• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staffordshire Bus News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Set of 'top secret' timetable changes coming into operation from Sunday 13th. Happened to notice them on the Staffordshire County Council website. No mention on the First Potteries website under 'news' or 'planned changes' or whatever but the new timetables are available under 'forthcoming' on the journey planning pages.
Now on the planned changes section on the first website.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

G760XRE

The MOT of First Potteries Scania 65733 expires on Monday 14th. I expect this will be it's last week out in service.
Surprisingly this has been MOT'd and is back in service. Honestly didn't expect her to, with sisters 65727/30/31 getting withdrawn on expiry of their MOT at the end of last year.
Guessing they must need running stock to cover the Streetlites away for refurbishment.

Established Member
It is reported on the First WoE thread that all of the Enviro 400's that are at Weston Super Mare are due to be transferred to the Potteries with Gemini's 37156 to 37160 the first to leave for south Wales. Looking at bustimes there are 20 E400's at Western and 21 deckers at the Potteries so maybe a full decker replacement with some new banding for the 25?

G760XRE

I noticed that too. I note that all the E400's mentioned are in their orange 'Excel' livery. Which is rather similar to the livery that the recently refurbished streetlites wear. Looks like the Potteries is being Tango'd...

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I noticed that too. I note that all the E400's mentioned are in their orange 'Excel' livery. Which is rather similar to the livery that the recently refurbished streetlites wear. Looks like the Potteries is being Tango'd...
Not quite all - one is still in urban! Mind you, they are looking a bit scuffed after four years in those colours so imagine another paint job beckons.

Established Member
I would imagine they will be repainted before entering service with 3 being branded for the Kingfisher and 8 to 10 for the 25.

davehsug

I still have to do a bit of a double-take when I see a decker in Stoke. After so many years with none, I'm still not quite used to them!

James101

Changes to D&G Stoke services 24 & 40.

24 will generally terminate at Newstead. 40 extended on each end to Hanley and Newstead.

Up to 3 buses an hour leave Newstead for Hanley on services 24, 40 & 50. Departing at xx:58, xx:58 & xx:00 respectively.

40 & 50 duplicate each other exactly from Newstead to Longton. It makes me wonder why there’s this needless leapfrogging and why there’s no effort to co-ordinate departures off Newstead?

D&G really do not seem to want to help themselves.

G760XRE

Noted today that 67159 is back at Adderley Green depot. This has been off the road since a collision with a car in Stoke around Christmas time. According to Midlandred.net is was repaired at Worcester garage.

Kevpbus

Changes to D&G Stoke services 24 & 40.

24 will generally terminate at Newstead. 40 extended on each end to Hanley and Newstead.

Up to 3 buses an hour leave Newstead for Hanley on services 24, 40 & 50. Departing at xx:58, xx:58 & xx:00 respectively.

40 & 50 duplicate each other exactly from Newstead to Longton. It makes me wonder why there’s this needless leapfrogging and why there’s no effort to co-ordinate departures off Newstead?

D&G really do not seem to want to help themselves.
There appears to be a deregistration for route 50 dated 21 February to take effect from 3 April....

James101

There appears to be a deregistration for route 50 dated 21 February to take effect from 3 April....
Makes sense.

Shame they haven’t updated their website with the 50’s cancellation, just the 40 & 24 changes.

All of the Pool Dole, Saxonfields & Meir Hay area to have no service is a vast urban bus desert.

G760XRE

Ex Bristol E400's have started to arrive at Adderley Green. Seen today parked at the depot were 33547/54/65/66.
Also, has the plan changed regarding the E200MMC's from Sheffield? Originally the whole batch of 10 were to be moved to Potteries but only 5 ended up coming over.

sonic2009

Established Member
Isn't the need for the streetlites on the 3 and 4 services due to a low emission zone on the routes? Must say i've seen a few come into Crewe bus station and they do look smart.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Ex Bristol E400's have started to arrive at Adderley Green. Seen today parked at the depot were 33547/54/65/66.
Also, has the plan changed regarding the E200MMC's from Sheffield? Originally the whole batch of 10 were to be moved to Potteries but only 5 ended up coming over.

bustimes.org has eight listed ex Weston currently.

G760XRE

Isn't the need for the streetlites on the 3 and 4 services due to a low emission zone on the routes? Must say i've seen a few come into Crewe bus station and they do look smart.
The A53 Etruria Road is one of two locations in Stoke/Newcastle-under-Lyme that has unacceptable pollution levels (Services 4/4A goes via here). The local authorities have proposed a package of use of bus gates here, and at the other location on Victoria Road, at peak times. Part of the package also includes upgrades for 75% of the buses using Etruria Rd and 100% of those using Victoria Road. Not sure when these are to go live as there has been talk of moving away from the bus gates and going with Clean Air Zone charging for the 2 locations instead. Either way, First are full steam ahead for refurbishment of Streetlites for the 3/4/4A circuit of routes. Not heard of any upgrades to the 6/6A group of services yet, which is currently using mostly 2005/6 Scanias and 2006 B7RLE's. Ironically these services used to be allocated Streetlites, with the 2014 batch 6317* branded for these services when new. I've attached the North Staffs local air quality plan full document for anyone who may be interested.

bustimes.org has eight listed ex Weston currently.
I had noticed that. I could only see 4 of those listed on bustimes at the depot though.
I also saw in one of the sheds 65031 has been repainted out of Leek Link livery into a orange/blue (I think) colour scheme - where it was made it difficult to see, does anyone know what this new livery is for? And are all the Leek Links being de-branded? That livery hasn't lasted long, but in fairness they're rarely on the 18 service now anyway.

Attachments

• North Staffordshire Local Air Quality Plan - Unapproved OBC May 2020.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Established Member
I had noticed that. I could only see 4 of those listed on bustimes at the depot though.
I also saw in one of the sheds 65031 has been repainted out of Leek Link livery into a orange/blue (I think) colour scheme - where it was made it difficult to see, does anyone know what this new livery is for? And are all the Leek Links being de-branded? That livery hasn't lasted long, but in fairness they're rarely on the 18 service now anyway.
Maybe a new livery for vehicles that are not route branded?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
The A53 Etruria Road is one of two locations in Stoke/Newcastle-under-Lyme that has unacceptable pollution levels (Services 4/4A goes via here). The local authorities have proposed a package of use of bus gates here, and at the other location on Victoria Road, at peak times. Part of the package also includes upgrades for 75% of the buses using Etruria Rd and 100% of those using Victoria Road. Not sure when these are to go live as there has been talk of moving away from the bus gates and going with Clean Air Zone charging for the 2 locations instead. Either way, First are full steam ahead for refurbishment of Streetlites for the 3/4/4A circuit of routes. Not heard of any upgrades to the 6/6A group of services yet, which is currently using mostly 2005/6 Scanias and 2006 B7RLE's. Ironically these services used to be allocated Streetlites, with the 2014 batch 6317* branded for these services when new. I've attached the North Staffs local air quality plan full document for anyone who may be interested.

Adderley Green are generally incapable of allocating liveried buses to the correct route. Sometimes the diagrams take them off route part way through the day, other times the buses interwork (18/101) even though there is no real need to do so and no buses are saved by doing so. Other times it's just 'whatever, wherever'. Seems pointless having a 'Hi, I'm your spare bus livery' if anything goes anyway. But that has been the case since the launch of the overground 20 years ago!

If Stoke-on-Trent City Council knew what it was doing, I would have severe indigestion through the number of hats I had been made to eat alongside multiple generous portions of humble pie. Mr Jellyman and his illustrious leader do like a good photo opportunity though, the more the better. I think next week it will be the turn of the Hanley-Bentilee Link Road (it's not called that any more, not sexy enough), been talked about for the 30 plus years I've lived in Stoke. The only progress to date being the demolition of all the properties to create another litter strewn patch of grass for dogs to use as a toilet.

I look forward to my next trip to Hanley to view the Joiners Square 'oblongabout', I hope I can get there before they rip it out to replace it with something else.

Callum15632

Bad luck with 33565 as that is the slowest of the batch as that is quite slow on hills.

Volvodart

Established Member
The other 5 are now coming from Portsmouth once the new Streetlites there are in service.

G760XRE

First Streetlite 63175 is the latest to be returned in the 3 tone orange livery. First of the batch of 9 new to Potteries to receive it.
65031 has emerged from the shed in its new orange front/dark blue rear livery. No vinyls applied as yet to indicate if this is to form a new 'standard' Potteries livery or if this is a branding for a specific route

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
First Potteries service 5 (City Centre - Abbey Hulton) to be withdrawn 24 April. As yet unspecified D & G replacement.
Scraggs service 44 (City Centre - Stanley) to be withdrawn 25 April.

Redmike

First Potteries service 5 (City Centre - Abbey Hulton) to be withdrawn 24 April. As yet unspecified D & G replacement.
That seems odd to just withdraw it. The normal pattern is to reduce the frequency like most of their other routes.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
That seems odd to just withdraw it. The normal pattern is to reduce the frequency like most of their other routes.
Currently running at 15 minutes frequency so yes, a reduction to 20 minutes then 30 minutes would be First's usual tactic, offering a progressively poorer service before they kill the route completely. I suspect the announcement on their website has been rushed as news was leaked via the comments section of the local 'newspaper' today. They normally only give a few days notice of changes, especially detrimental ones.

The online bus registration search gives an amendment rather than a cancellation:
  • Date received 18 Mar 2022
  • Effective date 24 Apr 2022
  • End date 31 Dec 2022
As does N & P
PD0000003/13 FIRST POTTERIES LTD, FIRST LEICESTER, ABBEY LANE,
LEICESTER, LE4 0DA
Operating between Hanley, Bus Station and Abbey Hulton given service number 5
effective from 24 April 2022. To amend Timetable.

Whereas the First Potteries website gives us:
From 24 April we will no longer be operating route 5.
D&G buses will be operating an alternative service and details will be available on their website >> in due course.

And a new registration from D & G
  • Registration number PD1128125/142
  • Date received 29 Mar 2022
  • Effective date 25 Apr 2022

Last edited:

davehsug

How can this be possible? It's a busy route to one of the city's largest estates, with no alternative save a 30 minute daytime service (D&G 43) that skirts the edge. Scraggs run pretty much when they feel like it, and there are large gaps morning & afternoon whilst their buses go off to do schools work. It was shocking enough to have no buses in the evening, but for First to withdraw completely is amazing. What happened to this improved bus servie that the city was supposed to be getting?
I suppose it will add to the hundreds of private hire vehicles that seem to be every 3rd car on the roads!

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
How can this be possible? It's a busy route to one of the city's largest estates, with no alternative save a 30 minute daytime service (D&G 43) that skirts the edge. Scraggs run pretty much when they feel like it, and there are large gaps morning & afternoon whilst their buses go off to do schools work. It was shocking enough to have no buses in the evening, but for First to withdraw completely is amazing. What happened to this improved bus servie that the city was supposed to be getting?
I suppose it will add to the hundreds of private hire vehicles that seem to be every 3rd car on the roads!
I have a theory totally unsupported by any evidence:
First registered a reduction in frequency, effective 24th April.
D & G spotted an opportunity and registered a service - of unknown frequency - it could be a similar replacement as per 32X or competitive.
First walk away and withdraw their whole service.
D & G are now in the process of revising their new registered service in the light of First's action.

We will have to wait and see what D & G now come up with. In the past their replacements have generally been of lower quality, such as the 32X offering an hourly service but with shorter hours of operation and omitting Kingsley entirely. Similarly in the Saxonfields / Meir Hay / Park Hall areas the replacement was at a lower frequency than the withdrawn First service and they no longer run. Someone in D & G seems to think a 30 minute frequency is attractive. Time will tell.

A special history section.
1961 Official PMT Timetable:
PMT and Beckett operate a joint service to Abbey Hulton.
Every 12 minutes via Eaves lane, every 6 minutes at peak hours, AND;
The same via Newhouse Road.
So a bus Hanley - Abbots Square every 6 minutes off-peak, every 3 minutes peak.

Simon75

On Moderation
There also been rumour (via the 'local paper' comments', of a possible strike buy First drivers, over pay.
Nothing I've heard to confirm this

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
There also been rumour (via the 'local paper' comments', of a possible strike buy First drivers, over pay.
Nothing I've heard to confirm this
The below-the-line comment seems to suggest that there had been a union meeting attended by 50 drivers.

Established Member
Does seem a bit odd when you look at the registration on Bustimes as there is two entries for the 24th April. One has withdrawn and another has a comment of 'Service temporarily suspended'.

Also appeared on the fleet list on Bustimes are First Solent Eclipse branded E200 MMC's 67173 and 67174.

Status
Not open for further replies.