• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff fatality at Surbiton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Paul Clifton (BBC) has tweeted that a staff member has died after being struck by a train at Surbiton. No further details in the public domain yet but from Traksy it appears that 1L29 to Salisbury or 2J25 to Hampton Court have been stationary in the area for two hours. I do have further information but as a TOC employee I cannot say any more until the appropriate authorities make more facts publicly available. I expect the RAIB to be involved in this incident.

Disruption on all line until 1900 expected but not as bad as usual due to the Covid timetable reducing services. Byfleet to New Malden remains closed at the moment.

moderator note: link to tweet and quote-

Paul Clifton on Twitter: "Breaking - a railway worker has died after being hit by a train at Surbiton. Major disruption on Waterloo routes is obviously expected for the rest of the day." / Twitter

Breaking - a railway worker has died after being hit by a train at Surbiton. Major disruption on Waterloo routes is obviously expected for the rest of the day.

1:39 pm · 9 Feb 2021

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

My condolences go to everyone involved in this tragic incident, having worked on the railways for over 35 years, it was never a call you
ever wanted to receive.

vikingdriver

Railway worker killed by passenger train near Surbiton - BBC News - link from the BBC

A rail worker who was hit by a passenger train has died.

The 30-year-old man from Hampshire was struck by a service operated by South Western Railway near Surbiton, Kingston, south-west London, shortly after 11:30 GMT.

Power to the tracks was switched off to allow emergency services access to the scene.

Major disruption is expected on all routes in and out of Waterloo until 19.00.

Manuel Cortes, general secretary of the Transport Salaried Staffs' Association (TSSA), said it was wrong to speculate about what happened but called for a "full and thorough" investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:

theironroad

Established Member
Horrendous.

A bit of track I regularly drive over.

Thoughts and prayers with this fella's family and friends and colleagues , especially any other who witnessed it and the pway, s&t teams.

Obvs, my thoughts with the fellow drivers who witnessed this and staff and passengers.

Stay safe everyone.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The ORR posted this with obvious mention to the BTP and RAIB and no doubt an investigation will be published in the coming months/year.

We are saddened to hear of the death of a railway worker near Surbiton today. Our thoughts and sympathies are with his family and colleagues.

A safety inspector attended site and we're working with BTP and RAIB to investigate the full circumstances of what happened.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A short update from the RAIB:

Track worker struck by a train near Surbiton​

Investigation into a track worker struck by a train near Surbiton station, south-west London, 9 February 2021.

Aerial view of the area

Aerial view of the area.

At around 11:35 hrs on Tuesday 9 February 2021, a track worker was struck and fatally injured by a passenger train near Surbiton station, south-west London. The train, which was travelling from London Waterloo to Salisbury, was travelling at around 76 mph (112 km/h) on the down fast line.

The track worker was part of a group of four staff who were undertaking a planned inspection of switches and crossings (points). The work was planned to take place while the lines were open and with arrangements in place to protect staff from train movements.

Our investigation will aim to identify the sequence of events which led to the accident and will include consideration of the actions of those involved, the planned protection arrangements, the planning of the work relating to the inspection of switches and crossings where lines are open to traffic, and any relevant underlying factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.