• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Taravel On The Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 valleys

Hi guys.Can anyone confirm a couple of questions regarding the sleeper.From the information I can find it appears all staff travel is prohibited in the seated coach.However can I buy a privilege 75% discounted standard single with a seat reservation? Regarding child dependants,do they get a further discount on the sleeper berths or do they just pay the standard 75% reduction based on a adult fare.Finally,is there any truth in the rumour that Serco have restricted the number of berths available for staff bookings,possibly only 4 berths per portion.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Hi guys.Can anyone confirm a couple of questions regarding the sleeper.

Sure,......

From the information I can find it appears all staff travel is prohibited in the seated coach.

Correct.

However can I buy a privilege 75% discounted standard single with a seat reservation?

Not a seat reservation, no. Did you mean berth? You can get a 75% discount on whatever berth inclusive fare(s) (advance/walk up) is available at the time of booking. These fares are quota controlled. See below.

Regarding child dependants,do they get a further discount on the sleeper berths or do they just pay the standard 75% reduction based on a adult fare.

Not sure with this one. I think that child dependants get the standard child priv discount of 88% off the adult fare (75% of the public child rate) without the maximum capping of £2. Check this though.

Finally, is there any truth in the rumour that Serco have restricted the number of berths available for staff bookings, possibly only 4 berths per portion.

Staff berths are quota controlled, yes. However you can travel with a box/priv ticket and a public rate berth supplement if there are no berth inclusive fares on your sleeper of choice.

TEW

Established Member
The usual restrictions apply to class of travel too. So if you hold an ordinary Standard Class Staff Travel Card, you may only purchase Standard Class Berths. Either shared, or the hard to come by Standard Solo berths. You can't purchase a First Class berth.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
quote:www.atoc.org/rst

caledonian sleeper services: Staff fares from 1 april 2015
caledonian sleeper services between london euston and edinburgh / glasgow / aberdeen / inverness / fort william are now operated by serco.
Discounted fares are available on these services to both safeguarded and non safeguarded staff, and their dependants. The privilege rate fares represent a 75% reduction on the public fare at the time of making the reservation and are inclusive of travel and berth accommodation.

Please note that staff travel holders are not permitted to travel in the seated accommodation on caledonian sleeper services. The only exceptions to this are the legs between fort william and edinburgh, and kingussie and inverness (and vice versa) where the sleeper train forms a day service (reservations are compulsory).

Currently privilege rate reservations can only be made at national rail station ticket offices. For gold status pass holders, who are eligible to travel free on caledonian sleeper services, the most convenient method of making a reservation is by contacting serco’s guest service centre on telephone number 0330 0600 500.

When boarding the service you will need to produce your staff travel card (there is no need to date a box on the card) or toc privilege card to validate your reservation.

As an alternative staff travel holders may purchase a privilege rate off-peak/anytime ticket for the journey (or date a box on their staff travel card if safeguarded) and pay the sleeping berth supplement. However, it is often cheaper to purchase the inclusive travel and berth accommodation fare at the 75% discount.

The £2 flat/maximum fare for children is not available on sleeper inclusive products, although privilege tickets purchased for dependent children at this rate are valid when paying the sleeping berth supplement. Please note that children accompanying retired travel facilities holders who are not entitled to hold travel facilities of their own (e.g. Grandchildren) will not be granted any concessionary travel on caledonian sleeper services.

All caledonian sleeper fares are subject to availability, and the fare will be confirmed at the time of making the booking.

13 valleys

Thanks for the replies guys.You have been very helpful.I was considering buying a Priv Saver Return from Glasgow to London Euston.Travel down on a daytime service and return on the seated portion providing I had a reservation,however the info posted clearly states I can't.Thanks for taking the time to reply.

13 valleys

Hello again.My employer is Scotrail.I was thinking of doing a journey from London Euston to Fort William.I'm happy enough to take advantage of free travel and then purchase another ticket at £85 to obtain sole use of the berth.However the £85 price is pretty hard to get in the month of June.Do you think I would be allowed to buy a Priv Rate ticket for the lower bed and use my Scotrail pass for the upper bed,therefore get sole use at a great price.It is a bit cheeky I suppose and is probably bending the rules.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
To be fair that used to go on when ScotRail ran it but it's a big no no now. The sleeper staff take a very dim view of that these days your mystery friend could/would be classed as a no show and the empty berth may be allocated to another passenger.

NB If Hercule Poirot had to share on the Orient Express then I don't see the problem on the much shorter journey to Scotland - I've met some really interesting people whilst sharing on the sleeper. TBF I'm probably inured to sharing having experienced school dormitories and army barracks where back in the day communal sleeping was de rigeuer.

Find a colleague to make the trip with & then at least you can share with someone you know......

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.