• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North West Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cainebj

Established Member
May be of interest to some.
The number of drivers going to Olympics from NW depots:
Barrow 16
Carlisle 29
Kendal 3
Morecambe 29
West Cumbria 22
Chorley 11
Gillmoss 63
Preston 33
Total 206

Unsurprisingly, Manchester are sending the most drivers, at 223.

ZahnradFabrik

May be of interest to some.
The number of drivers going to Olympics from NW depots:
Barrow 16
Carlisle 29
Kendal 3
Morecambe 29
West Cumbria 22
Chorley 11
Gillmoss 63
Preston 33
Total 206

Unsurprisingly, Manchester are sending the most drivers, at 223.

Thankfully they are going in a staggered pattern, eg CE aren't losing 29 all in one go!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
35246 noted back in service on extra X5s, after blowing its engine on 300s few weeks before the open day.

And I'm currently on said bus, on said route (300), on my way home from work! :lol:

cainebj

Established Member
Former London buses can’t cope on Cumbria's open roads

Stagecoach says it has sorted out a reliability problem with ex-London double-decker buses not used to travelling at more than 10mph on Cumbria’s open roads.
This had led to repeated breakdowns on its 104 bus service between Carlisle and Penrith.
Elizabeth Senior contacted the News & Star after she was left stranded in torrential rain when her bus failed to turn up on Thursday.
The 63-year-old widow catches the 104 at Armathwaite road end – on the A6 near High Hesket – five days a week to visit the DW gym in Carlisle, which she attends for medical reasons.
She said: “I went for the 11.03am bus, stood at the bus stop for 40 minutes and got soaking wet.
“There is no bus shelter on either side of the road and the wind just blows across from the M6. If it had been winter, I would have had hypothermia.”
She added: “This isn’t the first time the bus hasn’t come. It has happened half a dozen times in the lastcouple of months.”
Stagecoach increased the frequency of the 104 from hourly to half-hourly in March when it drafted in double-deckers from London to cover the extra journeys. It is these, Mrs Senior says, that keep breaking down.
She said: “They are clapped out, totally unreliable. If Stagecoach can’t provide reliable vehicles they should give up the service and allow Reays to do it.”
Matt Cranwell, operations director for Stagecoach Cumbria and North Lancashire, has sent a letter of apology. This says that reliability problems are “totally unacceptable”.
It adds: “I can assure you that we take matters such as these extremely seriously and we will be looking to ensure that we do not see a repeat of the problems you have encountered.
“I am confident that the issues we were having have now been resolved.”
Mr Cranwell told the News & Star that engineers had modified the seven-year-old double-deckers to improve reliability. He said: “These were ex-London vehicles that had been operating stop-start, rarely at speeds of more than 10mph.
“When you change the kind of work a vehicle does there can be problems.
“We believe we have got to the bottom of them but we will be monitoring the service very closely.”

I didn't realise 18357 was ex London :lol: 17017 is a bit more than 7 years old too!

Mattdw92

Workington, North West/Newcastle Upon Tyne, North
cainebj said:
Stagecoach increased the frequency of the 104 from hourly to half-hourly in March when it drafted in double-deckers from London to cover the extra journeys. It is these, Mrs Senior says, that keep breaking down.

I too get Kendal, Lillyhall and London mistaken When writing an inaccurate article. Thought I was the only one, silly me.
*facepalm*

mbonwick

Established Member
And to be fair, the 7 year old example (18357) has never been anywhere near London! In fact I don't think its been futher south than its original home of Manchester.

Either that or they were trying to do Stagecoach a favour and not mention the 13 year old ex-London vehicle! (17017)

Dallamlad

Established Member
The article is rubbish but they are tryong to make a point about 17017 which, as we all know, is not fit for the job it has. It was rubbish at LL and is not great at CE neither is 18357 but they have to work with what they are given!!!

stagecoachuk

The article is rubbish but they are tryong to make a point about 17017 which, as we all know, is not fit for the job it has. It was rubbish at LL and is not great at CE neither is 18357 but they have to work with what they are given!!!

The solution has been to take them off the 104 and keep Olympians on this week and the latter parts of last week. Mind only because they are both VOR!

Dallamlad

Established Member
The solution has been to take them off the 104 and keep Olympians on this week and the latter parts of last week. Mind only because they are both VOR!

I actually don't know what the solution is. 17017 is clearly not suitable for Cumbria in general as we've known for a very long time. 18357 spent 4 or so years on the 555 so will be a bit tired I'm sure. I personally can't think of anything within the region that is LF that could replace the Tridents on the 104 aside from more 2005 Tridents.

mbonwick

Established Member
17020 being worked hard on 755 this evening.

Spotted from the top of Heversham Head was an Olympian (probably Leyland) on front suspended tow heading south on the A6.
I'm guessing it's one of Kendal's being towed down to Morecambe for major mechanical attention. Can Gez or Jonesy shed any light please?

darrenw29

I actually don't know what the solution is. 17017 is clearly not suitable for Cumbria in general as we've known for a very long time. 18357 spent 4 or so years on the 555 so will be a bit tired I'm sure. I personally can't think of anything within the region that is LF that could replace the Tridents on the 104 aside from more 2005 Tridents.

Unless they have to be deckers, how about a pair of Mans from ME after the olympics???

Dallamlad

Established Member
Unless they have to be deckers, how about a pair of Mans from ME after the olympics???

MANs will be no better. They are fine on flats but put them under any pressure and they'll crumble lol. I think the whole point of the frequency been enhanced on the 104 was to have 2 extra capacity runs hence the deckers.

On a side note, I believe Rotala have 3 Wright Streetlites on order for Preston Bus. With all the investment they have secured for PB they are going to make Stagecoach look a bid shabby and old hat!

Last edited:

cainebj

Established Member
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leyland-D...K_Minibuses_Buses_Coaches&hash=item3f197c2b39

I think it is the same one that has been advertised for sale for a while now on a bus sales website.
Shame Stagecoach won't get it back, it'd be a damn sight more reliable for 104's than the Tridents are :lol:

Singles would be fine on daytime runs, and over summer, but I think the college time ones are where the deckers are needed, with them only working the daytime runs so they're there ready for the college times.
There's been a rumour for some time now that Lillyhall will be getting MANs from Morecambe to see off their B10M's, but as far as I'm aware it is only a rumour.

jonesy3001

Established Member

Spotted from the top of Heversham Head was an Olympian (probably Leyland) on front suspended tow heading south on the A6.
I'm guessing it's one of Kendal's being towed down to Morecambe for major mechanical attention. Can Gez or Jonesy shed any light please?

16665 me ole mucker
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Dont know whats leaving yet when the enviro 300/400s come back from the olympics.
The oddballs were supposed to be going(14196,16103,16331,16447 and 16877) when the Scanias turn up but i think thats changed now as the scania's have been diverted to barrow.

Last edited:

stagecoachuk

Indeed, its for Olympic cover on the 79's.

20133 on 600 yesterday and today. 20128 due in service too.

67/68 branded 34706 on 61s along with MAN 24121.

Trident 18357 on 685 before going back to Penrith on 104's. 17017 back out too.

Dallamlad

Established Member
20795 out and about just now, think it was on a 42. Looking forward to seeing them all the time over summer!

KendalKing

Established Member
20795 out and about just now, think it was on a 42. Looking forward to seeing them all the time over summer!

Not seen that one yet.

But 20131, 20546, 20547, & 20905 have been kept buzy today, along with 21003, 21004, 21005, & 21007.

Please note that accordingto the online fleet list, and the 2012 handbooks (British Bus & GBBG) 20905 does not exist!

Last edited:

CumbrianJosh

20133 on 600 yesterday and today. 20128 due in service too.

67/68 branded 34706 on 61s along with MAN 24121.

Trident 18357 on 685 before going back to Penrith on 104's. 17017 back out too.

must have been a bit of chopping and changing on the 104 today.. 16338(which is always on there these days) and 18357 where on this morning at about 10, lets hope 17017 comes back better.. although I'm sure we always say that.

Mshaplin

I was the driver of 17020 - certainly not the best choice!
16665 just died and wouldn't restart, Volvo computer says no!

Dallamlad

Established Member
I was the driver of 17020 - certainly not the best choice!
16665 just died and wouldn't restart, Volvo computer says no!

I can imagine 17020 been a bit...erm...sluggish on the 755 and that on has a better engine then the other, not that there's many on the road.

How are 17023/24 anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.