• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

robertclark125

Established Member
As if the North west isnt enough, what about fleet changes at Staegcoach East Scotland, comprising the Fife, Strathtay, and Perth operations?

Already, 3 Dennis Tridents have been transfered up to Fife from Oxford. These will be allocated to St Andrews (2) and Aberhill (1), for use on the 95 (Leven - Anstruther - St. Andrews) service. One was displayed yesterday at the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum open weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robertclark125

Established Member
New Enviro 400 double deckers are entering service in Fife. Fleetnumbers are 19541-58, making a totla order for 18, and it means every depot in Fife, and indeed East Scotland, now has low floor double deckers.

As regards Fife, there will be a cascading of Volvo Olympians to Rennies, and I would therefore imagine that this will spell the end for the ex Lothian Volvo Olympians, L960/1/3-5 WSC, in that fleet.

mbonwick

Established Member
I have a feeling that the L reg Volvo Olympians are moving elsewhere in Scotland - I seem to recall West Scotland were after deckers to repalce the K --- ASC Leylands.

robertclark125

Established Member
Incidentally, the K - ASC Olympians were actually new to Fife in 1992. So we would have, if the L -WSC batch moves, ex Fife vehicles replacing ex Fife vehicles. And in case you haven't seen them, the ex Lothian Olympians retain the dual doors, which are still operational.

driver9000

Established Member
They have to be kept operational as they are classed as emergency exits. If they were boarded over or barred as EM Horsburgh has done they would be counted as being removed

robertclark125

Established Member
Glenrothes town route G6 has been converted from Optare Solo operation to Dennis Dart SLF operation, due to increased demand. I've seen an Olympian on this route at times, quite a tight fit!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Oddity today, but an X4 duty was being worked by a Volvo Olympian, not the normal Solo or Dart SLF.
Coming back on the train today from Edinburgh, as it passed Ferrytoll, I saw a route 19 branded MAN 18.240, of Dunfermline depot, working a 747 airlink service! This shows the snags of route branding.
With the recent fleet changes in Fife, especially the transfer of Dennis Dart SLF's up from Stagecoach North west, there are now just four step entrance Dennis Darts at Fife, and just 3 Volvo B6LE's. Leyland Olympians 14702-7, which were at Rennies (except 14707), ahve been sold for scrap.

mbonwick

Established Member
I didn't realise East Scotland had so few se. Darts & B6s. I think I may have been misled by the amount seen in store.

robertclark125

Established Member
Well, the first SLF darts came in 1999. Some Optare solos replaced Volvo B6's, though recently the trend has been for Dart SLF's to replace solos, as per the 78 and G6

robertclark125

Established Member
Oddity yesterday, a Volvo B7R working the G6 in place of a Dart.

Anyway, the enviro 300s are entering service. Think there's 10 on order. In contrast to the Enviro 400s, these carry fleetnames on the side as well. The Enviro 400s only have them on the front and rear. These should complete the elimination of the Volvo B10M-55 from Cowdenbeath depot, and the recent enviro 400s have also ousted 20307, L307 PSC, new here in 1994, and recently returned after a spell on Merseyside.
A date has been agreed for the transfer of workings from Kelty Coaches, whose owners are retiring, and closing the business. Christmas eve. No vehicles will change hands though.
Seems as though Stagecoach Fife are offering wi-fi on their buses, all of them, not just express buses. I've seen a Volvo Olympian, Enviro 400, and MAN 18.220 with stickers inside saying that wi-fi is available on them

robertclark125

Established Member
Oddly enough, C797 USG, a Volvo Citybus, which was withdrawn in 2005, is still extant and in storage. No idea why. Still in Deep Sea World AOA.

mbonwick

Established Member
Oddly enough, myself and a few other members of the NW discussion were talking about F201/2 FHH and why they are still in store at Manchester [they were new to Stagecoach Cumberland] and we came to the conclusion that they may head north to displace Titans/older Olympians on school work as they are tri-axle.

robertclark125

Established Member
In July 2008, 5 new Optare Solos were delivered to Glenrothes depot. As I write, in December 2009, they still carry no fleetnames. Is this a record for new vehicles for a Stagecoach operation?

mbonwick

Established Member
Perhaps they are not Stagecoach owned and are used on a short-term contract [that Stagecoach keep winning]?

robertclark125

Established Member
They're owned by Stagecoach. They're used along with other vehicles on Kirkcaldy town services, which are commercial, and not tendered!

robertclark125

Established Member
Three of the five ex Lothian Volvo Olympians, which were at Rennies, have been sold to Ensign, who has sold them on to another operator.

Another development, it's not often you can report on an operator REOPENING a depot, but Stagecoach Strathtay has done this. The deopt in question is Forfar, on Prior Road. It replaces the old Meffan premises at Kirremuir, but I can imagine that the Forfar town service will transfer back to Forfar depot soon.

subway156

I have had the pleasure to ride many a bus through Kennoway where my wife was living when we first met. We used to make out one the upper level of those units between Kennoway and Kirkaldy. My step daughter lives in Leven just two blocks from the shore. Been to the Big "E" many times. It's a splendid city. We may retire in Scotland in the not too distant future. What a beautiful land, indeed.

robertclark125

Established Member
All Stagecoach Fife services running today where possible. Routes not running are 20A and 204. Routes 41 and 95 were unable to start until 11:15, the 23 about midday.

Matters not helped by the fact that the Craigrothie road is closed due to roadworks; these having overrun, due to the weather.

Established Member
The only Stagecoach buses around here I pay any attention to are the Omnilinks on the 53, IIRC they're in the 240XX range.

Pay much more attention to Lothian.

robertclark125

Established Member
MAN 22276 has been reinstated, at Aberhill, replacing a Volvo B10M-55. The ex Stagecoach North West Dennis Dart SLF has allowed route G6 to become low floor operated, where possible.

Also of note is that the new double deckers received in September still lack fleetnames.

Established Member
Not Stagecoach, but I've noticed that ECL (who now run the 13, rather than Lothian) have a red and grey, dual door Plaxton Pointer 2 - T13 ECL - which was out today, rather than the usual Plaxton Centros. Not quite sure why it was out though.

robertclark125

Established Member
Noted today on Glenrothes town service G6 a Volvo Olympian, in place of the usual Dennis Dart SLF. Numerically the last Volvo B6 delivered to Stagecoach Fife, M673 SSX, has now left the fleet. It had been stored at Cowdenbeath since 2007.

robertclark125

Established Member
Operation of route X1, Kirkcaldy - Glenrothes - Leslie, is now done by two Enviro 300s and either an enviro 400 or a Trident, the enviro 300s replacing the MAN 18.220s used before. MANs 22266-8 are in reserve. 22268 was demonstrated to Dublin Bus in 1999.

robertclark125

Established Member
22262, which was in Kingdom FM advertising livery, and latterly stored but licensed, has been repainted into fleet livery, and reallocated to Cowdenbeath, replacing 20314, which has been sold.

KendalKing

Established Member
Just found this elsewhere on the net, i'm surprise that RobertClark125 had not said anything about it.

Police are investigating after thieves stole £20,000 in cash from a Stagecoach bus depot in Fife.

The raiders broke into the depot in Flemington Road, Glenrothes, some time between 1am and 4.30am on Monday. (8th February)

They made off with the huge cash sum - some in notes but a substantial amount in coins.

Police say they would have required a wheelbarrow to cart away the "substantial weight" of the coins stolen.

Detective Inspector Duncan, of Fife Constabulary in Glenrothes, urged anyone with information to come forward.

He said: "The persons responsible are suspected to have crossed the A92 near to Preston Roundabout, where there may have been a vehicle parked nearby.

"The substantial weight of the coinage would suggest that those responsible used a wheelbarrow or similar to convey the monies away from the premises.

"I urge members of the public to report any sightings of persons in the area of Preston roundabout during the relevant times or sightings of any vehicles in the area, before and after the break-in, that appeared to be suspicious to contact the police on 0845 600 5702 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111."

robertclark125

Established Member
Observations today. An olympian covering for a B7R coach on the X59, and also 22266 was trundling around, being driven by a mechanic. It's currently in reserve, but is up for a possible transfer to Northwest, to compete with Preston Bus when that concern is sold.

robertclark125

Established Member
22371 has been repainted. Saw it yesterday returning to Glenrothes depot with a fitter driving, ad then saw it again last night on the 32. It has lost its "Make the Connection" and Kirkcaldy - Glenrothes branding.
Saw 22371 again today. The repaint has left its red areas looking more orangey.

robertclark125

Established Member
Noted yesterday, 33433 working a duplicate 19 in Lochgelly. Also noted today, some workings on Glenrothes town service 39B are being low floor worked, using Tridents.

robertclark125

Established Member
22374 and 22375 have both lost make the connection branding on repaint. Timetalbe for the 37 39 and X1 no longer feature it either, so presumably it won't be reapplied to buses.
numerically the first MAN 18.220 for Stagecoach Fife, 22252, has been transfered back from North West to Fife, and is at St Andrews depot. Saw it today on the 96 at Ninewells Hospital.