• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staffordshire Bus News

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Not to sure how true this is but I've read on Social Media that apparently all of First South Yorkshire's allocation of MMC200s are supposedly being moved to First Potteries to replace elderly Solar's and Volvo B7 single decks in the fleet.
Don’t know about Eclipses as the 65001-5 Omnicities could do with going before anything. Awful machines

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mjc

First Potteries routes 3,3A,4,4A are in the process of a permanent allocation of streelites, mainly due to Nitrogren Dioxide emissions reduction needed for buses going along Basford bank
I hope they’re not nicking those allocated to 6/6A (pre-Covid, seems more mixed now anyway) as Victoria Road in Stoke is also at risk of severe traffic restrictions to try to reduce emissions.
Hopefully once the Wolstanton-Festival park link is completed that may take some of the traffic off Basford and solve the problem…

Established Member
First Potteries routes 3,3A,4,4A are in the process of a permanent allocation of streelites, mainly due to Nitrogren Dioxide emissions reduction needed for buses going along Basford bank
Looks like there maybe getting some vehicles branded for the routes as well. 63100 is now in orange (similar to the 14 in Leicester) with 'my new and name will be reveled soon' above the windows.

G760XRE

I hope they’re not nicking those allocated to 6/6A (pre-Covid, seems more mixed now anyway) as Victoria Road in Stoke is also at risk of severe traffic restrictions to try to reduce emissions.
Hopefully once the Wolstanton-Festival park link is completed that may take some of the traffic off Basford and solve the problem…
They most certainly have. 6/6A circuit has been populated in the most part by Solars, Omnicities and B7RLE's since mid November. One wonders if this may be temporary though, with the impending arrival of E200MMC's from Sheffield ( 5 so far here, 4 now in service ).

Established Member
First Potteries introduced new timetables on Monday. This included a frequency increase on the 11's to every 10/20 mins (first time I have seen a frequency increase from First!)
Service changes from 2 January 2022 | Potteries | First Bus

Timetable changes from 2 January 2022

Services 6/6A Hanley – Longton – Meir – Coalville/Blythe Bridge
A new timetable is introduced on Mondays to Fridays to improve reliability. Saturday and Sundays are not changing.

Services 7/7A Hanley – Smallthorne – Chell – Kidsgrove/Biddulph
A new timetable is introduced on Mondays to Fridays to improve reliability. Saturday and Sundays are not changing.

Services 11/11B Hanley – Bentilee – Longton – Stoke – Newcastle
More buses will now operate, every 20 minutes between Hanley and Newcastle, every 10 minutes between Hanley and Bentilee.

Service 22 Newcastle – Hospital – Trent Vale – Trentham – Blurton - Longton
A new timetable is introduced on Mondays to Fridays to improve reliability. The Saturday timetable is not changing.

Service 72 Newcastle – Clayton - Westbury Park
On Mondays to Fridays an extra trip will run at 5.41pm from Westbury Tavern to Newcastle.

Services 98/99 Newcastle – Wolstanton – Porthill – Ball Green/Chell Heath
Changes will be made to the early morning and late afternoon timetable to improve reliability.

Next Monday though it is being decreased again due to new weekday timetables on most routes due to sickness levels.
Service changes from 10 January 2022 | Potteries | First Bus
Due to increasing levels of staff sickness most Monday-Friday timetables will change from 10 January 2022. The new timetables are shown below.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused

PDF icon
Monday to Friday timetables from 10 January 2022.pdf

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
First Potteries introduced new timetables on Monday. This included a frequency increase on the 11's to every 10/20 mins (first time I have seen a frequency increase from First!)
Service changes from 2 January 2022 | Potteries | First Bus

Next Monday though it is being decreased again due to new weekday timetables on most routes due to sickness levels.
Service changes from 10 January 2022 | Potteries | First Bus
It wasn't a frequency increase on the 11, merely a restoration to the previous frequency. Although you could be forgiven for thinking that - seeing how long it has been. One day perhaps the 18 (Hanley - Leek) will be restored to an all day 30 minute frequency - as it was until COVID happened.

But why bother when they get the ENCTS re-imbursement as though nothing has been cut. Kerching. Bonuses all round.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
It wasn't a frequency increase on the 11, merely a restoration to the previous frequency. Although you could be forgiven for thinking that - seeing how long it has been. One day perhaps the 18 (Hanley - Leek) will be restored to an all day 30 minute frequency - as it was until COVID happened.

But why bother when they get the ENCTS re-imbursement as though nothing has been cut. Kerching. Bonuses all round.
You've lost me. What has ENCTS reimbursement got to do with timetable changes?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
You've lost me. What has ENCTS reimbursement got to do with timetable changes?
Restoring the 18 to full service. ENCTS is being paid on a 'no change due to COVID basis' ie number of passengers boarding no longer relevent. Fewer buses, lower costs, fewer passengers, same income.

Cesarcollie

Restoring the 18 to full service. ENCTS is being paid on a 'no change due to COVID basis' ie number of passengers boarding no longer relevent. Fewer buses, lower costs, fewer passengers, same income.
That’s only until end of March. And in any event, Bus Recovery Grant is only payable in proportion to mileage, and not at all if mileage drops below 90% of pre-covid levels. That figure can be varied if the reason is staff shortage, but only with local authority agreement, and then will only be paid proportionate to mileage (so for example 80% mileage = 80% BRG).

EuroRail

It's been interesting to read the discussion about the Potteries bus network. I visit the Potteries several times a year for days out and use the bus network, usually starting from Stoke railway station. As someone who is used to the idea of a network, which to me should include multi-operator tickets and day tickets, I don't think there is a true network in the Potteries. It feels like there's just a couple of bus companies running seemingly random bus routes, although it perhaps makes more sense to people who are local. My comparisons are with the West Midlands.
As to my actual bus journeys, on recent visits in the latter part of last year, the buses turned up and ran more or less to time. I'd describe the interiors of both D&G and First buses as clean and ok, if in some cases a little tired...and D&Gs Versa's are noisy! D&Gs 16 route to Leek is the nicer of the two routes to travel on and I have previously done the route all the way to Buxton - great journey, I hope it survives.

station_road

As someone who is used to the idea of a network, which to me should include multi-operator tickets and day tickets, I don't think there is a true network in the Potteries.

There are a couple of multi-operator tickets that cover the area - "The Knot" for most buses in Staffordshire (day ticket only) and a cheaper "Smart ticket" for a smaller area around Stoke (day and period tickets)

https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Transport/buses/Plan-your-journey/The-knot.aspx

https://www.stoke.gov.uk/info/20048/travel/139/smart_bus_ticket

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's been interesting to read the discussion about the Potteries bus network. I visit the Potteries several times a year for days out and use the bus network, usually starting from Stoke railway station. As someone who is used to the idea of a network, which to me should include multi-operator tickets and day tickets, I don't think there is a true network in the Potteries. It feels like there's just a couple of bus companies running seemingly random bus routes, although it perhaps makes more sense to people who are local. My comparisons are with the West Midlands.
As to my actual bus journeys, on recent visits in the latter part of last year, the buses turned up and ran more or less to time. I'd describe the interiors of both D&G and First buses as clean and ok, if in some cases a little tired...and D&Gs Versa's are noisy! D&Gs 16 route to Leek is the nicer of the two routes to travel on and I have previously done the route all the way to Buxton - great journey, I hope it survives.
To back up @station_road, the Knot ticket is very good. It's valid on First and D&G (and the Arriva service from Shrewsbury) in Potteries but not smaller operators like Aimees. It does stretch to Arriva's other Staffs services, Chaserider and Midland Classic as well - used it twice in recent years and had no problems with acceptance.

markymark2000

On Moderation
To back up @station_road, the Knot ticket is very good. It's valid on First and D&G (and the Arriva service from Shrewsbury) in Potteries but not smaller operators like Aimees. It does stretch to Arriva's other Staffs services, Chaserider and Midland Classic as well - used it twice in recent years and had no problems with acceptance.
Aimees, Bennetts, Stantons and Scraggs missing. Maybe more. Not the best system really, they should do more to encourage the smaller ops into the system.

EuroRail

Thanks to those who corrected me in my comments on multi-operator tickets. They sound good, but surely the information on them in the links could be improved? At least D&G, Midland Classic and First mention the ticket on their websites...and tell people they can be bought from the driver! Staffordshire County Council do provide a map showing validity, unlike Stoke.
Whilst this is a bit off topic for this thread (sorry), it does leave me pondering how on earth we are going to get more people to use buses when, in some cases, information is so hard to find. Particularly when forum members have described "managed decline" in this thread for at least one operator.

Contains Nuts

Particularly when forum members have described "managed decline" in this thread for at least one operator.
I’d love to know why people think that bus operators would be remotely interested in ‘managed decline’ - what’s the point of that?

If a service isn’t performing then it usually gets reduced, mainly as an exercise to attempt to stem losses while retaining the service. If that doesn’t work it may be tried again, but eventually it will be withdrawn if it doesn’t work out. This is far from ‘managed decline’ - if an operator wasn’t interested in a service they would cancel it rather than deliberately run it into the ground.

What these ‘enthusiasts’ see as ‘managed decline’ is actually a bus operator trying in vain to retain a commercial service when a local council isn’t interested in supporting it and passenger numbers are not as high as would be hoped. I doubt anyone making the negative comments has ever tried running a bus service themselves.

SLC001

As a newbie I am hesitant to post here but Cannock is in Staffordshire and the thread it is perhaps more relevant to is locked - the one relating to the sale of Arriva's Cannock operations to D&G. This information I have taken from the Express and Star dated 6 January 2022 and so these plans must have been know for sometime so apologies again if posted elsewhere.

Chaserider have said low take up of journeys was to blame for the withdrawal of some routes serving Cannock, Stafford, Lichfield, Walsall and Telford.
All Sunday and bank holiday services will be withdrawn for the Cannock to Pye Green numbers 25 and 26 buses, but will continue to operate Mondays to Saturdays.
The number 61 serving Boney Hay to Lichfield via Chase Terrace and Burntwood will be withdrawn. Alternative services 60 and 62 will continue to provide up to three buses per hour between Cannock, Chase Terrace, Burntwood and Lichfield instead.
The number 74 serving Walsall to Stafford via Cannock and Brocton will be withdrawn with journeys from Walsall, Bloxwich and Cheslyn Hay dropped. The number 74 running between Cheslyn Hay, Cannock and Stafford will remain unchanged.
The number 1 service will continue to operate between Cannock, Bloxwich and Walsall.
The X14 service running between Cannock and Telford via the McArthur Glen Designer Outlet and Shifnal will also be dropped from the schedule.
Passengers wishing to travel between Cannock and Telford should use the number 70 and 71 services between Cannock and Wolverhampton and the Banga Buses service 891 between Wolverhampton and Telford.
Meanwhile the number 3 serving between Cannock to Brownhills via Heath Hayes and Norton Canes will continue to operate on the current timetable until February 19.
Chaserider said Staffordshire County Council will be funding this service and that a contract tendering process to attract a new operator is in hand.

No wonder Arriva sold its Cannock operations! D&G get the flack for the cuts.... Note driver shortages do not appear to be given as a reason.

markymark2000

On Moderation
I'm not overly surprised that there is low takeup though on the services. They are very unreliable and drivers don't seem the most helpful nor presentable. It looks as if the local cowboy has just taken over. It's a really poor operation. Wrong type buses for each route, lots of missing trips due to lack of buses or staff. The poor passengers, if they thought Arriva was bad, they sure as heck didn't expect Chaserider to be even worse.
If I was D&G or Centrebus, I would be ashamed to say that I own Cannock in its current state.

Speaking to a driver who left, they said the management is awful and it's so bad that drivers are getting to the end of their trip, dumping their bus and then going home. Most are moving to Select and loving it. The driver that I spoke to said that they would be surprised if Chaserider made it past the end of this year given their driver turnover.

RELL6L

From 24 January the D & G 108 is being extended on Saturdays from Leek to Buxton. This replaces the 16 which has been withdrawn over this section on Saturdays (still runs M-F).

G760XRE

67144 has appeared in the yard now at First's Adderley Green depot. This makes 5 now transferred from Sheffield. I thought that all 10 of the E200MMCs at Sheffield were transferring, but on bustimes.org it seems that 67145/6/8/9/50 are still in daily use at Sheffield. Does anyone know if the remaining 5 are still due to transfer to Potteries, or have the plans changed?

I noticed on this week's Notices and Proceedings that D&G routes 40 and 50 in Stoke are being withdrawn from late February. Doesn't seem to be any replacement as far as I can tell so low patronage has presumably killed these off. The 40 was run by Copelands for many years before they dropped it and D&G stepped in. End of an era

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
67144 has appeared in the yard now at First AG. This makes 5 now transferred from Sheffield. I thought that all 10 of the E200MMCs at Sheffield were transferring, but on bustimes it seems that 67145/6/8/9/50 are still in daily use at Sheffield. Does anyone know if the remaining 5 are still due to transfer to Potteries, or have the plans changed?

I noticed on this week's Notices and Proceedings that D&G routes 40 and 50 in Stoke are being withdrawn from late February. Doesn't seem to be any replacement as far as I can tell so low patronage has presumably killed these off. The 40 was run by Copelands for many years before they dropped it and D&G stepped in. End of an era
I would imagine all the E200MMCs will come eventually. Only 3 of the 5 left at Sheffield were showing in service yesterday and 67149 has not tracked since the 6th so maybe the next to transfer.

markymark2000

On Moderation
The 50 I presume is due to it now being a bit useless. Only Fenpark is without a service since the extended 24 now links Longton to Newlands via the 50 route and does so on an improved frequency.

G760XRE

Has anyone seen 63102 in service over the last couple of days? It's showing on bus times as being repainted into the new orange livery, same as 63100/1. If it has, I find this an odd candidate out of the streetlites at Potteries to be repainted, as it was painted into the Midland raspberry front about 3/4 years ago when at Leicester. They've got a dozen or more examples in the old first livery which presumably have never had a repaint. You'd think these would be the ones to focus on repainting into this new livery.

Established Member
Has anyone seen 63102 in service over the last couple of days? It's showing on bus times as being repainted into the new orange livery, same as 63100/1. If it has, I find this an odd candidate out of the streetlites at Potteries to be repainted, as it was painted into the Midland raspberry front about 3/4 years ago when at Leicester. They've got a dozen or more examples in the old first livery which presumably have never had a repaint. You'd think these would be the ones to focus on repainting into this new livery.
Given is did not track between 13/11/21 and 14/01/22 I would imagine it has been painted. 63103 might be in for painting at the moment as it hasn't tracked since Christmas Eve. Maybe they are just working down the fleet in order rather than prioritizing specific vehicles.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It was repainted about 3.5 years ago. If it was repainted 6 months ago, it might be more of a consideration and it looks they're just doing the batch.

G760XRE

The MOT of First Potteries Scania 65733 expires on Monday 14th. I expect this will be it's last week out in service.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Set of 'top secret' timetable changes coming into operation from Sunday 13th. Happened to notice them on the Staffordshire County Council website. No mention on the First Potteries website under 'news' or 'planned changes' or whatever but the new timetables are available under 'forthcoming' on the journey planning pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.