• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach East Scotland

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Three Vanhool Astromegas in Oxford Tube livery - 50267, 50268 and another which I cannot identify - have been delivered to Arbroath depot this morning, presumably for storage and/or repaint.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Azzy49

Three Vanhool Astromegas in Oxford Tube livery - 50267, 50268 and another which I cannot identify - have been delivered to Arbroath depot this morning, presumably for storage and/or repaint.
Is Arbroath only for Repaints? As I remember a few older Stagecoach Vehicles the former 73 East Lancs One got painted into Strathtay Livery. I know some Buses get stored their and as the Depot behind Dundee Bus Station is no longer there do Strathtay Vehicles come from Perth and Arbroath?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Is Arbroath only for Repaints? As I remember a few older Stagecoach Vehicles the former 73 East Lancs One got painted into Strathtay Livery. I know some Buses get stored their and as the Depot behind Dundee Bus Station is no longer there do Strathtay Vehicles come from Perth and Arbroath?
No, Arbroath have lots of service work too. There's lots of space at the back of the depot for storage though, there's some Bluebird stuff there as well as East Scotland stuff.

Azzy49

Ah so a bit of everything, nice!
Parks of Hamilton have taken delivery of former National Express Caetano Levantes to work Scottish Citylink workings. Thesee are to allow them to replace all the remaining Citylink Elites which are 6/7 Years old now. Funny about that timing as we spoke about the Elites not getting replaced. Lastly I don't know if this is to do with the right Thread and apologies if it's not but 2 Panorama Demonstrators are said to be for Citylink Work too.

Last edited:

overthewater

Established Member
I'm hearing there will be changes to the network next week because the lockdown is getting extended.

Last edited by a moderator:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
I'm hearing they will be changes to the network next week because the lockdown is getting extended.
I haven't heard anything myself - I assume this was said on staff intranet or canteen gossip?

Without going off-topic, who said the national restrictions are being extended? :s

overthewater

Established Member
I haven't heard anything myself - I assume this was said on staff intranet or canteen gossip?

Without going off-topic, who said the national restrictions are being extended? :s

Nicola: They were purpose to come off on 18th January, then the end of the month, yet the chances of that happening a slim to none now.

The rules were tighten again today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55646778

ajrm

There is a paint facility at Arbroath. However 710/ 16930 was not painted there; it was done at Aberhill.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Full timetables and changes are now available here: https://www.stagecoachbus.com/servi...ticle?SituationId=ID-13/01/2021-09:15:26:914#

A lot has changed in the last year and our team have worked hard to ensure you get where you need to be but understandably, we're seeing less people using our services during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We've been able to keep a lot of our bus and coach network the same with the help of Government subsidy, but with continued travel restrictions and changing work patterns, we can't continue running our pre-pandemic network in full.

Our local networks have been well used, however our longer distance Express services are only being used by around 30% - 40% of customers compared to previous levels.
So, we're making changes to our Express services from Monday 25th January, along with some minor changes to our local services to allow connections.

Have a look at the list below and view the new timetables to see how your service will change - you may find that you need to change buses at a bus station or park and ride, but the same links between key locations are still available.

You can plan your journey (selecting a date beyond 25th January), using our handy journey planner on the right, or why not check out our handy summary timetables, some of which show the connections you'll need to make to reach your destination - you can find these at the bottom of this update.

Please don’t forget, that right now, your travel should only be for essential purposes.

Service 17: Perth - Auchterarder

Timing point in Kintillo Paradise Avenue removed, no change to route.

Service 36: Glenrothes – Perth

Timing point in Kintillo Paradise Avenue removed, no change to route.

Service 42: Glenrothes – Ladybank – Tayport – Dundee

The journeys between Dundee and Tayport are extended to Glenrothes to replace service X54 between Glenrothes and Cupar, and to provide a link between Cupar and Tayport. The 42 will serve all stops on the route.

Service 42A: St Andrews – Tayport – Dundee

Renumbered from 42 with a revised timetable, to combine with the 42 to offer two buses an hour between Dundee and Tayport.

Service 56: Perth – Bridge of Earn – Milnathort – Kinross – Kelty – Halbeath P&R

AM college journey now operates as an X56. Timing point in Kintillo Paradise Avenue removed, no change to route.

Service 77: Gauldry/Wormit / Newport – Dundee

Minor revision to timetable.

Service 94X: St Andrews – Cupar – Newburgh

0520 Cupar to St Andrews withdrawn and replaced by 0518 X59 Cupar to St Andrews.

Service 95: St Andrews – Crail – Anstruther – St Monans – Leven

Revised PM school journey times to improve reliability.

Service 99/99A/99B/99C/99D: Dundee – Leuchars – Guardbridge – St Andrews

An extra Monday to Friday morning journey will run from St Andrews to Dundee at 0732. An extra late night journey will run from Dundee at 2355. The N99 journeys on Friday and Saturday nights are withdrawn.

Service X4: Leven – Windygates – Markinch – Glenrothes

New service, offering journeys between Glenrothes and Leven, replacing service X61. Connections are available at Glenrothes with the X54/X59 to and from Edinburgh and X24 to Glasgow.

Service X24: St Andrews – Glenrothes – Halbeath P&R – Fife Leisure Park – Dunfermline – Kincardine – Forth Valley Royal Hospital – Cumbernauld – Glasgow

Revised timetable to provide an hourly service from St Andrews to Dunfermline and a combined two buses an hour between Halbeath and Glasgow.

Service X26: Dundee – Glenrothes – Halbeath P&R – Dunfermline – Kincardine – Forth Valley Royal Hospital – Cumbernauld – Glasgow

Withdrawn. Links between service X27 and X59 at Halbeath means that the current half hourly frequency from Cupar/Glenrothes to Glasgow are still available; connections to and from Dundee are available at Glenrothes with the X24 and X54.

Service X27: Kirkcaldy – Victoria Hospital – Halbeath P&R – Dunfermline – Kincardine – Forth Valley Royal Hospital – Cumbernauld – Glasgow

Service X27A: Kirkcaldy – Victoria Hospital – Halbeath P&R – Fife Leisure Park – Queen Margaret Hospital – Dunfermline

Two buses an hour from Kirkcaldy to Dunfermline; X27 direct to Dunfermline then continues into Glasgow; X27A will serve Fife Leisure Park and Queen Margaret Hospital providing an express link between Queen Margaret Hospital and the Victoria Hospital; ideal journeys for key worker travel. Connections to Glasgow are available at Halbeath between the X27A and the X24 to maintain the half hourly Kirkcaldy – Glasgow link.

Service X37: Pitcairn – Collydean – Glenrothes – Kirkcaldy – Fife Retail Park – Chapel

0829 Fair Isle Road to Kirkcaldy bus station journey removed. Sir Thomas Elder Way timing point removed, no change to route.

Service X51: Dunfermline – Rosyth – Ferrytoll P&R – Livingston

Service will no longer run between Livingston and Glasgow, and will run between Dunfermline and Livingston only. Scotrail continue to provide rail links between Livingston and Glasgow and Citylink coach services continue to run between Harthill, Eurocentral and Glasgow.

Service X52: Dunfermline – Rosyth – Ferrytoll – Edinburgh Bristo Square

Service resumed to Bristo Square, offering two AM journeys to Bristo Square and two PM journeys from Bristo Square.

Service X54: Edinburgh – Ferrytoll P&R – Halbeath P&R – Cowdenbeath – Glenrothes – Cupar – Newport – Dundee

Revised to run between Glenrothes and Cupar via Kettlebridge rather than via Ladybank. The service via Ladybank is covered as part of service 42. Replaces the X26 north of Glenrothes to Dundee and the X61 South of Glenrothes to Edinburgh. Connections available in Glenrothes onto the X24 for Glasgow. The section between Dundee city centre and Ninewells Hospital is withdrawn; alternative links to the hospital are available from Dundee city centre on services 16, 39, 73 & X7. Xplore Dundee also operate journeys between the city centre and Ninewells – ABC tickets are available to use on both operator routes.

Service X55: Dunfermline – Rosyth – Ferrytoll – Edinburgh bus station / Bristo Square

Reduced frequency out with commuter times to provide a half hourly service to Edinburgh. Two AM journeys to Bristo Square and three PM journeys from Bristo Square added. Late night Friday and Saturday journeys on service N55, which have been suspended since March, will be withdrawn.

Service X56: Perth – Kinross – Halbeath P&R – Ferrytoll P&R – Edinburgh

The morning 56 College journey now operates as an X56.

Service X57: Kirkcaldy – Kinghorn – Burntisland – Aberdour – Dalgety Bay – Inverkeithing – Ferrytoll P&R – Edinburgh

Service revised to offer two AM commuter journeys to Edinburgh and three PM commuter journeys from Edinburgh Monday – Friday only. Service X58 continues to provide additional journeys between Kirkcaldy, Dalgety Bay and Edinburgh.

Service X58: Kirkcaldy – Dalgety Bay – Inverkeithing – Ferrytoll P&R – Edinburgh

Service revised to operate between Kirkcaldy and Edinburgh only. Kirkcaldy to Dundee via Leven replaced by X61. Combines with the X60 and X61 to offer three buses an hour from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh

Service X59: St Andrews – Glenrothes – Halbeath P&R – Ferrytoll P&R – Edinburgh

Timetable change to coordinate with other Edinburgh express services.

Service X60: St Andrews – Leven – Kirkcaldy – Ferrytoll – Edinburgh

Now hourly between St Andrews and Edinburgh, combines with the X58 and X61 to give three buses an hour from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh. Combines with the X61 to offer two buses an hour from Leven to Edinburgh.

Service X61: Dundee – Leven – Kirkcaldy – Ferrytoll P&R – Edinburgh

The X61 operates via current X60 route (Chapel and Halbeath) providing half hourly links from north Kirkcaldy. Combines with the X58 and X60 to offer three buses an hour from Kirkcaldy to Edinburgh. Combines with the X60 to offer two buses an hour from Leven to Edinburgh. It replaces the X58 from Kirkcaldy to Dundee.

I'm hearing there will be changes to the network next week because the lockdown is getting extended.

The way I read the announcement, this isn't just a reduction in services associated with the present lockdown. It's a permanent network cut.

I don't get the impression they have much intention of bringing buses back any time soon, regardless of the situation with government travel advice. Maybe inevitable, but it's the first time I've seen this type of bleak admission by a large bus company.

Stan Drews

Established Member
The way I read the announcement, this isn't just a reduction in services associated with the present lockdown. It's a permanent network cut.

I don't get the impression they have much intention of bringing buses back any time soon, regardless of the situation with government travel advice. Maybe inevitable, but it's the first time I've seen this type of bleak admission by a large bus company.
Xplore Dundee are about to do the same.

overthewater

Established Member

You can hardly blame them? The peak buses coming out of Edinburgh can be dead.. The people have been told to stay home, Where is the demand for 15min service to Glasgow? Until we get into Tier 2, which I doubt that's going to happened before the summer now, it just carrying fresh air :( The Highland show is suppose to be back this year yet somehow, I doubt it will go ahead, same for the Edinburgh Festival. It could be a whole year before we get back to some normality. Revised network still give decent links to all place, just not over the top freq.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
You can hardly blame them? The peak buses coming out of Edinburgh can be dead.. The people have been told to stay home, Where is the demand for 15min service to Glasgow? Until we get into Tier 2, which I doubt that's going to happened before the summer now, it just carrying fresh air :( The Highland show is suppose to be back this year yet somehow, I doubt it will go ahead, same for the Edinburgh Festival. It could be a whole year before we get back to some normality. Revised network still give decent links to all place, just not over the top freq.
There's a lot of speculation there. I think leisure travel will be back by Summer - especially as the elderly and vulnerable will have been fully immunised by then and they make up a large proportion of the leisure travel market. I reckon we will have a somewhat normal summer with just some limits on mass gatherings - but that's probably a discussion for the covid-19 discussion board.

The network is essentially back to where it was (frequency-wise) before July 2019. There will likely be a long-term shift to work from home for a lot of Edinburgh office commuters which lessens the need for a 4 minute frequency across the Forth at 8am and 5pm!

There's a lot of speculation there. I think leisure travel will be back by Summer - especially as the elderly and vulnerable will have been fully immunised by then and they make up a large proportion of the leisure travel market. I reckon we will have a somewhat normal summer with just some limits on mass gatherings - but that's probably a discussion for the covid-19 discussion board.

The network is essentially back to where it was (frequency-wise) before July 2019. There will likely be a long-term shift to work from home for a lot of Edinburgh office commuters which lessens the need for a 4 minute frequency across the Forth at 8am and 5pm!
I think that's very true. But it seems unlikely we'll see Fife's bus service, or the express network, returning to pre-covid levels even with no covid. As you say, not really a big deal because the proposed service still offers quite good coverage, and I'm sure there will be a few exceptions, like the 747.
However the announcement left me with an impression they were establishing a baseline for some kind of longer term nationalisation. I suppose time will tell.

overthewater

Established Member
I hope your both right for the summer. It should be noted the reason the Express service went up to Every 15mins was because they kept on leaving passengers behide all over the place, so if the demand returns so will the service levels.

Fifescottish

Am I reading it right that Kirkcaldy has 3 buses an hour to Edinburgh and Dunfermline only 2? (albeit there is a good service from the P&R sites).

Good to see the X52 going back to
Edinburgh again.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Am I reading it right that Kirkcaldy has 3 buses an hour to Edinburgh and Dunfermline only 2? (albeit there is a good service from the P&R sites).

Good to see the X52 going back to
Edinburgh again.
Yeah, the X58, X60 and X61 from Kirkcaldy. Both towns (and Glenrothes) have a reduction of 1 bus per hour to Edinburgh, so it's not really too drastic.

Azzy49

If I remember correctly X58 goes from Dundee to Edinburgh via Cupar and Leven or is that X56?. I also found out earlier that part of the X51 service (Glasgow to Dunfermline) is getting withdrawn being the Glasgow to Livingston Sector.

Last edited:

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
If I remember correctly X58 goes from Dundee to Edinburgh via Cupar and Leven or is that X56?. I also found out earlier that part of the X51 service (Glasgow to Dunfermline) is getting withdrawn being the Glasgow to Livingston Sector.

Yikes, Pre-Covid this was normally a very busy service. Used it myself a few times and after stopping at Harthill Services to pick up more passengers there were only a handful of seats left.

Azzy49

Yikes, Pre-Covid this was normally a very busy service. Used it myself a few times and after stopping at Harthill Services to pick up more passengers there were only a handful of seats left.
Wow! Sounds busy indeed. I'm sure it will be busy still with that Sector being Withdrawn. Let's see we have X51, X52 coming again soon, X55, X56, X58 , X60, X61. Have I missed any out? X53 used to be a Route from Dundee as with X54. X8 wasn't much point in that as it went from PRI to Arbroath like X7, X42 is still a thing and I think that is it... I would love to see CitylinkGold returning with a Possible G11 service to London or G909/G900 etc

Found another pic of 50265 and another Astromega. I also found out that Rennies Plaxton Panthers and Plaxton Profiles as of 1st February have been transferred up to Orkney.

Scottish Citylink Astromega 50266 has entered Service on the M8... I saw pics on the North Bus Enthusiast Page on Facebook. The M8 doesn't stop in Perth Broxden unless a Diversion was there.

Apologies about this being in the wrong thread
https://m.facebook.com/100000866690716/posts/pcb.3718914608147455/?photo_id=3901184526587065&mds=%2Fphotos%2Fviewer%2F%3Fphotoset_token%3Dpcb.3718914608147455%26photo%3D3901184526587065%26profileid%3D100047206133430%26source%3D48%26refid%3D18%26_ft_%3Dqid.6925884141989730917%253Amf_story_key.3718914608147455%253Agroup_id.586519484720332%253Atop_level_post_id.3718914608147455%253Atl_objid.3718914608147455%253Acontent_owner_id_new.100000866690716%253Apage_id.586519484720332%253Asrc.22%253Aphoto_attachments_list.[3901184396587078%252C3901184526587065%252C3901184409920410]%253Aphoto_id.3901184396587078%253Astory_location.6%253Astory_attachment_style.album%253Afilter.GroupStoriesByActivityEntQuery%253Atds_flgs.3%253Aott.AX_QWh07awgCPsX6%253Apage_insights.%257B%2522586519484720332%2522%253A%257B%2522page_id%2522%253A586519484720332%252C%2522page_id_type%2522%253A%2522group%2522%252C%2522actor_id%2522%253A100000866690716%252C%2522dm%2522%253A%257B%2522isShare%2522%253A0%252C%2522originalPostOwnerID%2522%253A0%257D%252C%2522psn%2522%253A%2522EntGroupMallPostCreationStory%2522%252C%2522post_context%2522%253A%257B%2522object_fbtype%2522%253A657%252C%2522publish_time%2522%253A1612532679%252C%2522story_name%2522%253A%2522EntGroupMallPostCreationStory%2522%252C%2522story_fbid%2522%253A[3718914608147455]%257D%252C%2522role%2522%253A1%252C%2522sl%2522%253A6%257D%257D%26__tn__%3DEH-R%26cached_data%3Dfalse%26ftid%3D&mdp=1&mdf=1

Last edited:

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
(Originally in the North Scotland thread)
I wonder how many Arbroath Dayrider tickets they sell?
Probably not very many, especially given the town service has been cut to shreds over the past 5 or so years. Although if one is getting the bus into town and back at the moment, the equivalent singles would be £3 or £2.90 return so a £2.70 Dayrider would be the cheapest option.

The Angus town fare (Monifieth, Carnoustie, Arbroath, Montrose, Brechin, Kirriemuir and Forfar) is currently £1.50, and given that all single fares are going to be between £1 and £10 at 50p increments from 7th March, I'd sincerely hope they're not planning on bumping that up to £2 at the same time!

------------------------------------------
For reference, Stagecoach East Scotland are revising their tickets and ticket zones from 7th March. https://www.stagecoachbus.com/servi...rticle?SituationId=ID-03/02/2021-10:38:18:687

Exciting news! We’re simplifying our fares and tickets to make them more consistent and easier to understand. From Sunday 7th March, our new ticket options will be available with many single fares reduced in price and new multi- journey zones and tickets offering more flexible travel options. The changes are also designed to help reduce cash handling, by reducing the need for change, creating more tickets available on the app and keeping prices below the contactless limit on our ticket machines.

Singles

Single tickets will range from £1 to £10 with a 50% discount for children (under 16) and a 25% discount for students. Young Scot card holders can also benefit from 1/3 off single adult fares.

Check the fare for your journey online (you’ll need to plan a journey after 7th March to see the new fares), on average, our single tickets will either reduce in price or stay the same!

Returns

We're removing standard returns from our fares as the best value option is usually one of our DayRider tickets if you're making 2 or more journeys on the same day.

They probably don't sell many Arbroath Dayriders, but they will sell quite a few Dundee+ Dayriders at £5.60 to people travelling from Carnoustie to Dundee. It is being axed altogether, and the replacement Angus Dayrider is a good 90p more (or 16% more) at £6.50.
The current single fare is £3.10, but given that they state that a Dayrider is the best value if you are making two journeys or more, does that imply a 40p increase is coming on that fare? All in all, given that Carnoustie has seen a frequency reduction and the sacking of the conductors, leading to extended journey times even when the buses are virtually empty, it's not likely to win them passengers.
Incidentally, the return train fare from Carnoustie to Dundee is £5.30 off peak...

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
About time they cut up the Tayside Megarider zone and made slightly smaller zone's that are more relevant for quite a lot less.

I emailed them about doing exactly this the last time the fares were getting revised so it's good to it finally happening.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Aberhill depot is to receive 6 new ADL Enviro400 MMCs in the coming weeks, numbered 11560-5 and registered SK21 FJF/J/O/P/U/V. 11560 has already arrived.

Similarly, Perth depot is expecting 10 new Volvo B11RLE Plaxton Panoramas in Citylink livery, two of which (50444 and 50447) arrived at Aberhill depot for pre-service inspection today.

cnjb8

Established Member
Aberhill depot is to receive 6 new ADL Enviro400 MMCs in the coming weeks, numbered 11560-5 and registered SK21 FJF/J/O/P/U/V. 11560 has already arrived.

Similarly, Perth depot is expecting 10 new Volvo B11RLE Plaxton Panoramas in Citylink livery, two of which (50444 and 50447) arrived at Aberhill depot for pre-service inspection today.
The 10 Panoramas are from the Oxford Tube order

PG

Established Member
However the announcement left me with an impression they were establishing a baseline for some kind of longer term nationalisation. I suppose time will tell.
Only just noticed the impression you gained - any thing more than a hunch to the nationalisation idea? I don't recall hearing any rumblings about this emanating from the Scottish government recently...

Only just noticed the impression you gained - any thing more than a hunch to the nationalisation idea? I don't recall hearing any rumblings about this emanating from the Scottish government recently...
No, I have absolutely no insight whatsoever.
But there can't be many commercially viable routes in the country and no bus company can be making a profit to invest back into their network. Many bus routes run with a very small number of passengers, so I just wonder how sustainable the old competitive model can be. Many folk already thought it was out-dated and wasteful in the pre-covid environment.

Azzy49

Just saw on the Facebook link page given on Page 106 that Stagecoach Fife is using a former East Coast Buses Wright Eclipse Gemini. They were due to have another but it went to Moffat and Williamson instead. I'm not sure what routes it will be on.