• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff members when TOCs change

Status
Not open for further replies.

pt_mad

Established Member
What happens to front line members of staff when TOCs change?

Say for exampe in December Virgin lose West Coast to first. Do all dispatcher, guards, ticket sellers etc transfer to first?

What about management? Would team leaders and the next rank transfer?

I presume higher level staff wouldn't be moved. At what level would redeployment stop?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Often it's vice versa - lower staff stay and higher ranks change.

Last edited:

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
The Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations (TUPE)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Transfer of Undertaking Protection of Employment regulations.

It applies to all employees, across the board, whatever position in the organisation.

What it basically means is that 99.9% of people stay in their existing jobs, whoever they are. If any managers leave it is down to their personal preference, they cannot be forced out either.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In simple terms everyone goes to bed one day working for VWC and the next day wake up and are working for First West Coast (or whoever).

TUPE is the series of rules that regulate the treatment of staff in situations like this. Just google TUPE.

pt_mad

Established Member
ahh ok. But what about senior management. I mean surely if the DFT don't want a TOC back then they won't want the same managers running the new franchise.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
ahh ok. But what about senior management. I mean surely if the DFT don't want a TOC back then they won't want the same managers running the new franchise.

As I said earlier, as long as they are employees, they have the same right to transfer as everyone else.

TUPE is not just there for what would usually be referred to as 'the workforce'.

Oracle

Established Member
In that case the old employers have to make the employees redundant, and/or dish out loads of dosh for ending their contract. The new employers take on anybody subject to their existing conditions. That means that years of service, and all the benefits or burdens that attaches thereto, are taken on by the new employers.

pt_mad

Established Member
In that case the old employers have to make the employees redundant, and/or dish out loads of dosh for ending their contract. The new employers take on anybody subject to their existing conditions. That means that years of service, and all the benefits or burdens that attaches thereto, are taken on by the new employers.

I see so that top guy at Virgin, is it Chris someone? He will go to whoever gets the next WCML contract? So he may run First West Coast if they get it?

starrymarkb

Established Member
Possibly - Chris Green is often regarded as one of the best managers in the industry...

pt_mad

Established Member
Sorry about all the questions.

So what about when National Express lost east coast. Even top management stayed on with direct rail?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The new franchise company must take on all employees of the old franchise company.

In practice, some or all of the top team of the franchise are often employed by the owning group rather than the company set up to run the franchise, so these people usually stay with the owning group.

Where the MD and directors are employed by the franchise company (as was the case for the last franchise to change hands) then the new franchise company is obliged to take them on. However you can expect the individuals concerned to keep loyal to the owning group if the latter wants to keep them, say for future franchise bids. Similalrly, those that choose to transfer will normally only do so if the new franchise company wants them; if they elect to transfer when the new company has made it clear they are not part of future plans then on day 1 they would have a 'tea no biscuits' conversation followed by a quick trip to a recruitment consultant.

Also it's Chris Gibb at Virgin. Chris Green left years ago.

Last edited:

D1009

Established Member
Transfer of Undertaking Protection of Employment regulations.

It applies to all employees, across the board, whatever position in the organisation.

What it basically means is that 99.9% of people stay in their existing jobs, whoever they are. If any managers leave it is down to their personal preference, they cannot be forced out either.

Depends what you mean by forced out. They can and do usually have a restructuring, meaning that they have to apply for jobs in the new organisation because they are not the same, and can become surplus to requirements and be offered redundancy.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I see so that top guy at Virgin, is it Chris someone? He will go to whoever gets the next WCML contract? So he may run First West Coast if they get it?

If he wants it and they want him. People like him can usually get whatever job there is going.

Established Member
From what I've seen a couple of times, generally business as usual unless the franchise is altered / merged with another.

ATOC passes are not reissued with the new operator name on until they expire in June. Occasionally preparations are made before the change date such as new uniform ordering and major changes to back office staff and management.

Additionally, when a franchises changes from FirstGroup to another company the staff are usually out drunkenly celebrating <D

34D

Established Member
If he wants it and they want him. People like him can usually get whatever job there is going.

If he is employed by the entity that is being transferred, then "if the new TOC wants him" is irrelevant.

Additionally, when a franchises changes from FirstGroup to another company the staff are usually out drunkenly celebrating <D

Which has happened all of twice? First North Western (which partially became First TransPennine) and First Great Eastern? Doubtless I'll now get shot down in flames for forgetting another one.

Eagle

Established Member
Which has happened all of twice? First North Western (which partially became First TransPennine) and First Great Eastern? Doubtless I'll now get shot down in flames for forgetting another one.

Anglia Railways. Their parent company, GBR, was bought out by First a year before that franchise ended. (GBR also owned GBRf, obviously, and most of Hull Trains.)

KA4C

What happens when franchise holders change? As has been said staff get a new tie, name badge, DVD's to watch and someone re-inventing the wheel

dk1

Veteran Member
What happens when franchise holders change? As has been said staff get a new tie, name badge, DVD's to watch and someone re-inventing the wheel

Exactly ;)

Greater Anglia have even said they are not going to even bother attempting Harmanisation between old Anglia/GE/WAGN crews, after NX failed to get this agreed in 8 years. I dont blame them.

michael769

Established Member
What can sometimes happen, in other industries is that the very senior execs are (in legal terms) employed by the parent company rather than the subsidiary and so fall outwith TUPE. It kind of makes sense and in some cases the execs will have worked on the franchise from well before the ToC even really existed.

I see no reason why that would not be the case for ToCs.

In reality for the really good execs I suspect both the parent company and the new ToC might be looking to make them job offers....

AndrewP

As already said the TUPE regulations mean that nothing immediately changes for staff. Just turn up for work as normal unless specifically told not to.

Many big companies in service industries see TUPE as one of their main recruitment methods and manage it very well (it can be a very cheap way of getting good, experienced staff).

The key to any successful transfer is communication - tell potential transferees what is going on, how it will affect them and above all be honest otherwise corrosive rumours will start to spread and gain momentum.

Finally working with unions can be a great help with TUPE. Engage with them early and they will help you look after the individuals affected - key as this affects people's lives.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Possibly - Chris Green is often regarded as one of the best managers in the industry...

I think the poster was referring to Chris Gibb, Virgin Trains Chief Operating Officer.

The Chief Executive is Tony Collins. Chris Green hasn't been with Virgin for a while!

Jobsworth

Don't confuse managers with directors. They are different animals. Managers are employees whereas directors are board appointments on different terms and conditions. Not sure if they are covered by TUPE in any form but I suspect not.

Status
Not open for further replies.