Stagecoach Minibuses now launched in Ashford

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by HY_4273, 23 Jan 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mph1977

mph1977 Member

also given that 'grandfather rights D1 is 'not for hire or reward' = although i did hear some rumour that somehow driver CPC would remove that restriction .

and that the youngest grandfather rights holders of C1 and D1 are in their late 30s now ... Potentially you are faced with havign to train the drivers anyway

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

D1 101 would indeed be no use, but it's much quicker and therefore cheaper to train someone to drive what is basically a big van.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

It was abandoned in many areas (or loadings increased so it was worth putting bigger buses on again).

Some areas cling on - Notably Halifax with TJ Walsh's:

300 (recently dropped to) every 15 minutes to Sowerby
    525 every 8 minutes to Ovenden (no afternoon service)
    600 every 10 minutes to Ovenden
    700 every 10 minutes to Illingworth

They run a few less frequent services, mostly under contract, but have only just finished upgrading from Breadvans (a family member sold them a low mileage Transit van which had been converted from a minibus for spares).

4. Andyh82

Andyh82 Member

And even then some are still a modern version of a breadvan, some fairly new DDA exempt welfare style minibuses.

5. Bletchleyite

What's interesting (and positive) is that while these vehicles don't legally have to be DDA compliant as they are too small for that requirement, they nonetheless are compliant.

That means a significant increase in capacity for wheelchair passengers over a larger bus with one wheelchair bay on a lower frequency.

6. the101

the101 Member

Would be wrong.

D1 goes up to 16 passenger seats. These, according to a press report when the order was placed, are definitely 17 seaters and so a category D will be required.

7. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

Or a seat could be removed?

8. mph1977

mph1977 Member

a '17 seat ' minibus physically has 17 seats in it , d1 allows you to carry 16 passengers ...

9. Busaholic

Am I missing something? If you permanently remove a seat from a '17 seat minibus' it becomes a '16 seat minibus' - or, perhaps it doesn't under Construction and Use, or whatever it's called now. Please clarify.

10. Bletchleyite

What is usually described as a "17 seater minibus" (D1) has 16 passenger seats plus one seat for the driver.

Do these minibuses definitely have 17 passenger seats? This would seem a very odd choice if so.

11. Bletchleyite

Yes. A "17 seat minibus" has 16 passenger seats plus one for the driver. The driver is not a passenger when considering the number of seats to determine whether D1 is applicable or not.

12. mph1977

mph1977 Member

do you levitate when driving a motor vehicle ?

a D1 vehicle with 17 physical seats is entirely legal as a D1 vehicle ... the 17th seat is for the driver ...

13. Busaholic

Heard something on the radio yesterday about a guy 6ft 6ins who pleaded guilty to dangerous or careless driving (not sure which) because he was driving with his head extended above the windscreen - I believe it was a convertible. Apparently the police thought he was standing up while driving, but he maintains he wasn't. As he pleaded guilty, we may never know the full story.

14. Busaholic

I've never heard of bus seating described this way. A 56 seat bus, thousands or which existed in my youth, usually delineated into separate figures for upstairs and downstairs on a decker, would thus be described as a 57 seater now? The driver's seat was taken for granted, so never mentioned, as it would never be available for passenger use.

15. Deerfold

Deerfold Established Member

Presumably they're preparing for driverless buses.

16. GusB

GusB Member

The seating capacity would usuallly exclude the driver's seat and specifically refer to passenger accomodation.

56 isn't a common figure, though. B53F was the standard for a 11m service bus and C49F for a vehicle of similar length with coach seats.

17. Bletchleyite

For some reason it seems to only be minibuses that are described in this way (usually informally). I think it's probably because, with things like D1 (101) and the post-1997 exemption for charity/nonprofit use under Section 19, the driver is much more likely to be one of the people you are needing to transport than on a full-size bus.

18. DD12

DD12 Member

It certainly is a fascinating development !

Can anyone tell me how many standees will be allowed please ?

(P.S: I don't like the idea of high-backed seats in a minibus for BUS services -

sounds claustrophobic !)

19. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Arriva recently trialled a Mercedes Benz Strata (DC16 OBY) in the Macclesfield area. It didn't go down too well when people got left behind because the bus was too small!

20. jcollins

jcollins Veteran Member

Apparently 8 meaning a maximum capacity of 22 passengers.

They have a maximum capacity of 22 which presumably means 6 standing.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.