Staff member assaulted at Manchester Piccadilly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darandio, 20 Aug 2019.

1. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Hopefully he's rounded up soon, scumbag.

http://media.btp.police.uk/r/16703/footage_released_of_staff_member_assault_at_manch

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. baz962

baz962 Established Member

4. NoMorePacers

NoMorePacers Member

Calling him a scumbag is disrespectful to scumbags imo.

5. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

Absolute scum!!!

6. Wychwood93

Wychwood93 Member

Luckily something over four weeks have passed by since then! Surely BTP have been looking into this since the event?

7. Darandio

Darandio Established Member

Presumably given they added it to their website, Youtube and Twitter today then they haven't found him yet.

8. HLE

HLE Established Member

Lock him up. Probably a baghead.
    Poor woman, hope she's okay.

9. Pluto

Pluto Member

Even more shocking, he's got a child with him.

10. DanTrainMan185

DanTrainMan185 Established Member

The fact that he's assaulted anyone is bad enough in itself, yet the fact that he's assaulted a female member of staff in front of a child is inexcusable.

Disgusting behaviour. Hope he gets what's coming to him.

More importantly, hope the member of staff makes a speedy recovery and isn't too shaken up.

11. Bensonby

Bensonby Member

Generally because of some of the vagaries of the way identification evidence works all other lines of enquiry to identify someone need to be exhausted before police publish CCTV of an incident. This is why there sometimes seems to be a long delay in releasing footage/stills.

12. Ambient Sheep

Ambient Sheep Member

Holy cow. Normally I'm as far from the "hang 'em and flog 'em" brigade as it's possible to get... but this guy should be locked up for a very long time indeed.

13. Pluto

Pluto Member

So am I and I'd normally being saying innocent until proven guilty but the footage looks pretty conclusive, hopefully he'll contact police of his own volition.

14. jkkne

jkkne Member

I imagine if caught he’ll get a fine and pay a victim surcharge (if he works)

I really do feel for frontline staff at times, you couldn’t pay me enough (and we absolutely don’t pay them enough) to do that role.

15. RWill35396

RWill35396 Member

Unacceptable behaviour. Staff are there to do a job, not to get assaulted. Unfortunately, it is all too common now. I hope the perpetrator either gives himself up or is caught, and then is made to take responsibility for his actions.

16. Howardh

Howardh Established Member

Disgraceful behaviour, hope they are found, convicted and banned from using railways for, well, a lifetime would suit me.

17. kevconnor

kevconnor Member

Are plea bargains permitted in these cases in English courts?

If so, would it be down to BTP or CPS to decide such a course of action?

18. 416GSi

416GSi Member

Frankly I hope and expect that the police find he and prosecute him to the fullest extent possible. He is a danger to the public at large to say nothing about the person he assaulted.

I would hope that the child is taken away from this thug, what sort of example would this man give to a child.

19. Morden Via CHX

Morden Via CHX Member

Absolutely appalling.

20. Gathursty

Gathursty Established Member

Whenever I have been at Manchester Piccadilly day or night, there have always been BTP/armed police on patrol within the station. How come he wasn't apprehended immediately?

21. Mathew S

Mathew S Established Member

Not in the way you see 'across the pond' or on TV, and where they do happen they are agreed by senior, independent, CPS prosecutors according to a very strict set of criteria, with every one scrutinised by the court hearing the case. The only two circumstances where they are permitted are a) a defendant testifies against co-conspirators, or b) there are difficulties proving a more serious offence (e.g. someone pleading to manslaughter where murder can't be proven). Neither of these criteria seem to apply here.
    I won't rehash the all the details of plea bargains here, because it's not the place, but there is an excellent description explaining both how they work and why they are desirable at https://www.inbrief.co.uk/court-proceedings/plea-bargaining/

22. Saperstein

Saperstein Member

Appalling behaviour.

I hope the member of staff is ok, I hope this man is found soon and is put away. I pity the little girl, poor kid.

If this man can do that to a stranger then what’s things like at home? (Assuming he’s her dad or some other relative).

It’s scary.

Saperstein.

Last edited: 21 Aug 2019
  23. 175mph

175mph Member

I would have insulted him with the word 'rodent' but that would be an insult to rats and mice etc. <(

24. Pluto

Pluto Member

That's what I thought and I'm surprised none of the bystanders took action or at least followed him and informed the police of his whereabouts.

25. Justapunter

Justapunter Member

Clearish video. He’s identifiable. And deserves a three year prison term. But it won’t happen.

Poor woman. This is when you hope for a large security presence or that big Scottish bloke who threw the moron off a train. There is absolutely no excuse for that. What Chance has the child got growing up with a violent father like that?

Surely this is one that the police need to get to go on the national press. He’ll be found within hours.

26. AlterEgo

AlterEgo Veteran Member

BTP have tweeted about it - hopefully he will be found.

27. Pluto

Pluto Member

His sentence would depend on various factors including any previous he might have.

He's already been featured in some newspapers.

28. furnessvale

furnessvale Established Member

This particular incident was caught on CCTV and has rightly caused outrage.

Sadly this sort of thing is a daily occurance in the UK, both on and off the rail system. Most instances go almost unnoticed. :(

29. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

Honestly. The man in question does not deserve the right to be called a "gentleman". He does not deserve the right to be able to travel on the UK railways. He is a horrible person for attacking someone for doing their job.
    Interestingly, there seems to be another member of staff who lets him through, but after the man has assaulted the woman, the other member of staff does nothing! Hmm...

-Peter

30. Bantamzen

Bantamzen Established Member

Appalling scenes there, let's hope the person in question is brought to justice.

31. Dieseldriver

Dieseldriver Member

From what I saw, the other member of staff attempted to grab him, the vile piece of excrement got free and then the other staff member went to check on his colleague. If the member of staff had struggled with the excrement resulting in injuries to the child it wouldn't have looked good on the staff member. I find it puzzling that a serious assault occurs yet you seem concerned with what an innocent railway staff member did in the aftermath.
    He did the right thing given the circumstances.
    As for the incident, normally I like to be reasonable and adopt the 'there's two sides to every story' type of attitude. But in this case, there is no excuse for this behaviour and I sincerely hope he is caught and severely punished for his disgusting actions that there is never an excuse for.