• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stafford Station Revamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
I note that as part of the rebuild of Stafford, Pumpkin cafe has been replaced by Starbucks. Are Pumpkin outlets disappearing altogether or have Virgin opted for somebody willing to pay more rent at Stafford?

Is anything being done to platform areas as part of the revamp?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
I note that as part of the rebuild of Stafford, Pumpkin cafe has been replaced by Starbucks. Are Pumpkin outlets disappearing altogether or have Virgin opted for somebody willing to pay more rent at Stafford?

Starbucks have taken over quite a few Pumpkin Outlets. Taunton and Shrewsbury to mention two.

ag51ruk

Are these Starbucks just SSP franchising the name (like all the motorway services ones), or are they actually Starbucks owned?

They are SSP operated - when the Sheffield one first opened, it was unable to accept Starbucks Gift Cards due to the different tills they used although this may have been resolved

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
They are SSP operated - when the Sheffield one first opened, it was unable to accept Starbucks Gift Cards due to the different tills they used although this may have been resolved

Unlike Pumpkin/Upper Crust and the other SSP outlets they don't accept SSP's Bite card, or the Pumpkin 10th coffee free card.
A new Starbucks is now the only coffee outlet at Manchester Victoria (other than the even pricier Beer House).

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Something that I have noticed at major railway stations nowadays in relation to retail outlets is that there seems to be a proliferation of Star*ucks, Boots, and Cafe Nero cropping up everywhere.

It is not the rent I would actually be concerned with from those companies - what I would be concerned about is the amount of (very little, or zero) tax that they pay. It is well known that that Star*ucks, Boots, and Cafe Nero have intentionally avoided paying tax to the UK Treasury, hence my main reason for not using them.

ilkestonian

Something that I have noticed at major railway stations nowadays in relation to retail outlets is that there seems to be a proliferation of Star*ucks, Boots, and Cafe Nero cropping up everywhere.

It is not the rent I would actually be concerned with from those companies - what I would be concerned about is the amount of (very little, or zero) tax that they pay. It is well known that that Star*ucks, Boots, and Cafe Nero have intentionally avoided paying tax to the UK Treasury, hence my main reason for not using them.

But you can hardly blame the landlords for wanting to maximise the rental potential of the sites. Its for government to sort out tax issues, not Network Rail or other property owners.

rdeez

I'm fairly certain the platforms are staying as they are as they were resurfaced and the canopies refurbished very recently. Waiting rooms also aren't that old in terms of their last refresh.

It's entirely about reconfiguring and reallocating the internal space in the entrance hall. Starbucks has replaced Pumpkin, travel centre and ticket windows replaced by three 'open' counter positions, four ticket machines instead of two and a new waiting area off Platform 1 created with space from the former Pumpkin. I'm not entirely sure but I think W.H.Smith will move into what used to be the travel centre - I definitely recall that space being re purposed for retail.

CheesyChips

At a railway station, I don't think it's Starbucks' impact on the UK Treasury you need to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.