• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff travel pass jargon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlexiDriver

Hey all,

I've just got my staff travel pass through for the first time and it says DUTY, LEISURE AND RESIDENTIAL.

Couple of questions, what's the difference between Leisure and Residential and does DUTY cover commuting?

Cheers in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peterthegreat

Established Member
Hey all,

I've just got my staff travel pass through for the first time and it says DUTY, LEISURE AND RESIDENTIAL.

Couple of questions, what's the difference between Leisure and Residential and does DUTY cover commuting?

Cheers in advance!
I take it is a TOC specific pass?

AndrewE

Established Member
It's the terms and conditions of having the concessionary tickets - and some recent threads here show just how important it is to obey the rules. Loss of concessions is the first (least) sanction for infringement, but loss of job is the ultimate penalty.

It is for you and you alone, but "DUTY, LEISURE AND RESIDENTIAL" is pretty good: go anywhere you are permitted (on your TOC?) for any reason, so that means while at work or for work purposes, and whenever you are off duty just for fun, and commuting too.

In the old days you had to have a duty pass if you were in a job which might justify it, plus either specific free tickets or (later) a staff travel card with dated boxes, plus a residential pass (free mileage then pay 1/4 the public season ticket price beyond that) to get that value!
I guess what you have got was a silver or gold pass 40 years ago!

Last edited by a moderator:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Whilst we can provide generic meanings of the terminology, it’s probably wise to clarify what you can and cannot use your pass for with your line manager/staff travel team.

Efini92

Established Member
Hey all,

Cheers in advance!
Duty only covers when you’re at work or travelling to a training centre.
Leisure is when you’re not at work.
Residential is travel to and from work.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
That sounds like a fairly standard travel arrange for your own TOC. As explained already, DUTY covers using it for work purposes (i.e when required to travel as an integral part of your work such as to another office or as part of a crew diagram), RESIDENTIAL can be used for commuting to place of work and LEISURE is whatever you want to do!

Seek extra clarity from your line manager or HR if you need it.

PlexiDriver

Thanks for all the information! Yeah it's GWR so I was just curious and it seems you're right so thank you for that one :)

si_145653

So I assume “DUTY” allows you to travel on other TOC’s to/from training centres too.

I am a week out from starting at GWR and home travel for me would often be more beneficial on CrossCountry (its a 2 hr wait for GWR) and I understand the current GWR/CrossCountry arrangement of allowing staff to use each others services ends on the 24th June so “DUTY” would cover me.

Assuming we are talking about the National right to travel pass and not the GWR company specific one (not all of mine has arrived so i dont have all the pieces of the puzzle)

Last edited:

FGW_DID

Established Member
So I assume “DUTY” allows you to travel on other TOC’s to/from training centres too.

I am a week out from starting at GWR and home travel for me would often be more beneficial on CrossCountry (its a 2 hr wait for GWR) and I understand the current GWR/CrossCountry arrangement of allowing staff to use each others services ends on the 24th June so “DUTY” would cover me.

Assuming we are talking about the National right to travel pass and not the GWR company specific one (not all of mine has arrived so i dont have all the pieces of the puzzle)

No, if you are travelling from home I.e your local station to work (the training centre) it would be residential travel

travelling from the centre to another location for training would be duty travel.

The national “PRIV“ card is for leisure travel only.

As you say the agreement between GWR & XC expires in a weeks time and there has been no announcement as of yet about an extension.

si_145653

No, if you are travelling from home I.e your local station to work (the training centre) it would be residential travel

travelling from the centre to another location for training would be duty travel.

As you say the agreement between GWR & XC expires in a weeks time and there has been no announcement as of yet about an extension.
Thanks for clarifying.

Lets keep put fingers crossed for a extension with GWR and CrossCountry

This query popped up on our course and it does say on the back of the Duty Travel Card 'attending a driver training academy' and told it was permitted as the training academy wasn't your normal place of work i.e. home depot and so it was OK to use it. Obviously double check this but hopefully you'll be OK

Edit... have just looked at mine, I've noticed it expired 2 weeks ago! Time to contact RST

AVTB

From my TOC’s info on various travel passes, it states residential is not how the word makes it sound. It’s not for travel from home/your home station to work.

Residential travel is defined by them as travel to work for purposes other than your actual work, earning no money for the company. Examples given are medicals and interviews within the business.

It categorically states it is not to be used to travel on other TOCs to get to/from work for normal shifts. That would be a travel irregularity and seems to be a serious offence.

Then on the part where it says about which travel can be used to travel to and from work for normal shifts it mentions two options: using my own TOC (or our partner TOCs) pass for unlimited travel to/from work OR buying a discounted season ticket for travel on other TOCs.

Obviously clear as mud, as seems to be standard on the railway.

driver9000

Established Member
From my TOC’s info on various travel passes, it states residential is not how the word makes it sound. It’s not for travel from home/your home station to work.

Residential travel is defined by them as travel to work for purposes other than your actual work, earning no money for the company. Examples given are medicals and interviews within the business.

It categorically states it is not to be used to travel on other TOCs to get to/from work for normal shifts. That would be a travel irregularity and seems to be a serious offence.

Then on the part where it says about which travel can be used to travel to and from work for normal shifts it mentions two options: using my own TOC (or our partner TOCs) pass for unlimited travel to/from work OR buying a discounted season ticket for travel on other TOCs.

Obviously clear as mud, as seems to be standard on the railway.

Sounds like they're muddying the waters slightly. Residential travel has always been accepted as ordinary commuting to or from work but they're right that you should buy a discounted season ticket if not using your own trains. My company has a reciprocal agreement with another company that allows residential travel between my home station and work which is printed on my pass. Both companies serve the route well so thankfully I've never needed to even look into the season ticket process.

PlexiDriver

So I have a GWR travel pass now, would that also entitle me to free travel on the Night Riviera?

I'll obviously check fully first, but I'm just curious if anyone knows! :)

FGW_DID

Established Member
So I have a GWR travel pass now, would that also entitle me to free travel on the Night Riviera?

I'll obviously check fully first, but I'm just curious if anyone knows! :)

Yes but if you want a berth you still have to pay the supplement.

Status
Not open for further replies.