• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stafford-Bournmouth. Why Platform 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangie

Established Member
Think this has been answered before but I couldn't find it.
Why does the CrossCountry Manchester - Bournmouth service always use platform 1 at Stafford? Platform 1 is usually for Euston trains. Other services towards Birmingham use platform 4.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I suspect pathing reasons, maybe because of a Liverpool- New St (slow) train being booked into 4 at that time?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Euston Liverpool conflicts with it in some hours north of Stafford if the XC crosses into 4, thus it goes into 1.

The Planner

Veteran Member
I can't recall the plans off hand, but if there are two lines over the flyover (which I think there is) then this wouldn't be an issue. It isn't now to be fair.

Crossover

Established Member
They don't always go into platform 1 (they used to a few years ago but lately they haven't)

Didn't like it when they changed it to 4 as it meant a longer walk after getting off the train :(

dangie

Established Member
They don't always go into platform 1 (they used to a few years ago but lately they haven't)
They seem to have gone back to platform 1. I was there for a few hours yesterday when two Bournmouth trains used platform 1 and the third used platform 4 for which a platform change was announced as the Crewe-Euston London Midland was in platform 1

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I can't recall the plans off hand, but if there are two lines over the flyover (which I think there is) then this wouldn't be an issue. It isn't now to be fair.

There's about 100 Mb of info on NR's public website about the job, published over something like a two year period, but nothing obvious I've found so far about the actual track layout...

To be fair most of the bumph is consultation about the effects on the locality of various options for cuttings and viaducts, and road closures/diversions, but it is a bit surprising it doesn't explain what they are actually building... :roll:

martinsh

Established Member
Euston Liverpool conflicts with it in some hours north of Stafford if the XC crosses into 4, thus it goes into 1.

But the XC could cross to the slow line in two places, either Norton Bridge or just north of Stafford station (as the Liverpool - Birmingham 350s normally do), surely both places can't clash with the Euston - Liverpool ? [ In fact the Liverpool is almost always late and holds up the XC in platform 1 !! ]

The other (Bristol) XC goes off P4, but I'm not sure whereabouts it crosses.

D1009

Established Member
Line speed on the slow line from Norton Bridge is lower, also the slow lines often need to be kept clear for freight.

The Planner

Veteran Member
But the XC could cross to the slow line in two places, either Norton Bridge or just north of Stafford station (as the Liverpool - Birmingham 350s normally do), surely both places can't clash with the Euston - Liverpool ? [ In fact the Liverpool is almost always late and holds up the XC in platform 1 !! ]

The other (Bristol) XC goes off P4, but I'm not sure whereabouts it crosses.

Yes it can cross at both places, but it can't use Stafford North/Doxey as it a clash with the Liverpool and using Norton Bridge is slower into Stafford as mentioned. I fail to see the fuss to be honest, it works and if XC didn't like it they would soon shout.

Established Member
Platform 1 is better for Stafford passengers anyway, that being the platform with the station building on...

Status
Not open for further replies.