• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

overthewater

Established Member
32 is the number that has been given in the grant, Do we know how many are going to each of the three depots? The Courier newspaper has said something different but there numbers don't add up either.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I wonder if there’s a way to tackle the Edinburgh services running as full. I saw loads today (not helped by Waverley melting down) leaving hoards behind on Princes Street due to then being full.

I can imagine how frustrating it would be if you were going to Ferrytoll and two buses in a row come past as full.

As someone previously suggested, when driver numbers increase perhaps a Halbeath - Ferrytoll - Edinburgh shuttle could suffice? Leaving space for those who have to travel further afield

roadierway77

I wonder if there’s a way to tackle the Edinburgh services running as full. I saw loads today (not helped by Waverley melting down) leaving hoards behind on Princes Street due to then being full.

I can imagine how frustrating it would be if you were going to Ferrytoll and two buses in a row come past as full.

As someone previously suggested, when driver numbers increase perhaps a Halbeath - Ferrytoll - Edinburgh shuttle could suffice? Leaving space for those who have to travel further afield
It wouldn't make much of a difference but I think the stops in Edinburgh, besides perhaps Barnton Junction, should all be set down only eastbound and pick up only westbound - passengers taking short trips from Princes Street and Queensferry Street up to Craigleith and Blackhall and vice versa take up precious capacity when there are other Lothian services they could take such as the 41 and 43.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It wouldn't make much of a difference but I think the stops in Edinburgh, besides perhaps Barnton Junction, should all be set down only eastbound and pick up only westbound - passengers taking short trips from Princes Street and Queensferry Street up to Craigleith and Blackhall and vice versa take up precious capacity when there are other Lothian services they could take such as the 41 and 43.
This would only really make a difference heading Westbound. Eastbound is probably pointless as you’ll just be throwing away the small amount of business as the people from Fife will already be on.

I’ll happily admit I use the Stagecoach buses on that stretch all the time as they are generally much faster. Similarly I use the other out of town operators for shorter trips in the city centre for the same reason. In fact, it was just yesterday that the driver of a bus I got on (this was a different operator) forgot he wasn’t set down only at that stop and so after a bit of reminding from myself as to which stops he was and wasn’t set down only at, he reluctantly had no choice but to let me on. I was only going the length of Princes Street. Admittedly this was the only bus due anyway and I’m sure many of us saw the weather yesterday morning! In these cases I generally just grab the first thing that turns up that isn’t set down only (if applicable to that stop).

route101

Established Member
This would only really make a difference heading Westbound. Eastbound is probably pointless as you’ll just be throwing away the small amount of business as the people from Fife will already be on.

I’ll happily admit I use the Stagecoach buses on that stretch all the time as they are generally much faster. Similarly I use the other out of town operators for shorter trips in the city centre for the same reason. In fact, it was just yesterday that the driver of a bus I got on (this was a different operator) forgot he wasn’t set down only at that stop and so after a bit of reminding from myself as to which stops he was and wasn’t set down only at, he reluctantly had no choice but to let me on. I was only going the length of Princes Street. Admittedly this was the only bus due anyway and I’m sure many of us saw the weather yesterday morning! In these cases I generally just grab the first thing that turns up that isn’t set down only (if applicable to that stop).
How much was it to go along Princes St?

Fifescottish

Just passed one of Stagecoach Perth's BYD Enviro 200 things in Dunfermline on the 2A to Fife Leisure Park, think it was 29116 (LC71 KWF). Is this a trial in Dunfermline?

roadierway77

Just passed one of Stagecoach Perth's BYD Enviro 200 things in Dunfermline on the 2A to Fife Leisure Park, think it was 29116 (LC71 KWF). Is this a trial in Dunfermline?
Not sure but I do believe St Leonards depot will be receiving electric buses at some point this year so it would be logical to conduct trials at some point. Bustimes.org seems to be a little confused about where it tracked and when, doesn't help that Dunfermline and Perth have routes of the same number, but it seems to have been down in Dunfermline for the afternoon

29116 is still doing trials in Dunfermline, managed to catch it this morning. Nice smooth, quiet ride. Here it is at Duloch Tesco, waiting for the next service 3 departure to the city centre. Photo taken by me a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• 20230112_082024.jpg
    20230112_082024.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I’m wondering if somebody might be able to shed some light on what’s happened/happening to 54358? It hasn’t been in service for almost a year now. It had been stated elsewhere that it was out of reserve and back in use at Glenrothes, which obviously hasn’t happened.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I’m wondering if somebody might be able to shed some light on what’s happened/happening to 54358? It hasn’t been in service for almost a year now. It had been stated elsewhere that it was out of reserve and back in use at Glenrothes, which obviously hasn’t happened.
It was involved in a fairly nasty (fatal) accident west of Dunfermline back in March 2022

BobbyBKinross

Would presume that it's being used for parts. Although it is strange that a relatively new bus hasn't seen service for almost a year.

scosutsut

Would presume that it's being used for parts. Although it is strange that a relatively new bus hasn't seen service for almost a year.
If it's a major repair requiring parts from either of the manufacturers, it is completely normal for it to take literally years to repair and restore vehicles to service.

I'll caveat that with I don't know what level of damage 54358 sustained, or whether it will be repaired. Just if it was, it would be completely normal for it to take yonks.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
And is still impounded by the police/DVSA, presumably awaiting the outcome of legal proceedings.
Wow, to be impounded for nearly 11 months seems like quite some time. I’m not familiar with these sorts of legal procedures with accidents but that does seem like a good while? Understandably if it’s a fatal accident it was involved in, you would naturally expect a process to be longer (and in many cases) more complex.

overthewater

Established Member
Is there any plans for new coaches? Even if they got some new coaches it would be impossible to expand, which needs to happen at some point.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Some new stuff is either needed or a serious interior upgrade for the older stock. Seats in particular are very much showing their age and just general wear and tear. I should imagine that many of them have been round the clock at least once now as well and must mechanically be worn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do the Edinburgh Expresses run full during the day?
I feel like during the peak and in a railway strike days a lot of the routes could benefit from Panoramas but if the demand isn't there off-peak then it might not make sense financially.

overthewater

Established Member
Do the Edinburgh Expresses run full during the day?
I feel like during the peak and in a railway strike days a lot of the routes could benefit from Panoramas but if the demand isn't there off-peak then it might not make sense financially.

Yes, many do operate full during the day; you can get a shock at how busy it can be. Even today, which is nothing special, two deckers are on the X55 and one on the X54.

The Glasgow expresses are running full nearly all the time, and even leave people behind all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMc7

Established Member
Yes, many do operate full during the day; you can get a shock at how busy it can be. Even today, which is nothing special, two deckers are on the X55 and one on the X54.

The Glasgow expresses are running full nearly all the time, and even leave people behind all over the place.
In an ideal world, the X26 will hopefully be back at some point to give Glasgow 3 buses an hour to Fife. The X51 being its old route would make it 4 on top of that but I doubt that'll ever be extended back to here again especially with Citylink starting the 902 to cover that link to Livingston. The X26 coming back would be ideal to be honest.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
In an ideal world, the X26 will hopefully be back at some point to give Glasgow 3 buses an hour to Fife. The X51 being its old route would make it 4 on top of that but I doubt that'll ever be extended back to here again especially with Citylink starting the 902 to cover that link to Livingston. The X26 coming back would be ideal to be honest.
Would the areas that the X26 served be a viable option? Or would they not be best increasing the X24 and X27?

I can’t quite remember the differences between all three to be fair.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Would the areas that the X26 served be a viable option? Or would they not be best increasing the X24 and X27?

I can’t quite remember the differences between all three to be fair.
The X26 was Dundee to Glasgow via Glenrothes, Halbeath P&R, Dunfermline and Kincardine. The X24, X26 and 2 X27s combined offered a 15 minute frequency to Glasgow from Halbeath/Dunfermline/Kincardine, and the X24/X26 combined offered a half-hourly service from Glenrothes

roadierway77

The entire express network needs an increase in frequency - ideally for the Glasgow services bring back the pre-Covid set up and have the X26 return and the X27 doubled; if not at least run each once an hour at twenty minute intervals from each other, providing a 20 minute frequency between Glasgow and Halbeath.

On the Edinburgh side, the X55 could definitely benefit from returning to a 20 minute frequency. I suggested this further up the thread but as the topic's come up again, I think a peak-time express between Edinburgh and Halbeath via Ferrytoll would definitely be of use - by far some of the busiest stops on the Edinburgh express network are Ferrytoll and Halbeath and from my experience it's pretty common to have 10-20 passengers get on/off at the park and rides at peak times. Additional capacity along this corridor will help passengers travelling further afield to actually catch the bus they want to, and give more space for passengers using the other Edinburgh stops, as it's all too common for buses to leave Princes St or Queensferry St completely full, leaving passengers at Craigleith, Blackhall or Barnton stranded (this has happened to me several times!).

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
On the Edinburgh side, the X55 could definitely benefit from returning to a 20 minute frequency. I suggested this further up the thread but as the topic's come up again, I think a peak-time express between Edinburgh and Halbeath via Ferrytoll would definitely be of use
Could a daytime running X52 partly help with this? Possibly terminating at Halbeath instead of the Bus Station? Or just run all to the Bus Station to allow for more services there?

I say this as the X52 seems to have very good loadings now and it could be a good way to trial something new? Admittedly only an hourly frequency would probably be justifiable at this stage but could allow for an increase to every 30 minutes? That way the X55 could remain at every 30 minutes as well, while actually offering more services overall?

Perhaps bringing back the short lived X5 and X9 could be an option to one of your suggestions. I can never remember what the exact route of either of these were?

route101

Established Member
The entire express network needs an increase in frequency - ideally for the Glasgow services bring back the pre-Covid set up and have the X26 return and the X27 doubled; if not at least run each once an hour at twenty minute intervals from each other, providing a 20 minute frequency between Glasgow and Halbeath.

On the Edinburgh side, the X55 could definitely benefit from returning to a 20 minute frequency. I suggested this further up the thread but as the topic's come up again, I think a peak-time express between Edinburgh and Halbeath via Ferrytoll would definitely be of use - by far some of the busiest stops on the Edinburgh express network are Ferrytoll and Halbeath and from my experience it's pretty common to have 10-20 passengers get on/off at the park and rides at peak times. Additional capacity along this corridor will help passengers travelling further afield to actually catch the bus they want to, and give more space for passengers using the other Edinburgh stops, as it's all too common for buses to leave Princes St or Queensferry St completely full, leaving passengers at Craigleith, Blackhall or Barnton stranded (this has happened to me several times!).
Every 20 minutes, I reckon that was the old frequency. I would have the X26 back running from Glasgow to Leven at least.

Fifescottish

Could a daytime running X52 partly help with this? Possibly terminating at Halbeath instead of the Bus Station? Or just run all to the Bus Station to allow for more services there?

I say this as the X52 seems to have very good loadings now and it could be a good way to trial something new? Admittedly only an hourly frequency would probably be justifiable at this stage but could allow for an increase to every 30 minutes? That way the X55 could remain at every 30 minutes as well, while actually offering more services overall?

Perhaps bringing back the short lived X5 and X9 could be an option to one of your suggestions. I can never remember what the exact route of either of these were?

Daytime X52 would be good. A lot of houses on the east side of Dunfermline that have no service to Edinburgh out with the peak times.

Would only need to run from Edinburgh bus station off peak. Question is, are there enough drivers and coaches?

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Daytime X52 would be good. A lot of houses on the east side of Dunfermline that have no service to Edinburgh out with the peak times.

Would only need to run from Edinburgh bus station off peak. Question is, are there enough drivers and coaches?
Coaches I’d say just about. The X61 could revert back to standard coaches again to free up LE’s for this X52. If it’s hourly the three from the X61 is plenty.

Drivers, well that’s probably another question altogether.

Considering that they cannot fulfill the current requirement of coaches I'd say "no". What needs to change to enable them to do that, I do not know.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Stagecoach need to massively improve on maintenance more than anything to be honest. Their Twitter is just loads of tweets about breakdowns or "technical faults" and that's just the ones that make it to social media. Out of the companies I've used, it's by far the worst out of them all.

Volvodart

Established Member
Previously Highland and Bluebird got the old coaches and it was them that had to deal with these problems.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Previously Highland and Bluebird got the old coaches and it was them that had to deal with these problems.
And instead now everywhere has old coaches. Although the Arbroath X7 Interdecks are notably poor these days.

Scotland as a whole is in dire need of a large coach order.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Considering that they cannot fulfill the current requirement of coaches I'd say "no". What needs to change to enable them to do that, I do not know.
If Stagecoach South West’s Falcon goes in the next while; which could happen given the silly and in my view deliberate changes planned to it, then that’s a huge chunk of coaches available.