• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

stagecoach routes??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cundy66

Would like to know from members does stagecoach operate in your area, where is that and where do the routes go to?

Tried searching the website but the map doesnt make it exactly clear where the routes stretch to.

I know majority of routes in south yorkshire but still will help with route planning.

I want to see in my next holiday how far I can get on my staff pass.

(London routes appreciated with zones if possible as staff passes aren't accepted unless TFL one which mine isn't )

Thank you and look forward to your replies.

Tom

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sonic2009

Established Member
Stagecoach are the main bus operator from my town which is Tewkesbury and I can get to Bristol/Cardiff within one day by using :

71 Tewkesbury - Gloucester (Stagecoach in Gloucester)
33 Gloucester - Ross-on-Wye - Hereford (Stagecoach Wye + Dean)
X4 Hereford - Abergavenny - Merthyr Tydfil - Cardiff (Stagecoach in South Wales)

or

X4 Hereford - Abergavenny
33 Abergavenny - Pontypool (Changes to X3) - Cwmbran
X24 Cwmbran - Newport
74 Newport - Chepstow (Changes to X14) - Bristol

All Stagecoach in South Wales.

Stageoach West are the main operator within in my area, all are split into 5 different regions. Cheltenham,Gloucester,Wye+Dean,Cotswolds and Swindon.

I could also get to Oxford within a day via Swindon.

41/42 Tewkesbury to Cheltenham
151 Cheltenham - Cirencester (changes to 51) - Swindon
Gold 66 Swindon - Oxford.

Anything else feel free to ask :)

Deerfold

Veteran Member
(London routes appreciated with zones if possible as staff passes aren't accepted unless TFL one which mine isn't )

Tom

Zones do not apply to buses in London. any Travelcard is valid on any TfL bus (so a zone 1 travelcard can be used on the 81 to Slough and a zone 6 travelcard in central London - on buses)

WestCoast

Established Member
Stagecoach are pretty big in Lancashire, Cumbria and Lowland Scotland, you could quite easily get from Manchester to Glasgow. Some of the more useful interurban routes are.

-X60 Manchester - Chorley, which connects to X61 Chorley - Preston
-Summer Satuday X8 Chorley - Preston - Lancaster - Windermere - Keswick (that's a really good one for getting up to the Lake District)
-61/68 Preston - Blackpool
-X2 Preston - Liverpool
-40 Preston - Lancaster

-555/X55 Lancaster - Windermere - Keswick
-559 (Open Top) Bowness - Windermere.

-553/554 Keswick - Wigton - Carlisle
-*685 Carlisle - Newcastle (jointly ran with Arriva)*
-79 Carlisle - Annan
-379 Annan - Dumfries.

-X74 Dumfries - Moffat - Glasgow.

I've emboldened the way from Manchester to Glasgow, which is over 200 miles exclusively on Stagecoach local buses. I wonder if anyone can beat that?

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here.

Although it's rather sparse in the way of maps, all the Stagecoach timetables are available on the website.

WestCoast

Established Member
The OP mentioned travelling as far as possible on a staff pass, so I guess he's looking for suggestions?

Last edited:

martinsh

Established Member
There are NO Stagecoach routes near Crewe I'm glad to say !

However, you CAN travel by Stagecoach all the way from Bolton to Glasgow (and possibly further)

ushawk

Established Member
Stagecoach operate most services East of Eastbourne and all into Kent through Hastings and Rye - possible to go by bus from Eastbourne to Dover (was a direct service once upon a time). Prior to its full operation by Brighton and Hove, you could catch a Stagecoach Route 12 service from Eastbourne to Brighton, and the 700 route from there to Southsea. Could still do it, would just need to get a single on route 12 (could even go a longer route by using Route 51 to Tunbridge Wells, then bus from there to Brighton, then onto Portsmouth.

So Dover to Hastings (Route 101/102 The Wave), Hastings to Eastbourne (Wave Route 99), Eastbourne to Tunbridge Wells (Route 51), Tunbridge Wells to Brighton (Brighton and Hove Route 29 - ticket needed) and Brighton to Portsmouth (Coastliner Route 700)

Cundy66

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve here.

Although it's rather sparse in the way of maps, all the Stagecoach timetables are available on the website.

Basically I'm going abroad next month then following month got a week off to which I'm wanting to have a cheap as possible break and travel around

I think the Manchester to Glasgow sounds tempting

Thanks for replies everyone

district

In Ashford (Kent), Stagecoach operate all routes, with the exception of a few bandit operators.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In my area, Stagecoach are also the main operator. They offer an £8 network ticket which allows travel on any Stagecoach East Midlands bus service (except the Pronto, jointly run with TrentBarton).

The network stretches north to Leeds, with the X62 to Hull - from where the 350 and Humber Flyer can take you into Lincolnshire. At this point you can head to Grimsby or Scunthorpe, which would allow you to do a direct or round the houses route to Lincoln (you can go via Louth and Skegness from Grimsby - or direct).

Unfortunately, it's no longer possible to get to Newark from Lincoln (other than early morning or evening) on Stagecoach, but it would be possible to get into Nottinghamshire via Gainsborough on the 96/97 to Retford, then connecting onto the 99 to Doncaster (run by the same bus) and onto Stagecoach Yorkshire services.

MK Tom

Established Member
Stagecoach operate five routes into Milton Keynes:

40: Bedford-Bromham-Newport Pagnell-CMK
89: Northampton-Blisworth-Towcester-Stony Stratford-CMK
99: Luton Airport-Luton-Kingston-CMK
X4: Peterborough-Corby-Kettering-Wellingborough-Northampton-CMK
X5: Cambridge-St. Neots-Bedford-CMK-Buckingham-Bicester-Oxford

Routes 40 and X5 also serve Milton Keynes Coachway where some Megabus routes connect to London and continental Europe.

I have to say with Arriva as our primary operator in MK I prefer Stagecoach's vehicles, which are always in better condition, and their timekeeping which is very good. However Arriva invest much more in the areas they serve and their fares are better (whilst still shocking). Within MK a Stagecoach single is £2.30 against £2.00 for Arriva and £1.80 for Z&S. A £6.20 return to Northampton compares with a £5.90 one to Aylesbury with Arriva, which is the same distance.

route101

Established Member
First Glasgow operate most services in my neck of the woods but 2 Stagecoach routes come from Ayrshire .

X16 Ayr to Hamilton via East Kilbride and Kilmarnock
TT1 Ayr to Edinburgh Panda express.

Ivo

Established Member
The closest SC regularly get to Bath is Chippenham (55/55A to Swindon). They do run a limited number of journeys on the hourly X14, which is jointly operated with first (each does roughly six journeys per day).

Having said that, if I use my standard plan when going from Bath to Southend by bus I travel with SC from Chippenham to Saffron Walden, spanning six counties!

Status
Not open for further replies.