• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
No, it does the same school diagram every day with the same driver to save type-training on the non-standard type.

Yes, what a waste of a 3 year old bus.

That can't be right surely. Perth had at least a couple of Hybrid E400s on service runs when they weren't being used for the Solheim Cup shuttles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
That can't be right surely. Perth had at least a couple of Hybrid E400s on service runs when they weren't being used for the Solheim Cup shuttles.
Literally just passing on what the MD said on a Facebook group a month or two ago!

But yes, 13053 I think ended up on the 15 a few times last September.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Where are all the Astro going to? is it megabus work?
The diverted Oxford Tubes are meant to be for the M9 with the Astros going to Perth to displace the Panthers, so yes they'll be on Citylink work (Not Megabus as they don't operate any routes wholly within Scotland).

cnjb8

Established Member
The diverted Oxford Tubes are meant to be for the M9 with the Astros going to Perth to displace the Panthers, so yes they'll be on Citylink work (Not Megabus as they don't operate any routes wholly within Scotland).
Will Perth also get the current Oxford Tube Astromegas too?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Would mean the M9 could be all decker coaches!

Would mean the M9 could be all decker coaches!
Pre-Covid the long term goal was that all the Gold and Saltire services (M8/M9/G9/G10/M90/G90/M92/G92) would be decker operated eventually. Hence Perth getting the Astromega's as they run the M8 along with some duties on other services.

Not fully confirmed yet but i believe the Astromega's due for Perth may be getting the Citylink livery too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
26330 (YX69 NUV) has been delivered to Dunfermline depot this morning in full Stagecoach beachball livery, fully kitted out with autonomous driving sensors/cameras.

I'm sure this is one of the batch that was due in January/February this year and that's why they ended up with the Dealer stock ones. I'm sure this batch where for the new route between Fife and Edinburgh on a pilot scheme for the new technology, it's good they're getting the original batch if that's the case as well. Be the first ones with the new Stagecoach interior in Scotland as well apart from the ones that where on loan up from Newcastle at Inverness at the beginning of the year.

Last edited:

cnjb8

Established Member
26330 (YX69 NUV) has been delivered to Dunfermline depot this morning in full Stagecoach beachball livery, fully kitted out with autonomous driving sensors/cameras.

I'm sure this is one of the batch that was due in January/February this year and that's why they ended up with the Dealer stock ones. I'm sure this batch where for the new route between Fife and Edinburgh on a pilot scheme for the new technology, it's good they're getting the original batch if that's the case as well. Be the first ones with the new Stagecoach interior in Scotland as well apart from the ones that where on loan up from Newcastle at Inverness at the beginning of the year.
So have 26326/7/8/9/30 just been at Plaxton in Anston the whole time? That's very strange, especially them beingn only a year old

overthewater

Established Member
The project was delayed in part due to covid however it was also delayed mostly due to the requirements with the Technical aspects of the project. I dare say you would want to make sure it was 100% prefect before hitting the road.. pardon the pun..

Hey everyone, passed Glenrothes Bus Depot Earlier and seen 2 driver trainers ( Single Deckers ) 2 of Rennies Buses ( Volvo B9R and another one aswell ) and a couple of Oxford tubes aswell, does anyone know where they will be going?

overthewater

Established Member
The Rennis coaches have been used on the express network while other coaches are being worked on or repainted.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Hey everyone, passed Glenrothes Bus Depot Earlier and seen 2 driver trainers ( Single Deckers ) 2 of Rennies Buses ( Volvo B9R and another one aswell ) and a couple of Oxford tubes aswell, does anyone know where they will be going?
They are there for storage. Drivers aren't being trained at the moment and there are no hires for Rennies to do. I believe the Oxford Tubes are being used on Megabus duplicates next week... that was the plan anyway.

**New Post**
Arbroath's 27550 has been involved in a thermal incident this afternoon (23/12/2020) whilst operating service 39

Last edited:

Azzy49

Just seen that several former Oxford Tube Astromegas have transferred to Stagecoach Fife to help out with Amazon. This was back in October this year and they haven't been driven since so does anyone know what's going on with those Astromegas?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Just seen that several former Oxford Tube Astromegas have transferred to Stagecoach Fife to help out with Amazon. This was back in October this year and they haven't been driven since so does anyone know what's going on with those Astromegas?
They're in storage at Glenrothes at the moment... I think. The plan keeps changing or them, I think they've been mentioned in the East Scotland thread a few times.

50261-50266 (and a few others, I think) are destined for Perth for Scottish Citylink work - 50265 has been painted already and looks very smart!

Azzy49

They're in storage at Glenrothes at the moment... I think. The plan keeps changing or them, I think they've been mentioned in the East Scotland thread a few times.

50261-50266 (and a few others, I think) are destined for Perth for Scottish Citylink work - 50265 has been painted already and looks very smart!
I shall see to that painting pic now good sir! Thank you

I couldn't find a pic of 50265

Is their any Pic of 50265? I can't find one anywhere

Last edited:

Azzy49

View attachment 88201
Photo courtesy of Jim Little on the North East Scotland Bus Enthusiasts Group on Facebook, and shows one of two Vanhool Astromegas painted in Citylink "6 cities" livery.
Wow that's fantastic! Would loved to have seen a Panther in the Livery.
It's amazing seeing a Citylink Astromega like the one in that pic being operated by Citylink when we are so used to seeing a Megabus Astromega.

I think that Livery suits an Astromega more than it suits a Panorama. Wish they had kept the old Gold Livery. Would hae been nice to see a Panorama in that as I feel the Livery suits the Body shape of a Panorama as this Pic above the Livery suits an Astromega more in my opinion. Also the tri Axle Elites they are getting a few Years old now... maybe it's too soon but with the Panoramas and Astromegas, will they be cascaded elsewhere? Probably not the Highlands as they got the Panthers last year.
Will any Elites be painted into the 6 City Livery. I don't think Parks Of Hamilton will follow onto that.

Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Oh dear, there will be calls from angry Stirling residents!

Wow that's fantastic! Would loved to have seen a Panther in the Livery.
It's amazing seeing a Citylink Astromega like the one in that pic being operated by Citylink when we are so used to seeing a Megabus Astromega.

I think that Livery suits an Astromega more than it suits a Panorama. Wish they had kept the old Gold Livery. Would hae been nice to see a Panorama in that as I feel the Livery suits the Body shape of a Panorama as this Pic above the Livery suits an Astromega more in my opinion. Also the tri Axle Elites they are getting a few Years old now... maybe it's too soon but with the Panoramas and Astromegas, will they be cascaded elsewhere? Probably not the Highlands as they got the Panthers last year.
Will any Elites be painted into the 6 City Livery. I don't think Parks Of Hamilton will follow onto that.
Why would they get rid of the Elites? They are far more reliable than the Van Hools and are over 3 years newer than them.
The Elites at Parks are used on Parks own services so won't be carrying the 6 cities branding.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Why would they get rid of the Elites? They are far more reliable than the Van Hools and are over 3 years newer than them.
The Elites at Parks are used on Parks own services so won't be carrying the 6 cities branding.
Stagecoach East Scotland have 2 Elites on Joint Venture work too - 54362/3.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Thats the Elites I'm talking about. They aren't even 4 years old yet.
Oh right, apologies.

I did hear that they would be departing too - along with 54101 based at Rennies - but there have been so many rumours about the Vanhools and new Panoramas so could well have been codswallop!

Oh right, apologies.

I did hear that they would be departing too - along with 54101 based at Rennies - but there have been so many rumours about the Vanhools and new Panoramas so could well have been codswallop!
54101 is an absolute beast of a bus. Lovely to drive.
The reliability of the Van Hools will be the real problem on Citylink work. The Daf/Paccar engine in them is far to soft for the work that they will be doing. Also the electrics are pretty abysmal.

Azzy49

I was just thinking because with the let's say the transition to Panoramas and Van Hool Astromegas, I thought they'd get rid of the Elites perhaps some of the older Vehicles.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Oh dear, there will be calls from angry Stirling residents!

What do you mean? :)

Presumably that Stirling isn't significant enough to make CityLink's list of "Six Cities" (but does make ScotRail's "Seven Cities")

The way that CityLink has evolved over the years is a good example of how travel in Scotland has changed - back in my day a Glasgow to Aberdeen service would generally stop in central Stirling/ Perth/ Dundee (and some even at Arbroath, Montrose etc) - just like an Edinburgh - Aberdeen service would go into central Dunfermline/ Kinross - but they've slowly given up on such stops, the Aberdeen/ Inverness markets are more important than the cost of running into and out of intermediate places - so now the "local" stuff is in the hands of Stagecoach's separate "express" services. Partly due to the way that the road network has been improved (bypasses, motorways), partly due to the way that the train services have upped their game (from the 1980s onwards, with the start of the ScotRail brand, but various subsequent improvement to speed journeys up, e.g. many Aberdeen services running non stop from Leuchars to Haymarket - I'm old enough to remember some Aberdeen trains stopping at the likes of Kinghorn in the days when BR saved a couple of quid by merging the "local" and "long distance" services at times.

Thirty years ago, Aberdeen/ Inverness were a long way from the Central Belt - single carriageway roads and what not - nowadays, people wouldn't be put off by a day tip to Inverness/ Dingwall for the football

At the same time, places like Stranraer feel comparatively further away (from the Central Belt), given the lack of similar improvements

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Presumably that Stirling isn't significant enough to make CityLink's list of "Six Cities" (but does make ScotRail's "Seven Cities")

The way that CityLink has evolved over the years is a good example of how travel in Scotland has changed - back in my day a Glasgow to Aberdeen service would generally stop in central Stirling/ Perth/ Dundee (and some even at Arbroath, Montrose etc) - just like an Edinburgh - Aberdeen service would go into central Dunfermline/ Kinross - but they've slowly given up on such stops, the Aberdeen/ Inverness markets are more important than the cost of running into and out of intermediate places - so now the "local" stuff is in the hands of Stagecoach's separate "express" services. Partly due to the way that the road network has been improved (bypasses, motorways), partly due to the way that the train services have upped their game (from the 1980s onwards, with the start of the ScotRail brand, but various subsequent improvement to speed journeys up, e.g. many Aberdeen services running non stop from Leuchars to Haymarket - I'm old enough to remember some Aberdeen trains stopping at the likes of Kinghorn in the days when BR saved a couple of quid by merging the "local" and "long distance" services at times.

Thirty years ago, Aberdeen/ Inverness were a long way from the Central Belt - single carriageway roads and what not - nowadays, people wouldn't be put off by a day tip to Inverness/ Dingwall for the football

At the same time, places like Stranraer feel comparatively further away (from the Central Belt), given the lack of similar improvements
That's exactly what I was referring to, and I did somewhat tongue-in-cheek :)

By the way, could I remind everyone that Citylink has its own thread and issues pertaining to those vehicles should be discussed there.

Azzy49

Ah wow that's a fantastic bit of History! I'll keep an eye out on Flickr for any other Vehicles. I know this isn't East Scotland so I apologise but Stagecoach Highlands have a Sole Optare Solo SE for Airport Services believe it or not but will that or any other Airport Vehicles for example the 747 Edinburgh Airport Service be repainted too? Hope to see some branded Vehicles soon enough.