• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robertclark125

Established Member
Ex Lothian Volvo Olympian 16894, which was with Rennies (whose livery it still carries) has now been sold. This is the unique M11 engined example, and also the last of the five ex Lothian Olympians Stagecoach Fife bought in 2007.

robertclark125

Established Member
Slightly out of place, but for the first time in many years, Moffat and Williamson offered no xmas shopping coach trips. No idea why not. Rennies offered them as usual.

Also, notice on a fleetcard, st Andrews depot has a PVR of 7 double deckers, and just 7 allocated. No spare. Bit of a risk in case something goes wrong. What does everyone think?

robertclark125

Established Member
wrisky. How many of those are for schools?

Pretty much all of them. One works the sole st Andrews duty on route 64, which also covers a schools journey. 4 work route 696 from Tayport to Madras College (the high school in St Andrews), one works the 94M from Balmullo to St Andrews Madras, and one works in from Crail and Kinsbarns to st Andrews.

So all of them really.

mbonwick

Established Member
Think they have a few that are 'in transit' though - ie. shown in reserve after moving from another depot, but actually in service.

robertclark125

Established Member
On the dundee area bus forum, where I also posted this, a member there has explained that in the event of a double deck being down, a PS would cover a decker duty, probably the 94M working. Engineering is administered from Aberhill, and it's common for Aberhill deckers to end up at St. Andrews as cover.

robertclark125

Established Member
It's not often that a vehicle owned by one of the big five is sold to anotehr subsidiary of the big five, but Rennies ex MOD Dennis Javelin/Wadham Stringer M933 ROS (BHZ 9549 CX 47 AA) has been sold to Go South Coast, part of the Go Ahead group. The vehicle carries fleetnumber 7383 at its new owner.

Jamester

oh dear, more Pander tourism! Good on them for doing it though. I assume coaches wil be used and pax for destinations other than the zoo can travel?

Any passengers can use the service, not just those wanting to see the pandas! Although it will be a longer journey for those wanting Edinburgh City Centre. Not sure if it's just the stops listed on the timetable or if there will be more.

Also, meant to post this much earlier but the Aberhill vehicle involved in the tragic accident last month is 19662. A 60 plate Enviro 400. It has served less than a year in service.

robertclark125

Established Member
Latest fleetcard shows 19662 still allocated to Aberhill, and not out of service, so damage must've been minor.

Meanwhile, 22276 has been at Aberhill for reapirs. This St. Andrews allocated MAN 18220has minor damage to the offside of the rear bumper.

Look out in future for some Moffat and Williamson vehicles visiting Stagecoach Fife depots; no, Stagecoach haven't bought them, but the vehicles are going there for MOT prep.

Jamester

I'm not sure of the extent of the damage to 19662 but I doubt that it is minor considering it was involved in a fatal collision. Stagecoach rarely write off vehicles and I assume that the bus is at Newburgh undergoing repair.

St.Andrews & Aberhill appear to have swapped 22277 and 20339. Not sure why and I assume that it's temporary.

17293 looks near ready for service. Not sure where it is bound yet.

robertclark125

Established Member
Some of the 2005 batch of MAN 18.220s, allocated to Glenrothes, have received new style route branding, promoting links to the Victoria Hospital. A couple of duties are allocated for double deckers, but no double deckers are due to receive route branding.

robertclark125

Established Member
It was confirmed to me via Twitter by East scotland that 7 or 8 new single deckers are due at St. Andrews deopt in 2012, for use on the 99 group of services. There's no word on what vehicles will be ousted from st. Andrews by these new arrivals. However, it's likely that some of the 2006 batch (which totalled 8) of MAN 18.220s will be moved from St. Andrews.

It's also possible that the sole remaining Volvo B10M-55 at the depot, as well as the two plaxton bodied B10M-62 coaches (the latter vehicles being used on route 23) could go.

Also, the latest East Scotland fleetcard is attached. Thanks to Michael Bonwick and his website for supplying it.

Attachments

• Stagecoach East Scotland P11.xls
    142 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

mbonwick

Established Member
Actual number is 11, so I would think they'll replace all the MANs and the B10M and take a reduction in spares (on the basis the Scanias can't be as woeful as the MANs).

It would be nice of you to credit that the fleetcard came via my site....

robertclark125

Established Member
Of course Michael, apologies, will be done right now.

Some new coaches are also due at East Scotland for routes to Glasgow. What coaches and what routes has been a matter of debate on the dundee area bus forum. The main issue is that the Bawbee Bridge, linking Aberhill with leven, has a weight restriction, preventing tri axle lorries from crossing. It's believed it also prevents tri axle coaches, as artics are already banned.

So, in this instance, I'm making no predictions; I'll have to see it to believe it!

robertclark125

Established Member
Tri axle coaches are not banned from the bridge.

Thanks Michael, that settles the arguement or discussion (whichever way you look at it) going on in the Dundee Area bus forum atm. Artics I know are banned; this led to the situation, for a while, wherby the Aberhill to Glasgow section of the X26 would be worked by an Artic, but the route north of the depot worked by a double decker, passengers changing buses in the depot.

While we're on this subject, would one of the new tri axle coaches not weigh the same as a long wheelbase double decker? If deckers aren't banned, why should tri axle coaches be so?

mbonwick

Established Member
No, an LWB decker and tri-axle coach will not weigh the same. As I recall, the unladen weight for an Olympian is around the 11t mark, whereas for a B12BT/Plaxton Elite it's 16.28t. (I can't imagine there's much difference between that and a B13R).

A quick google puts the ULW of a B10MA at around 16-17 tonnes, so theoretically if artics are banned, tri-axles should be as well.
However, maximum axle loading for the B12BT/Elite is limited to 12t on the drive axle, and 7.5t each on the tag/steering axles, which I suspect is lower than for an artic.

I therefore guess that axle loading is more of a problem than all-up weight on the bridge.

EDIT: Just looked it up on google streetview and the restriction is 18T MGW, and I can't see the X59 loading 2t of passengers/luggage so it should be fine.

Last edited: