this Guard pushed his luck and payed the price.
His comment was 'they don't normally do that' :confused:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lewisham2221

Established Member
It's human nature to retaliate when attacked. Whether it be physically or verbally or both. Some people are better at trying to control their urge to retaliate than others, this guard obviously wasn't willing to just sit there and take it, good on him.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Lewisham2221 said:
It's human nature to retaliate when attacked. Whether it be physically or verbally or both. Some people are better at trying to control their urge to retaliate than others, this guard obviously wasn't willing to just sit there and take it, good on him.
I think it was the other way round - the guard pushed the guy who then hit the guard back!

Chris can you clarify exactly what happened? Was the train crowded or something?

ChrisM

Trouble is the guy had walked away from the Guard,it was the Guard who started on the guy on the platform and wound him up by pushing him and then knocking his baseball cap off.
The Guard was talking to the guy on the platform,shut all the doors except the one i was standing in which the Guard was using.
The Guard first said 'come on then,come and get it' egging the guy to walk towards the train before the Guard stepped off the train and pushed the guy in the stomach,stepped back on the train and was about to close the doors when the guy stepped upto the doors and just stared at the Guard,the doors were just closing when the Guard leaned out and knocked the guys cap when instantly the guy punched the Guard.
At the time i was behind the Guard and had hold a of a guy (i thought was with the other one but wasn't) because he had run up the coach and was egging the guy on the platform on to hit him.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
If the guard pushed the guy first then yes, it's unnacceptable.

I read the original post as being that the guard was punched, retalliated and then was hit again.

Coxster

Established Member
I'm not sure I understand what the guy did in the first place?

ChrisM

Coxster said:
I'm not sure I understand what the guy did in the first place?
Nor do i.
Not sure if he was getting on the train or had just got off.
I saw both the guy and the Guard standing next to each other talking on the platform,the Guard walked back to the train and then turned around and approached the guy on the platform, then it all started.
I can now confirm that the Guard neither called for assistants or it seems want's to take it further even though it was caught on CCTV.

O L Leigh

Established Member
So, would it be fair to say that this guy might have antagonised the guard to the point where the guard could no longer contain himself...?

It seems very harsh to me that you've judged the guard's actions without necessarily having seen the entire incident, and worse that you suggest that the guard might have deserved to be attacked.

one TN

Coxster

Established Member
ChrisM said:
Nor do i.
Not sure if he was getting on the train or had just got off.
I saw both the guy and the Guard standing next to each other talking on the platform,the Guard walked back to the train and then turned around and approached the guy on the platform, then it all started.
I can now confirm that the Guard neither called for assistants or it seems want's to take it further even though it was caught on CCTV.
From that I've changed my opinion as you didn't see the full incident. I'm now guessing perhaps the guard was removing the guy from the train hence why they were talking on the platform. When the guard walked back to the train the guy could've muttered something under his breath that the guard heard and that caused the arguement? Anything could've happened on the train beforehand. Do you know if the driver was made aware of the incident?

ChrisM

Clearly you have missed the point.
The Guard,yes was wound up and should have walked away instead he 'choose' to start it all up again and approach the guy and push him to which he got no reaction so after starting to close the doors and with the guy standing next to the doors (on the platform) the Guard thought he would flicked the guys cap and then was hit.
I was quite prepared to back the Guard up and was keeping hold of a second youth that was on the train and had the guy on the platform entered the train i would have stepped in knowing the Guard was no match for the guy on the platform.
I know a few Guards and even though they would love to hit back know they shouldn't and the reasons why and not to put the safety of yourself and the passengers at risk which this Gurad was clearly not bothered about.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
one TN said:
So, would it be fair to say that this guy might have antagonised the guard to the point where the guard could no longer contain himself...?

It seems very harsh to me that you've judged the guard's actions without necessarily having seen the entire incident, and worse that you suggest that the guard might have deserved to be attacked.

one TN
It sounds to me that the guard attacked a passenger and the passenger retaliated, and that the title of the thread is probably a little misleading. No-one deserves to be attacked, I agree totally.

Coxster - That could be the case but if so, someone saying something is no excuse for attacking them.

asopu10

It is hard to walk away if there being ****s, but you just have to, some people need more self control. It would seem in this case both of them needed more!

voyagerdude220

Established Member
What would management people do about this kind of incident? (If they were made aware)

Lewisham2221

Established Member
voyagerdude220 said:
What would management people do about this kind of incident? (If they were made aware)
I suspect that if a staff member was physically attacked first, and was simply retaliating, then they would in most cases defend the staff member. If, as now seems to be the case here, the member of staff was aggrevating the situation, I would guess some sort of disciplinary action.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Lewisham2221 said:
I suspect that if a staff member was physically attacked first, and was simply retaliating, then they would in most cases defend the staff member. If, as now seems to be the case here, the member of staff was aggrevating the situation, I would guess some sort of disciplinary action.

Ok thanks that makes sense

ChrisM

Turns out the guy wouldn't show his ticket (probably invalid) to the Guard.
The train stopped at Netley and the Guard opened the doors and the guy jumped off but the Guard still wanted to check the ticket.
I'm surprissed the Guard never make a complaint and hope he learnt his lesson, it's not worth putting yourself in danger for something so minor or indeed losing your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.