• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stafford Station any good

Status
Not open for further replies.

windoze11

Off to Stafford station tommorow is it any good is there a variety of stuff through there looking at getting some shots of class 86s and 70s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
Stafford station, brilliant!

Best place for spotting would be either end of platform 3/4

You get plenty of London Midland stock, Virgin Trains, Cross Country, the best time for freight is either eirly morning (up to 10) or afternoon (from about 3 onwards)

You should get a wide range of stock

Crossover

Established Member
Stafford is a pretty good station and gets a fair few workings.

I was there today for the charity thing they are doing (I will post a new thread somewhere soon about it in case anyone on here is interested) and it is a fairly major interchange as its where a number of lines diverge.

In the hour I was there today there was a Class 70 went through and a (I think) special working of a double headed light engine Class 37 - if memory serves correct I am sure it went through on headcode 1Z99 (though not an express passenger service :s)

That was about lunctime - but have also been around catching trains round 5pm and there is usually one seemingly before the xx:30 XC to Manchester Piccadilly - on occasion its been a car transporter.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is it ok to walk on the platformand take pix then

I've never had any issues taking pictures round the station and one of the guys I spoke to today has said they have had spotters around taking pictures when there are steam specials etc.

From what I have heard, some of the staff carry cameras too in case of the occasional special working (hence I know about the aforementioned Class 37 move been out of the ordinary!)

Last edited:

Welshman

Established Member
I endorse all that has been said about Stafford - far better than Crewe, say,where you can hear freight trains rumbling through on the avoiding lines but not actually see them!

And when you tire of standing on the platforms, there's even a glazed bridge with a seated waiting area, where you can sit and see the trains in warmth and comfort. What more could anyone want?

Hydro

Established Member
if memory serves correct I am sure it went through on headcode 1Z99 (though not an express passenger service :s)

1Z99 is used for rescue trains going to recover a failed train IIRC.

Crossover

Established Member
1Z99 is used for rescue trains going to recover a failed train IIRC.

From another thread I have since found out it was a rescue train going to rescue the failed 37 from Colwich Junction so looks like that is the case - thanks for the info :)

bnm

Established Member
Interesting for photting. Was there a few weeks back waiting for a Pendo to Liverpool. Only there 20 minutes but along with the the passenger stock I saw a 70, a brace of sheds running light engine and an 86.

Not interesting from an architectural point of view. Unless 1960s Brutalist design floats your boat!

colpepper

You'd have to find train movements interesting because Stafford is one of the most soul-less concrete station lumps on the network.

tbtc

Veteran Member
You'd have to find train movements interesting because Stafford is one of the most soul-less concrete station lumps on the network.

A lot of the WCML stations suffer from this, they are "functional" but lack any character - the trains may be interesting but the architecture less so

colpepper

A lot of the WCML stations suffer from this, they are "functional" but lack any character - the trains may be interesting but the architecture less so
True. From Euston north the WCML is a lesson in 1960s brutalist architecture. Stafford's only redeeming feature is there's a Titanic pub less than 100 yds away (or was last time I visited).

Pumbaa

Established Member
True. From Euston north the WCML is a lesson in 1960s brutalist architecture. Stafford's only redeeming feature is there's a Titanic pub less than 100 yds away (or was last time I visited).

Excellent! I've been looking for a nearby pub! I can guarantee that due to the shocking Sunday timetables which won't be remedied until May 2012, I miss my connection to Liverpool when coming up the Trent Valley usually by about 30 seconds, and then have to wait another hour. That will ease many an afternoon at Stafford.

martinsh

Established Member
Stafford's only redeeming feature is there's a Titanic pub less than 100 yds away (or was last time I visited).

If you are thinking about the Stafford Arms - that was closed and demolished in 2006 !!!

There is now a Titanic pub in Stafford again (The Sun) but it's a bit further away. Also a Wetherspoons close by it.

Pumbaa - PM me if you want info about pubs in Stafford.

colpepper

If you are thinking about the Stafford Arms - that was closed and demolished in 2006 !!!
Crikey! That shows the reluctance with which I visit Stafford voluntarily. I was once told Stafford was a watering hole for Glaswegians heading to London by train. I've no idea of its veracity but break of journey restrictions must have killed it if it was ever true.

Crossover

Established Member
Agreed. "Dingy" doesn't even come close!

I prefer Stafford to the likes of New Street to be honest (though I'm aware that doesn't take much) and it seems safer than the likes of Wakefield Kirkgate and probably a few other stations around

It has improved slightly recently as they have done some platform works.

Generally though, I'm sure the majority of the public just want a good service and a nice looking station building is just an added bonus
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pubs in Stafford?

Well, there's The Yard which is the closest!
There is The Bear Inn, Joxers Brady, The Pie and Ale House, Apres Bar and The Lord Nelson
The Yard is the closest though by a mile

Agreed about The Yard, even quicker if the park is open too - not a half bad place either from experience.

I've had a complete blank now as to what it is called, but you may be able to help Ian. The one as you walk up to the church and used to be the Hogs Head before it reopened recently?

Am I also right in thinking there is another one opposite - Bird In Hand?

colpepper

The historical reasons for the ransacking of WCML stations I'm not sure about. Electrification may have played a part but the Midland Region of the 60s certainly set about demolition with an uncommon gusto not seen to the same extent on ECML and elsewhere.

I agree efficiency must come first but how many of the old LNWR and MR stations were really so inefficient? And at what cost architecturally?

sprinterguy

Established Member
Pubs in Stafford?

Well, there's The Yard which is the closest!
There is The Bear Inn, Joxers Brady, The Pie and Ale House, Apres Bar and The Lord Nelson
The Yard is the closest though by a mile

The Pie and Ale House is a great place, best if you’re going there for something to eat though rather than just a quick drink. It serves the best pie I’ve ever tasted. It would be a crying shame not to sample it if popping in there! Good ale on tap too!

Stafford is excellent for fairly decent pubs near to the station. This may have some bearing on why I’m so fond of Stafford. I quite like to break my journey there for a quick pint (or three) when time allows.

Both "The Hogs Head" and "The Bird in Hand" ring bells with me. I know that I've been in both but wasn't paying a huge amount of attention to the names. As far as pubs in Stafford go, from the station there's no real need to delve any further into the town centre than that sort of area.

Crossover

Established Member
Just checked and yes, the Bird In Hand is next to St Mary's Church

However, I am pretty sure the Hogs Head is now under a new name (franchised I think) - I am probably going to be going past tomorrow or at the weekend to get to the station so will try and remember to have a look and report back

sprinterguy

Established Member
Just checked and yes, the Bird In Hand is next to St Mary's Church

However, I am pretty sure the Hogs Head is now under a new name (franchised I think) - I am probably going to be going past tomorrow or at the weekend to get to the station so will try and remember to have a look and report back

Just had a quick delve on the internet and it's reported that the Hogs Head has reopened as "Chambers". Will have to wait and see if that's accurate.

Crossover

Established Member
Just had a quick delve on the internet and it's reported that the Hogs Head has reopened as "Chambers". Will have to wait and see if that's accurate.

That very much rings a bell.

Also to echo sprinterguys other post, I'd also recommend the Pie and Ale House.

To also add, if its a nice day and you have a long wait at Stafford, the park opposite is also quite a nice place to spend a little time too

sprinterguy

Established Member
That very much rings a bell.

Also to echo sprinterguys other post, I'd also recommend the Pie and Ale House.

To also add, if its a nice day and you have a long wait at Stafford, the park opposite is also quite a nice place to spend a little time too

Chambers rings a bell with me as well. I really must pay more attention to the names of the drinking establishments I'm passing by/meandering into. (I tend to go to the Bird in Hand first when in Stafford, and given that it's another decent pub with ale on tap, tend to come out a tad hazier)

I agree that the park is rather pleasant on a nice day too.

Status
Not open for further replies.