• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stafford to Shrewsbury (Direct)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Been pottering around Staffs and Shrewsbury looking for somewhere to live.

Seen a nice village called Derrington, just outside Stafford, which is on the old track of the Stafford to Shrewsbury line. Provoked a few questions...

Anyone know when it closed?
Was it ever part of a network operated by diesels?
Which services used it?
Any good books about it?
Any good picture websites with information?

We have come across a few lines in Staffordshire that are now walkways/cyclepaths that I am sure would have justified a service nowadays!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The line via Newport to Wellington closed on 7 September 1964. I don't know whether some of the old line in Salop has been used for the MoD terminal at Donnington.

martinsh

Established Member
There is a book - "Shropshire Union Railway: Stafford to Shrewsbury Including the Coalport Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)" which I can thoroughly recommend.

Note also that the old line near Derrington is a favourite stomping ground of the "Beast of Gnosall" ! (Staffordshire's own "big cat")

Masboroughlad

Established Member
There is a book - "Shropshire Union Railway: Stafford to Shrewsbury Including the Coalport Branch (Oakwood Library of Railway History)" which I can thoroughly recommend.

Note also that the old line near Derrington is a favourite stomping ground of the "Beast of Gnosall" ! (Staffordshire's own "big cat")

Thank you - think I'll get that book.

Not sure I want to live in Derrington anymore though......... I'll get some Kitekat in!

flymo

Established Member
Seen a nice village called Derrington, just outside Stafford, which is on the old track of the Stafford to Shrewsbury line. Provoked a few questions...

Which services used it?

Looking at the 1922 Bradshaws there are services from Stafford to Shrewsbury General with some services carrying on to/starting from Welshpool

There were also some services from London Euston to Aberyswyth and London Paddington to Aberyswyth and Towyn all of these were Mon-Sat.

There was only one return service on Sundays, Stafford - Shrewsbury General

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
There were never any Diesels on the route before closure - still all steam.
Trains generally ran just between Stafford and Shrewsbury in latter times apart from between Stafford and Wellington only during the evening. Was 1 train through from Stafford to Crewe via Shrewsbury (depart 14 20 ish) and which on occasions could produce a Coronation Class Loco.

flymo

Established Member
Actually the 1962 timetable for the route is online !!!

Timetable world has this table in their winter 1962 LMR timetable. Just navigate to table 75 of the '62/'63 LMR book.

If that link doesn't work just go their homepage and navigate from there.

Marvellous.:D:D

Masboroughlad

Established Member
Actually the 1962 timetable for the route is online !!!

Timetable world has this table in their winter 1962 LMR timetable. Just navigate to table 75 of the '62/'63 LMR book.

If that link doesn't work just go their homepage and navigate from there.

Marvellous.:D:D

Just read that it is on ATOCs hit list of lines to re-open. Seriously, what are the chances of the line re-opening in this generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.