• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach ITSO Smartcard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuSiVe

My trusty Stagecoach Smartcard should have had its monthly recurring Megarider loaded onto it yesterday, but on attempting to use it the ticket machine flashed red and "Travel Not Allowed". Bus driver told me the ticket had run out and made me buy a paper ticket to travel (thank deities for contactless as I no longer bother to carry cash around with me....) Had been charged for the monthly ticket a couple of weeks ago so that shouldn't have been the problem.

Rang the helpline who told me to try on another bus, which also said no. The second driver was a regular who recognised me and was much more helpful. She suggested that the card itself may have expired as it was 5 years old.

Ringing the helpline again they said that the card didn't expire but it may have run out of space for tickets. After quizzing me about attempts to use it and any damage they are going to replace it and refund paper tickets bought in the meantime.

Am wondering if anyone knows what the real story might be? Seems a bit odd that 60 monthly tickets breaks the system, and if it does why wouldn't they know about it and preempt problems by sending out a new card after than amount of time. Do weekly tickets take up the same space and mean a card needs replacing after just over a year?

Thanks if anyone can help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Megafuss

The type of ITSO smart card used for period tickets only hold 5 ticket types. Once a 6th is added it won't work. If a driver adds a ticket instead of topping up the same 7 day Megarider then a slot gets used up.

LuSiVe

Interesting. I've only ever had the same recurring monthly Megarider bought over the internet 5 years ago, so I wonder how it's decided which slot that uses, and how it can have changed slot over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.