• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Banbury depot Centenary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class43165

Hi all,
October 13th marks 100 years since Midland Red opened their depot at Banbury. The plans are:
A variety of vehicles, including two BMMO S22s, Statford Blue Routemaster, possibly a BMMO D9.
Enviro 200MMC 37401 has been repainted into Midland Red livery.
A new Stagecoach Witney Enviro 400MMC will run a shuttle service from Banbury Market Place (Cornhill) to Banbury Depot.
Route B6 (Banbury Town Centre to Gateway Retail Park) will run be run on a heritage bus.
I will post more information as I find out.
Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class43165

UPDATE: As the depot will now NOT be open, there are plans to operate the former 480 route from Banbury to Sibford. This is to inform visitors of the 'Bus Wars' that took place in 1987 between Midland Red and Tanners International in Banbury. The route will operate via Broughton Castle and the old Tanners Garage in Sibford. We are hoping to have a Bedford OB in Tanners livery at the event.

Last edited:

Class43165

UPDATE: The Midland Red E200MMC, 37401, has been entered to attend Showbus this year. Leaflets will be available to pick up off the bus during the day.
Also, if you have any photos, timetables or any memorabilia to do with Banbury buses, find out here how to send them: stge.co/Kcdk50vCZbu

Peter C

Established Member
I assume this is the depot near the railway? If so, wow! I never knew it had been open for 100 years.
Sorry to be annoying, but is there a reason for the depot not being open during the day? I assume it's due to Stagecoach using it.

Thanks,

-Peter

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I assume this is the depot near the railway? If so, wow! I never knew it had been open for 100 years.
Sorry to be annoying, but is there a reason for the depot not being open during the day? I assume it's due to Stagecoach using it.

Thanks,

-Peter

The depot is on Canal Street, literally a few minutes walk from the station on the other side of the canal.

The depot dates from the 1930s (I think) but replaced the building next door. Think that’s been mentioned by someone else on this forum before.

Peter C

Established Member
The depot is on Canal Street, literally a few minutes walk from the station on the other side of the canal.

The depot dates from the 1930s (I think) but replaced the building next door. Think that’s been mentioned by someone else on this forum before.
OK - thanks. I have been past it many times and I only ever knew it as "the depot by the railway"! :)

Interesting. I always assumed it was a modern building.

-Peter

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
OK - thanks. I have been past it many times and I only ever knew it as "the depot by the railway"! :)

Interesting. I always assumed it was a modern building.

-Peter

It's a bit of an oddity in that BMMO had two distinct phases of depot building with common designs (same architects?) for pre-war and post-war designs.

For a pre-war example, you have Tamworth still in use. Other examples included Shrewsbury, Kidderminster, Sutton Coldfield, among others.
For post-war, you have Wigston, Rugby and Nuneaton still going. Others included Wolverhampton, Malvern, Stafford - again, there are others incl some that are still standing .

However, there were a number of others that had other origins and designs that weren't to either of the designs, like Swadlincote or Hereford. Think Banbury fits into that category but what the history is, I'm not certain.

Peter C

Established Member
It's a bit of an oddity in that BMMO had two distinct phases of depot building with common designs (same architects?) for pre-war and post-war designs.

For a pre-war example, you have Tamworth still in use. Other examples included Shrewsbury, Kidderminster, Sutton Coldfield, among others.
For post-war, you have Wigston, Rugby and Nuneaton still going. Others included Wolverhampton, Malvern, Stafford - again, there are others incl some that are still standing .

However, there were a number of others that had other origins and designs that weren't to either of the designs, like Swadlincote or Hereford. Think Banbury fits into that category but what the history is, I'm not certain.
Interesting - thanks. I am very much a railway enthusiast rather than a bus enthusiast, but I still find Banbury depot interesting because I pass it every time I go to the station! :)

-Peter

Class43165

Thanks,

-Peter
Hi Peter,
On a Sunday, five buses are out in service and the rest in. We were going to get a new bus from Witney to take through the wash and round the depot and out. This is not happening as some paint is peeling on the walls (which I am told it was been like for 30 years) and would look 'unpresentable'

Peter C

Established Member
Hi Peter,
On a Sunday, five buses are out in service and the rest in. We were going to get a new bus from Witney to take through the wash and round the depot and out. This is not happening as some paint is peeling on the walls (which I am told it was been like for 30 years) and would look 'unpresentable'
Very interesting - thanks.
I don't have a massive interest in buses, but I would happily stand around and have a look at the goings-on of the day. Surely for the centenary the bus depot can receive a lick of paint!?

-Peter

Class43165

Very interesting - thanks.
I don't have a massive interest in buses, but I would happily stand around and have a look at the goings-on of the day. Surely for the centenary the bus depot can receive a lick of paint!?

-Peter
Thats what I said, there will only ever by one centenary! It would also be a good fundraiser for charity.

Class43165

The original depot (no 1 Canal Street) opened on the 13th of October 1919 and was rented by the BMMO until 1924 when they bought it and the land which the current depot stands on. In 1931 the 1st depot closed and then the 2nd one (the current depot) opened. It was then extended in 1952 to what it is today.

Peter C

Established Member
Thats what I said, there will only ever by one centenary! It would also be a good fundraiser for charity.
Exactly. Having the depot open, even if it is a bit worn in places, would raise loads for charity I'm sure. Heritage railways open their stuff up a lot and they aren't always in the best condition (not to have a go at preservationists).

-Peter

Class43165

Exactly. Having the depot open, even if it is a bit worn in places, would raise loads for charity I'm sure. Heritage railways open their stuff up a lot and they aren't always in the best condition (not to have a go at preservationists).

-Peter
At the end pf the day, it is a working depot as well.

Class43165

Hi all,
The event is just under two weeks away now and here are some of the things happening on the day:
Heritage buses will be running hourly to Deddington and Sibford
Have your name on the destination board of one of the buses
Historic timelines of Banbury buses will be on display on one bus
Buses on display are...
BMMO S22/S23s (both delivered new to Banbury in 1968/9)
BMMO D9 (first double deck bus on the B5 route)
Stagecoach E400 15675 and Routemaster 12565 in Stratford Blue livery
Stagecoach E200MMC 37401 in Midland Red livery
New Stagecoach E400MMC from Witney depot (depending if they are delivered)
Tanners International Bedford OB
2020 Banbury calender's will also be available
All procedes are to go to Katherine House Hospice, a local charity
Thanks

83G/84D

Established Member
Leamington are waiting delivery of their last 2-3 university E400MMC’s this week.

There was no sign of any new buses at Witney or Oxford today when I checked.

Class43165

Leamington are waiting delivery of their last 2-3 university E400MMC’s this week.

There was no sign of any new buses at Witney or Oxford today when I checked.
I knew that the first set were delivered to Leamington last week (thanks for the update though). From what I have heard the first set for Witney is due on the 6th of October. Then drivers need to be trained/destinations added ect. so hopefully we get one!
Thanks

83G/84D

Established Member
When I called in at Leamington on Saturday two or three new E400MMC's were branded and in service on the University services. Most of the others were at the depot gradually being prepped with a small number to be delivered.

I saw all but three of the batch.

Class43165

UPDATE: With a week to go, the current things going on will be:
Event opening at 11:00 by the Banbury Town Mayor and greeting by Stagecoach In Oxfordshire Managing Director
Heritage buses or award winning E200MMC 37401 will be running hourly to Deddington Market Place and Sibford Gower, with 30 minute intervals.
Cake is to be cut at 14:00 by the Stagecoach In Oxfordshire Managing Director and a former Banbury Driver and Controller
At 16:00 the event ends
Also available are:
Have your name on the destination board of one of the buses
Historic timelines of Banbury buses will be on display on one bus
A 4 week megarider Gold ticket up for grabs if you can successfully name the locations in the 'Location, Location, Bus Location' competition
Banbury 100 years Calenders
Limited Edition Banbury Centenary Mugs
Buses on display currently are:
BMMO S22/S23s (both delivered new to Banbury in 1968/9)
BMMO D9 (first double deck bus on the B5 route)
Stagecoach E400 15675 and Routemaster 12565 in Stratford Blue livery
Stagecoach E200MMC 37401 in Midland Red livery
New Stagecoach E400MMC from Witney depot (depending if they are delivered)
Preserved Stagecoach Midland Red Volvo B10M 202
Tanners International Bedford OB
Thanks

Class43165

We have raised £1100 for Katharine House Hospice on Sunday. Thank you to all who came along and supported us!

Status
Not open for further replies.