• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach Smart in East Mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Hi everyone.
Today in Grimsby I paid the usual £10.50 for a local Megarider, but instead of a paper ticket, I got a paper receit and a red/orange Stagecoach Smart card.

This is being introduced on all Stagecoach services in the East Midlands region and also Humberside areas. On Humber Fastcat and Pronto services the receit is needed acording to the leaflet.

What does everyone think about this Smart card?
A waste of time and plastic since the paper is still printed or a great idea since you can just put the card on the scanner fast?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
A great idea as the card doesn't need to be replaced every time you buy a Megarider - you just top up the existing card.

Should speed up ticket issuing massively as well.

It's being rolled out across the country, not just EM.

overthewater

Established Member
A number of other Stagecoach areas have already introduce these Smart cards. The paper should not be getting printed unless its a receipt for the payment made at the start of the week. unless its because its crossing boundaries?

London and Lothian buses have also have this in place it does sometimes speed up the process, it also logs every passenger everytime.

ag51ruk

The receipt may be needed for the Pronto because it's jointly operated by TrentBarton

MCR247

Established Member
The receipt may be needed for the Pronto because it's jointly operated by TrentBarton

Dont see why as they don't accept each others tickets AFAIK so your megarider will be invalid with or without the reciept

GaryMcEwan

Established Member
When I had my smartcard for Stagecoach Glasgow, if you bought your Megarider on the bus with a smartcard, the ETM printed out a receipt for the Megarider that was purchased.

Stagecoach Western are now selling Megariders directly onto Smartcards and have done away with selling paper Megariders when buying it on board...

pjnathanail

Dont see why as they don't accept each others tickets AFAIK so your megarider will be invalid with or without the reciept

Mega rider is accepted on Pronto services operated by Stagecoach and Trent Barton. If travelling on a Trent Barton service the receipt should be shown to allow travel

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Humber Fastcat is joint EYMS/Stagecoach, and is similar to Pronto in that regard.

I know little about this card, could I get a Megarider Plus (same as Grimsby-Cleethorpes local but includes Immingham) on the card I got now?
What about the Megarider Humber ticket which includes Hull? And if so how would the driver know, will long distance buses be awkward when going only a few stops??

LuSiVe

Mega rider is accepted on Pronto services operated by Stagecoach and Trent Barton. If travelling on a Trent Barton service the receipt should be shown to allow travel

My (Chesterfield) Megarider smart card isn't accepted AT ALL on pronto. Neither was the free paper Explorer ticket they sent me when I complained about something.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
My (Chesterfield) Megarider smart card isn't accepted AT ALL on pronto. Neither was the free paper Explorer ticket they sent me when I complained about something.

Trentbarton's website suggests that megariders are now valid on Stagecoach's buses.

https://www.trentbarton.co.uk/services/pronto/our-tickets

How you tell which is which as they approach is less clear. Neither company identifies who runs each bus in their timetables.

ashworth

Established Member

I can just about understand why the Stagecoach Smartcard and Trent Barton Mango Card cannot be used on Pronto because of technical issues of machines reading cards. However, I have never understood why paper Explorer and Zigzag tickets can't be accepted especially when each operator will not even accept their own paper tickets. However, this has been discussed numerous times already in this and other threads. It's a real inconvenience and extra expense if you live close to the Pronto route and have to pay extra, or in my case use the very roundabout Trent Barton 141 route to get into Notttingham or Mansfield before you can use a day ticket on other services.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I can just about understand why the Stagecoach Smartcard and Trent Barton Mango Card cannot be used on Pronto because of technical issues of machines reading cards. However, I have never understood why paper Explorer and Zigzag tickets can't be accepted especially when each operator will not even accept their own paper tickets. However, this has been discussed numerous times already in this and other threads. It's a real inconvenience and extra expense if you live close to the Pronto route and have to pay extra, or in my case use the very roundabout Trent Barton 141 route to get into Notttingham or Mansfield before you can use a day ticket on other services.

Did you miss my post? Stagecoach do now accept their own paper and electronic tickets.

Well, for Megariders, but not explorers.

More here:

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-and-offers/east-midlands/guide-to-tickets#tab4

ashworth

Established Member
Did you miss my post? Stagecoach do now accept their own paper and electronic tickets.

Well, for Megariders, but not explorers.

No I did not miss your post. I was referring to paper versions of the day tickets like the Stagecoach Explorer and the Trent Barton Zigzag.

175mph

On Moderation
Now they charge 50p for all new cards issued on the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.