• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Travel Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledsabbath

Evening,

I am going to be travelling from Putney / East Putney to Reading for work starting in the next few weeks.

My idea was was district line to Paddington and the fast out rather than the slow train from Waterloo and getting on it at Clapham J.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pricing and the best way I could do it?

I am a non safeguarded, Rail Staff Travel Card, no oyster card purchased yet or anything.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
Evening,

I am going to be travelling from Putney / East Putney to Reading for work starting in the next few weeks.

My idea was was district line to Paddington and the fast out rather than the slow train from Waterloo and getting on it at Clapham J.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on pricing and the best way I could do it?

I am a non safeguarded, Rail Staff Travel Card, no oyster card purchased yet or anything.

For what company. Is your staff travel with?

scrapy

Established Member
I'm sure others can advise on best fares but a Rail staff travel card is only for leisure use not commuting and you (or the employee if you are on a spouse or dependants card) can face disciplinary action or withdrawal of travel facilities if it's misused. It has recently been renamed rail staff leisure card to emphasise this.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I'm sure others can advise on best fares but a Rail staff travel card is only for leisure use not commuting and you (or the employee if you are on a spouse or dependants card) can face disciplinary action or withdrawal of travel facilities if it's misused. It has recently been renamed rail staff leisure card to emphasise this.
The employee can purchase a discounted season to get to/from their work location

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Evening,

You need to contact your staff travel facilities section to find out what the staff travel arrangements are for commuting to and from your place of work.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Priv-discounted season tickets are not valid on the Underground, as you are non-safeguarded. In any case, you can only buy discounted point to point season tickets, not Travelcards, and the only point to point season tickets from Putney to Reading are routed "not via London".

So if you intend to travel on GWR via Paddington then you will need to pay public fare if you don't have any staff passes that would be valid for commuting use (some TOCs have reciprocal arrangements).

There is a useful guide to non-safeguarded staff travel facilities on the RSTL website.

Haywain

Veteran Member
You can by a priv rate season (monthly or longer) between Paddington and Reading but that’s about as good as it gets. You’ll need the relevant completed application form to go through RSTL before you can buy and they require 7 days notice.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
You can by a priv rate season (monthly or longer) between Paddington and Reading but that’s about as good as it gets. You’ll need the relevant completed application form to go through RSTL before you can buy and they require 7 days notice.
Whilst RSTL have the authority to approve discounted season ticket applications with origin stations that aren't the closest station to where the applicant lives, I would be surprised if they accepted Paddington in this case.

I know of several cases where someone has a staff pass covering part of their commute, but RSTL have refused a discounted season for the uncovered part. Of course if the OP really wants to go for it, there's no harm in asking RSTL.

It is worth noting that, at £258.85 a month, the combined cost of a Zones 1-2 Travelcard (£142.10/month) plus Priv-discounted Paddington to Reading season (£116.75/month) is considerably greater than £101.60 for a Priv-discounted Putney to Reading season.

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
slow train from Waterloo and getting on it at Clapham J.
Well that would make it even slower! If going that way from Putney it's usually best to change at Richmond. There is also the odd train direct from Putney to Reading. But as you mentioned, it's a very slow route.

Status
Not open for further replies.