• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Group (Group-wide matters)

johnnychips

Established Member
Thanks for your replies. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised how high the Educational figures are as I travel through Doncaster Interchange at about 0800 each day and back at about 1645, and at both times it's full of kids going to or coming back from various schools.

EDIT: If you really want me to link it to the thread, all the services are provided by First, having taken over those provided by Bright Bus. Stagecoach haven't tried to get into this market.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
You have to wonder if Stagecoach will just cuts its loses and just leave the island. Its been nothing but trouble..

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/stagecoach-to-pay-more-than-20k-to-orkney-schools/

Not really, 30 license discs is almost exactly those available at the now closed Fort William (think it was 29 there - 27 at the depot and 2 parking sites).
Current fleet size on the Highland Country licence is less than 185 vehicles anyway (though admittedly more vehicles in long-term reserve which may have discs in).

Jordan Adam

Established Member
You have to wonder if Stagecoach will just cuts its loses and just leave the island. Its been nothing but trouble..

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/stagecoach-to-pay-more-than-20k-to-orkney-schools/

It's about bloody time their operating license revoked. The sheer about of serious incidents they have is shocking, something you'd expect from Rotala or a cowboy independent. I feel like it's going to take someone being killed before anything serious is really done.

Dentonian

Established Member
In addition to the decline of passengers travelling to the High Street, online shopping deliveries (and also on-demand minicabs) are causing increasing amounts of traffic congestion, with obvious implications for the reliability and journey times for the bus operators.

On-line shopping is chicken & egg, though. If it becomes more difficult and expensive to get to Supermarkets to buy shopping (including "fresh" food) then it On-line shopping becomes more attractive, safer (and ultimately, cheaper) for non-motorists. Similar argument for on demand minicabs, except of course they operate on the edge of the law and are only a "leap of faith" away from going all out to wipe out the commercial bus industry.

Dentonian

Established Member
So what you're actually saying is that don't know. However, rather than take that as any sort of indication that people don't wish to fund public transport improvements through increased taxation, you choose to ignore that? And you choose to ignore the raft of other polling etc that also supports that. Your evidence for that is what?

I'm not certain what new bus war is being rolled out in the environs of GREATER Manchester. Are South Lancs busy increasing services through Tyldesley? Are First moving into Flixton?

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Changes in the high street and traffic congestion are not just "cut and paste" - they are real. Here's some cut and pasted stuff from those charlatans, the government - they've probably never been to Gorton on a wet Thursday so may dismiss what they say out of hand but here goes:

Shopping trips are crucial for bus companies. More so than other modes viz
  • ALL public transport, 16% of trips are for shopping and 31% are commuting
  • For buses alone, it is 23% for shopping vs 24% for commuting - yes, nearly a quarter of journeys are shopping related and not much different than for commuting - in fact, it's worse than that as London skews the figures as there are more people commuting by bus.
See https://assets.publishing.service.g...ual-bus-statistics-year-ending-march-2017.pdf

However, that's not the worst of it as they highlight "Online shopping: There has been a growth in online shopping in recent years. This may have led to a fall in people using the bus for shopping trips. Data from the NTS (https://assets.publishing.service.g...le/604103/why-people-travel-shopping-2015.pdf) shows that there were 13 shopping trips per person per year on local bus in England in 2016, down from 19 per person per year in 2010."

However, if you're unconvinced by cut and paste evidence, let me assure you that I've had a chat with a number of bus company managers (including some Stagecoach ones that I count among friends - that's when they're not drinking the blood of slaughtered lambs and practising satanic rituals) and they back this up. They have massive issues with the decline of traditional shopping trips so commuting is fine (but drives in a PVR to service) but then they have a bus with concessionary passes (for which the ENCTS remuneration) is paltry.

If you have any actual evidence to back up what you say, away you go!

I'm not going to scroll back through umpteen messages, but I don't recall ever saying I "*did* know. I simply raised the possibility that the vote might have been different had the media not broadcast lies - or indeed, had the TIF provisions been more inclusive in terms of both local geography and modes. As for the "raft of polling", I don't ignore something I'm not aware of! There was only one TIF referendum, btw.

As regards *general* reasons for declines in ridership, I admit I accidentally deleted a paragraph from m y original reply. That para explained that I did not disagree that the decline of the high street was a factor in bus ridership dropping. My point was that the argument was irrelevant in this case because Stagecoach took buses of *heavily* loaded services to source a bus war which included running through congestion hot spots they themselves are forever complaining about and 3+ years on the service introduced is still poorly loaded by all accounts. In other words you can't just "cut & paste" an explanation for cutting poorly used services when applying it to completely different circumstances.

As regards the bus "war", it is about removing resources from Stockport MBC and to a slightly lesser extent Tameside to deploy in Salford (and a few hundred metres in Bolton), so yes, it involves more than just Manchester.

As for Gorton - I'm quite sure the Government haven't ever visited the area on a wet Thursday (or any other day) - but the issue here is that Stagecoach Manchester don't seem to have "visited" it for the last 3 or 4 years either!

83G/84D

Established Member
Courtesy of Steven Knight Media

✤Stagecoach UK Bus
We are pleased to be able to summarise the Stagecoach UK Bus new vehicle order for the company’s 2018/19 financial year.
Stagecoach will be adding 267 new vehicles to its fleet in its' current financial year (2018/19).
161 are for regional operations with an additional ten vehicles for Megabus operations. The remainder will join the London-based fleet.
ADL secures the bulk of the order.
The biggest element of the regional order is for 94 MMC-model Enviro 400s, with 45 being finished to Gold specification. The midibus MMC Enviro 200 fleet will be boosted with one 8.9m model, and 14 10.8m versions. There are also 23 11.8m MMC Enviro 200 single decks in the order.
In a first for Stagecoach the company will also take delivery of nine ADL/BYD electric single decks for the Park & Ride operation in Guildford.
Nine further low entry Volvo B8RLE chassis with the Plaxton Panther LE bodywork will join the East Scotland fleet at Dunfermline, bringing the total number of the type operated to 19. Six of the new Plaxton Panorama vehicles on Volvo B11R chassis will join the West Scotland fleet at Ayr whilst ten Plaxton elite i-bodied Volvo B11Rs will update the Megabus fleet.
Six open top Wrightbus Gemini-bodied Volvo B5TLs are for the Cambridge Sightseeing operation operated by Stagecoach East.
Around a third of the regional order has already been delivered.
London operations will receive 96 vehicles with the 63 double decks being ADL 48v smart hybrids, for Barking and West Ham. 33 MMC Enviro 200s comprise a mix of 8.9 m, 9.7m and 10.8m variants.
Details of the order are as follows. Fleet numbers marked * are the expected number range.

ADL Enviro 400 MMC (94)
10941-10970 Stagecoach South (Worthing)
10971-10981 Stagecoach East Midlands (Mansfield) (Pronto livery)
10982-10996 Stagecoach West (Swindon) (Gold Specification)
11101-11117* Stagecoach Merseyside & South Lancashire (Gilmoss)
11118-11125* Stagecoach Yorkshire (Chesterfield) (Gold Specification)
11126-11138* Stagecoach Midlands (Kettering) (Gold Specification)

Volvo B5TL/Wright Gemini open top (6)
13808-13813 Stagecoach East (Cambridge) (City Sightseeing Cambridge)

ADL Enviro 200MMC 8.9m (1)
37467 Stagecoach South Wales (Porth)

ADL Enviro 200MMC 10.8m (14)
37468-37481 Stagecoach South West (Exeter)

ADL Enviro 200MMC 11.8m (23)
26112-26126 Stagecoach East Scotland (St Andrews)
26127-26134 Stagecoach North Scotland (Inverness/Moray)

ADL Enviro 200/BYD electric (9)
29xxx-29xxx (9 vehicles) Stagecoach South (Guildford) (Guildford Park & Ride)

Volvo B8RLE/Plaxton Panther LE (9)
54511-54519 Stagecoach East Scotland (Dunfermline)

Volvo B11R/Plaxton Panorama (5)
50401-50405 Stagecoach West Scotland (Ayr)

Volvo B11R/Plaxton elite I (10)
54xxx-54xxx (10 vehicles) Megabus Operations (Rugby/Cwmbran)

ADL Enviro 400MMC smart Hybrid (63)
11001-11016 Stagecoach London (Barking)
11017-11054 Stagecoach London (West Ham)
11055-11063 Stagecoach London (Barking)

ADL Enviro 200MMCs (various lengths/door configuration) (33)
37507-37513 Stagecoach London (Kangley Bridge)
37514-37525 Stagecoach London (Romford)
37526-37539 Stagecoach London (Rainham)

Short E200MMC 37467 seen in Pontypridd yesterday on town service 99.

Former Kent Sprinters 44001/5/6 also seen in the area.

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
Western have now started to roll out the new ERG machines and are now accepting payment by Contactless.

I'm assuming East Scotland will soon be following suit?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
Yes but they can't exactly roll contactless out on every route apart from the 73 (which is one of the most revenue gaining routes which EScot have, I believe)...

Dentonian

Established Member
Yes but they can't exactly roll contactless out on every route apart from the 73 (which is one of the most revenue gaining routes which EScot have, I believe)...

If it can justify the employment of "clippies" it should be the most "revenue gaining" route in the whole of the UK!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bluebird Service 10

I've used this service between Elgin and Nairn/Inverness several times over the last few weeks, and while the new Elites are fantastic (I find the USB charging points to be a godsend with a power-hungry phone), I've noticed that the journey has been split. According to the timetable leaflet:

To comply with Drivers Hours regulations, this journey connects at Inverurie Market Place, Huntly Square Interchange, Elgin Bus Station and/or Nairn Bus Station. The connection is guaranteed, through fares are available and passengers may remain on the vehicle which operates through.

I've read that this is due to the difference between UK regulations and EU regulations, but I'm not entirely clear as to what these differences are. It's a bit of a pain in the bahookie from a passenger perspective. Although it's the same vehicle with through fares (and usually the same driver), and the destination displays do display the ultimate destination (eg "Nairn for Inverness"), it makes using the Stagecoach app an utter pain when I have to save each leg of the journey separately, and in both directions! I note that the 34X was also labelled as "Carrbridge for Aviemore", so I'm assuming there's some dodge going on! Would anyone care to explain?

Volvodart

Established Member
It is so drivers can work to domestic driving hours rules, rather than having to operate to the European rules that the full route version had to previously operate.

So for instance drivers can drive under domestic hrs for 5 hr 30 mins then have minimum break of 30 mins non tachograph where as EU is 4 hrs 30 then minimum break of 45 mins and tachograph

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Any idea when Megabus stopped running the M18 Bath to London? Someone on a different forum mentioned this service had stopped running, and a quick tweet to Megabus confirmed this was the case, but curious when it actually stopped. Also curious as to how Megabus decide what routes to run / drop, since this is the second time in about 2 years they have started and then dropped this route! (it's a bit annoying as it catches you out totally, as when routes are dropped there is no big media PR push like when routes are started!)

Last edited:

Mwanesh

Any idea when Megabus stopped running the M18 Bath to London? Someone on a different forum mentioned this service had stopped running, and a quite tweet to Megabus confirmed this was the case, but curious when it actually stopped. Also curious as to how Megabus decide what routes to run / drop, since this is the second time in about 2 years they have started and then dropped this route! (it's a bit annoying as it catches you out totally, as when routes are dropped there is no big media PR push like when routes are started!)
It stopped in June when timetables where changed.It was running empty most of the time .

It is so drivers can work to domestic driving hours rules, rather than having to operate to the European rules that the full route version had to previously operate.
Same in Barnsley S/C have just introduced X17 Chesterfield-Barnsley to comply with hrs they split at sheffield

extendedpaul

It stopped in June when timetables where changed.It was running empty most of the time .
Not really true and I travelled on it several times but loadings on the journeys I made were between 15 and 25 and that's not enough for Megabus. The required change of vehicle at Membury services on most journeys was a deterrent to regular passengers

Mwanesh

Not really true and I travelled on it several times but loadings on the journeys I made were between 15 and 25 and that's not enough for Megabus. The required change of vehicle at Membury services on most journeys was a deterrent to regular passengers
Thats not enough to sustain a service.

Surreyman

Stagecoach Uk Bus Operators Licence Question.
Been on line today on the GOV - VOSA website, checking the number of vehicles allowed at each operating centre (Depots & Outstations) for every Stagecoach subsidiary.
There is is some out of date stuff on there - Outstations & depots stay on there, even when they have closed. (Presumably updated when O licence renewed?)
Highland is the strange one, it clearly lists the 9 outstations on Orkney(just places they park school buses I think) but Tain doesn't seem to exist, checked by Name, area(Tain!), It is clearly there on Google maps - postcode IV19 !PP (satellite image shows a building and a yard with a Stagecoach bus in it).
MBonwicks latest Stagecoach fleetlists lists it with current allocation and routes & PVRs.
Can anyone shed any light?

route101

Established Member
Tried to get a citylink 900 yesterday from Glasgow to Edinburgh , was a long line waiting , must be the festival.

Volvodart

Established Member
Stagecoach today (28 August 2018) announced ambitious £56m plans to deliver Europe's largest single investment in electric buses for Greater Manchester.

https://www.stagecoach.com/media/news-releases/2018/2018-08-28.aspx

STAGECOACH REVEALS AMBITIOUS £56M PLANS TO DELIVER EUROPE'S BIGGEST INVESTMENT IN ELECTRIC BUSES FOR GREATER MANCHESTER
28 Aug 2018

Proposal for new 105-vehicle fleet of zero emissions buses and associated infrastructure
Green e-buses could be introduced between 2019 and 2020 under new partnership plans
Initiative backed by Mayor of Greater Manchester, TfGM and other local organisations
Huge boost for region's air quality, economy and communities, plus UK manufacturing
Application for support funding from Government's Ultra-Low Emission Bus Scheme
Partnership best and quickest route to securing improvements to region's bus network
Stagecoach today (28 August 2018) announced ambitious £56m plans to deliver Europe's largest single investment in electric buses for Greater Manchester.

The first of the planned 105 new zero emissions double-decker buses and associated infrastructure is hoped to go live from summer 2019, delivering a massive boost to local air quality and UK manufacturing, with the new fleet fully in place by early 2020.

Stagecoach, Britain's biggest bus and coach operator, has pledged to invest £34.6m in the ground-breaking project, which is backed by Greater Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, Transport for Greater Manchester and other key organisations

The plans are dependent on a bid for £21.5m in support from the Government's recently announced Ultra-Low Emission Bus Scheme, which is aimed at cutting emissions and ensuring cleaner and greener journeys.

New Enviro400 EV City vehicles, each with a range of up to 190 miles and capacity to carry around 80 passengers, would be built by the UK's leading electric bus manufacturer Alexander Dennis using battery and power electronics expertise from automotive company BYD.

Multi-million-pound Investment will also be made in delivering infrastructure and power requirements at depot level. Intelligent chargers will be used to limit loadings on the electricity supply and maximise vehicle availability.

Stagecoach is already the UK's biggest investor in hybrid-electric bus technology and has invested more than £1billion in new greener buses over the past decade. The new e-bus fleet for Manchester would significantly outstrip plans recently announced by London Mayor Sadiq Khan for 68 new electric double-decker buses in the capital.

Transforming the air quality in Greater Manchester is one part of a wider multi-million-pound partnership blueprint developed by bus operators to deliver a step-change in the region's bus network. Working with the Mayor and local authorities, it would deliver more comprehensive services, better value fares, simpler ticketing, an improved customer experience, as well as addressing issues around damaging car congestion which impacts bus punctuality.

Martin Griffiths, Chief Executive of Stagecoach Group, said: "This game-changing initiative is the biggest single investment in e-bus technology anywhere in Europe. It is a clear sign of our bold ambition to transform Greater Manchester's bus network

"Our plans will put Greater Manchester at the forefront of the drive to improve local air quality, and help cement Britain's position as global leader in manufacturing low-emission vehicles. It is also part of our wider partnership proposals to maximise the potential of the bus network to drive the region's economy and better connect its communities.

"By working together, bus operators , the Mayor and the region's local authorities can deliver the quick and sustained improvements we all want to see in Greater Manchester's bus network, building on the major progress we've already made and avoiding unnecessary extra costs to local taxpayers."

Stagecoach's plans would see the new e-buses - which would replace conventional Euro 3 and Euro 4 vehicles - based at its depots in Hyde Road and Sharston. Major charging infrastructure would allow buses to be charged simultaneously, enabling a 24 hour-a-day operation.

The e-bus fleet would operate four key high frequency services connecting Manchester city centre, Manchester Airport, Manchester Piccadilly railway station, six hospitals and two universities. It would also complement recent public investment in bus priority measures in the south of the city.

Two further high frequency services would be operated predominantly by electric vehicles, supported by existing low carbon certified hybrid vehicles at peak times, meaning 36 buses per hour in each direction would be operated by the new e-bus fleet. The introduction of new electric buses will also enable the cascade of existing low-carbon emissions vehicles onto two routes serving Trafford and Salford.

Around 15-20 buses would be introduced a month from summer 2019, with full roll out achieved by early 2020. Infrastructure works would begin in the autumn of 2018 and be fully completed by spring 2019.

The new e-bus fleet for Greater Manchester offers a 62% improvement in CO2 emissions over the latest low-carbon emission buses and supports the region's Air Quality Action Plan. Overall, the initiative would save 2.6 million litres of diesel a year, reduce annual CO2 by 6,800 tonnes , and cut NOx emissions by 24% and particulates by 20% across the fleet.

Poor air quality is estimated to contribute to more than 40,000 premature deaths across the UK each year, with emissions from cars and vans estimated to cost £6bn annually to the NHS and society.

Stagecoach's ground-breaking initiative would also help accelerate the introduction of e-buses across Europe. There are currently around 725,000 buses in operation across Europe, but only an estimated 2,500 of those are fully electric.