• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North West Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KendalKing

Established Member
No
bus I'm thinking of had the red/grey timesaver livery, but without the timesaver branding on the upper deck. Instead there was a blue flying bird sillhoutte with a different brand name, fairly certain it was one of the C17X batch, but not one that normally worked to Lancaster, where I saw it twice, I think on the 555.
its not that lakes advertising bus

Could it be the Kingfisher livery

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8397/8683026580_e435a3494f_b.jpg

KendalKing

Established Member
Or red. Or grey, sort of.

Blue on the first batch (A reg, 2156-2159), some of which worked on the Keswicks for a time, Red on that later batch that worked on the Prestons and Blackpools (C reg) as well, with 2170's livery an oddity for a time.

This is how I remember Ribble liveries:-

Timesaver - Blue & Grey (Limited stop buses)
Kingfisher - Red & Grey (Budget Coaches & Open-Top buses)
Sandpiper - Red & Yellow (Excutive Coaches)

TheHovisKid

This is how I remember Ribble liveries:-

Timesaver - Blue & Grey (Limited stop buses)
Kingfisher - Red & Grey (Budget Coaches & Open-Top buses)
Sandpiper - Red & Yellow (Excutive Coaches)
That's all very well, however you're saying what you think the livery on the C reg 217x batch wasn't, but conveniently not saying what it was. Do tell......
And there were 10 of them, demonstrably marauding around painted like that, with the word "Timesaver" not "Kingfisher" painted on them, and they weren't open top. I used to go swimming from school on them, so they definitely existed....

Look, see:
39952352683_695f06813f_b.jpg

Red & Grey- Check!
Timesaver Branding- Check!
Roof- Check!

So, Timesaver Livery in Red and Grey is what it says on the tin, I'm afraid

randyrippley

Established Member

After looking at that and a few other photos I'm certain now that it was one of the C17x deckers in the red Kingfisher livery - I misremembered which bird
Just to confuse things though, a quick search online reveals two other Ribble Kingfisher variants
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8356/8333250254_238006d3db_b.jpg
https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...-Bodied-Leyland-Tiger-MRJ-272W-Kingfisher.jpg

Where was the Kingfisher livery used - was it mainly around Carlisle? I don't remember anything around Lancaster / Morecambe using it except for that one double decker which I assume had come in on the 555

randyrippley

Established Member
That's all very well, however you're saying what you think the livery on the C reg 217x batch wasn't, but conveniently not saying what it was. Do tell......
And there were 10 of them, demonstrably marauding around painted like that, with the word "Timesaver" not "Kingfisher" painted on them, and they weren't open top. I used to go swimming from school on them, so they definitely existed....

Look, see:
39952352683_695f06813f_b.jpg

Red & Grey- Check!
Timesaver Branding- Check!
Roof- Check!

So, Timesaver Livery in Red and Grey is what it says on the tin, I'm afraid

I never saw one in blue, they were all red - but I don't remember any branding other than Ribble, except for one which as I said in my last post I now believe was branded Kingfisher

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
two photos of C174ECK, one red/white, the other red/white/grey, just Ribble branding
https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5072/7424760272_0dcd91e168.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/4829/30975519887_c8d4a4c745_b.jpg

2175 with just Ribble branding
https://farm2.static.flickr.com/1962/44666537224_12435a80f8_b.jpg

2176, also just Ribble branding
https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8117/8698445716_89032fcd4a_b.jpg

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/...al-Bus-Slide-Ribble-Olympian-2177-C177ECK.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/4128/5092965543_119c50c32a_b.jpg

Its my belief that only 2170/1 and possibly 2172 got Timesaver branding, while either 2172 or 2173 got Kingfisher

Last edited:

tjwpsv

At around 6:20pm today, one of the Lakesider open toppers was southbound on the M6, just past J14, entering the West Midlands. That's a long way from home... Does anyone know where it was heading, please?

At around 6:20pm today, one of the Lakesider open toppers was southbound on the M6, just past J14, entering the West Midlands. That's a long way from home... Does anyone know where it was heading, please?

A teaser on Twitter suggests it was heading to Stagecoach Cwmbran depot open day

LancasterRed

Lancaster has its new 100/2X branded buses running. No idea on specifics or when they started but very pleasant with an interesting seat design. Not fun over bumps mind

TheHovisKid

Lancaster has its new 100/2X branded buses running. No idea on specifics or when they started but very pleasant with an interesting seat design. Not fun over bumps mind
I'm surprised they've route branded as 2X/100, when they'll have to change it back in a few months, presumably?

Bwsbro

I'm surprised they've route branded as 2X/100, when they'll have to change it back in a few months, presumably?

Why would the service have to return to its old service number. Too many changes only causes confusion to passengers

randyrippley

Established Member
Why would the service have to return to its old service number. Too many changes only causes confusion to passengers

its already confusing with the 1, 1A, 100, 2x seemingly choosing random routes through Heysham. Since Greyhound bridge reopened they've reset the services twice and it still makes no sense.
Worst is the 2x, supposed to be an express Morecambe-Heysham-Lancaster via the bypass, but half the time its just an extension of the 100 as far as Heysham..........totally daft.
And which route the buses take along Heysham Rd and / or Kingsway / Sugham Lane / Balmoral Rd / Stanley Rd seems totally reliant on the whim of the driver.
They've combined the 1,2,2A,2x,3,4 into three routes (100 & 2x being two halves of the same service) and made it totally uncertain where they go. Stagecoach have really made a mess of this

michael Bell

its already confusing with the 1, 1A, 100, 2x seemingly choosing random routes through Heysham. Since Greyhound bridge reopened they've reset the services twice and it still makes no sense.
Worst is the 2x, supposed to be an express Morecambe-Heysham-Lancaster via the bypass, but half the time its just an extension of the 100 as far as Heysham..........totally daft.
And which route the buses take along Heysham Rd and / or Kingsway / Sugham Lane / Balmoral Rd / Stanley Rd seems totally reliant on the whim of the driver.
They've combined the 1,2,2A,2x,3,4 into three routes (100 & 2x being two halves of the same service) and made it totally uncertain where they go. Stagecoach have really made a mess of this

Is the 2x supposed to be Express or was it the x version of the 2 (Stagecoach do not advertise as Express) its just a quicker route to Heysham due to cutting Morecambe out.
As the 2 is the 100 for the a 100 year celibration of Ribble and the Lancaster to Morecambe section is the nearest to the old L5 service between the 2 towns.
A 2x goes from Lancaster through White Lund Industrial Estate and the Heysham link road down to Heysham Village then to Morecambe battery and along the prom to the station and what is classed as a Bus Station and changes to a 100 and then back to the prom and down to Bare then back to Lancaster. Some route 100 turn into 2x at Morecambe bus Station and go on to Heysham and back to Lancaster. The 1 and 1A denotes 2 different ways through Morecambe to Heysham these were in the first revamp all numbered 1 but due to local requests were renumbered 1 and 1a.
4 is a separate single deck service from the University to Lancaster Station and has to pass under a low bridge on the Quay. As a local resident I do not see what the confusion is and when on the bus station people seem to know which service they need so what is the problem

LancasterRed

The issues with Lancaster could easily warrant their own thread.

Think the 40/41/42 has new buses now too, if so I hope the old ones are used to bolster services in and around Lancaster to hold off the overcrowding. I haven't done the maths with Common Garden Street and RLI's stops but it's fair to say they're used a LOT. (assume an average of 20 people get off on every 1/1A and about 5-10 on every other university service and it adds up fast)

TheHovisKid

At the other end, there's a lack of services on Heysham Road between the Strawberry Gardens and Heysham Towers, with a vast service out and back via Mossgate- could have run them circular at this end (say, out via Mossgate, back via Heysham Road) and served both

KendalKing

Established Member
Stagecoach has lost a lot of passengers, due to keep messing with services. My wife and myself, now use the train were possible, as the trains are Faster, Cheaper and more reliable.

KendalKing

Established Member
At the other end, there's a lack of services on Heysham Road between the Strawberry Gardens and Heysham Towers, with a vast service out and back via Mossgate- could have run them circular at this end (say, out via Mossgate, back via Heysham Road) and served both
I am very surprised that another operator, hasn't moved into the Lancaster/Morecambe area. Lancaster/Morecambe area, needs an operator that operate buses, that suit the needs of the local people. i.e. Buses, which can get workers to work in time, and back home again. My sister-in-law lost her job because, she was unable to get to work on time, also she couldn't get home after work, due there being no buses, to get home again.

goldisgood

Stagecoach has lost a lot of passengers, due to keep messing with services. My wife and myself, now use the train were possible, as the trains are Faster, Cheaper and more reliable.
Haven't Stagecoach recently bought loads of new double deckers for the area because of the passenger growth that they have seen, or am I missing something?

randyrippley

Established Member
Spent much of the day travelling on the new Morecambe fleet and not impressed.
Sweaty leather-look hose-down PVC seats which make your underwear ride up inside your trousers, rattle-prone gasket windows, handrails which rattle - and have significant gaps around the pram/wheelchair refuge meaning its impossible to keep hand on rail while walking forward, flexing body, jerking gear changes, suspension clearly not up to the plethora of speedbumps on the route. PIS system fitted, not working.
And they smell of hot oil.
Overall not impressed - the old ECW and Leyland bodied Olympians rattled less thirty years ago

LancasterRed

they're for the students.......intensive university services

Yep.

As an update to this now university is well underway - there still isn't enough capacity for everyone. I'm not sure what fate came of the older buses however if there is sufficient staff to run extra services then Lancaster needs them

KendalKing

Established Member
There are a number of services revisions due to take place in Lancaster & Morecambe area, on 20 April.

The following services are being re-timed to improve reliability 2X, 5, 6, 6A, 7, 10, 11, 18, 40, 41, 42, 100.
Service 55 will no longer run to Warton or the Kellets, with all journeys terminating at Carnforth Railway Station.
Services 80, 81 are being reroute via Halton (Low Road), instead of Danny Beck,

KendalKing

Established Member
Emergency Timetables, as from Monday 23rd March. Most services are having the frequency halved, with some Schools/Colleges services being temporary withdrawn.

All Lancaster Town Services 7, 10, 11, 18 will be hourly.

The Summer services in the Lakes, will remain on the Winter timetables.

backontrack

Established Member
The council is looking at all 108 bus services that it subsidises in the county as it seeks to save money in the face of Government spending cuts.

The 30 Allerdale services affected by the review include:

* 60 Maryport to Skinburness, operated by Reay’s Coaches
* 36 Cockermouth to Workington via Brigham, operated by John Hoban Travel
* 36 Cockermouth to Workington via Brigham, operated by Reay’s Coaches
* 35 Cockermouth to Workington via Great Broughton, operated by Reay’s Coaches
* 35 Cockermouth to Workington via Great Broughton, operated by AA Travel
* 222 Workington to Whitehaven via Pica and Gilgarran, operated by John Hoban Travel
* 218 Frizington to Workington via Dean (Fridays), operated by J B Pickthall
* 39 Aspatria to Carlisle via Fletchertown (Tuesday and Friday), operated by Reay’s Coaches
* 56 Maryport Town Service, operated by Stagecoach
* 57 Maryport Town Service (late afternoons), which calls at Victoria Cottage Hospital, operated by Stagecoach
* 58 Maryport to Cockermouth via Dearham and Broughton Moor, operated by Stagecoach
* 101 Cockermouth to Rose Lane, operated by Ken Routledge
* 949 Buttermere to Cockermouth Dial a Ride, operated by Ken Routledge
* 34 Cockermouth to Slatefell, operated by Reay’s Coaches
* 36 Cockermouth to Workington via Brigham, operated by Reay’s Coaches
* 217 Cockermouth to Cleator Moor via Eaglesfield and Dean, operated by Rosie’s Travel
* 77/77A Keswick to Buttermere Honister Rambler (summer only), operated by Stagecoach
* 78 Keswick to Seatoller Borrowdale Bus (winter Sundays), operated by Stagecoach
* 554 Carlisle to Keswick via Wigton and Bothel (daily in winter), operated by Stagecoach
Ten years on, which of these have survived?

* 60 Maryport to Skinburness, operated by Ellenvale Coaches
* 35 Cockermouth to Workington via Great Broughton, operated by Reay’s Coaches (one service a day on Stagecoach route 33)
* 35 Cockermouth to Workington via Great Broughton, operated by AA Travel
* 222 Workington to Whitehaven via Pica and Gilgarran, operated by John Hoban Travel

* 218 Frizington to Workington via Dean (Fridays), operated by J B Pickthall (no longer serves Mockerkin)
* 39 Fletchertown to Carlisle via Waverbridge, operated by Ellenvale (rerouted to run via Aspatria and Bromfield)
* 56 Maryport Town Service, operated by Stagecoach
* 57 Maryport Town Service, operated by Stagecoach
* 58 Maryport to Cockermouth via Dearham and Broughton Moor, operated by Stagecoach
* 68 Maryport to Cockermouth via Dearham and Broughton Moor, operated by Ellenvale Coaches – rerouted via Great Broughton instead of Dovenby – has replaced the 58
* C1 Cockermouth to Strawberry How, operated by Stagecoach (service route altered)
* 949 Buttermere to Cockermouth Dial a Ride, operated by Ken Routledge
* C2 Cockermouth to Slatefell, operated by Stagecoach
* 36 Cockermouth to Workington via Brigham, operated by Reay’s Coaches (Stagecoach X5 partially diverted to serve Bridgefoot and Broughton Cross; Stagecoach C3 serves Mayo Street and Brigham Road)
* 217 Cockermouth to Frizington via Eaglesfield and Dean, operated by J B Pickthall (Wednesday only; no longer serves Ennerdale Bridge or Cleator Moor)
* 77/77A Keswick to Buttermere Honister Rambler (summer only), operated by Stagecoach
* 78 Keswick to Seatoller Borrowdale Bus (winter Sundays), operated by Stagecoach
* 554 Carlisle to Keswick via Wigton and Bothel (daily in winter), operated by Stagecoach

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
Stagecoach bus in Preston this evening with the message "exact fare only" on the headboard.
I know its done elsewhere, but new for Preston I think

randyrippley

Established Member
Couple of recent oddities
MX14 registered double decker in Manchester green on the Lancaster-Morecambe 6A on saturday. From memory the green painted lakes-based buses formerly used on the 555 were older?
And this morning a PX60 (or possibly PN60) plated double decker in what appeared to be a new variant of the blue/green lakes livery on the Preston-Morecambe 41

Status
Not open for further replies.